Author Topic: Strange material behaviour  (Read 11714 times)

2015-03-06, 22:29:22
Reply #15

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Try this:

1) Check how HDRI behøves with default corona materiale. Make a small box on top of a bigger box, both with default material. Are there any contact shadows? If not, you need more light. If yes, then go to next point.

2) How is the table material made? Shadow catcher or a Wood-material? How does it behave without bump/normal map/displacement? Any kind of self illumination?

Hope it helps

2015-03-07, 07:46:51
Reply #16

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive ran a test with two boxes with corona and standard materials applied to each one, contact shadows on corona material are a bit stronger than the standard but still not strong enough. Also I dont see boxes making any contact shadows with the table. Thoughts?

2015-03-07, 08:32:55
Reply #17

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
There is shadow. But if you want it to be more distinct, make sure that yor object don't touch ground very firmly. Either lift them a notch, or give a small chamfer to outer edges of those boxes.

P.S: I rendered the scene with a different HDRI which is quite high res (200mb in size) but still im not getting any contact shadows! :(

File size of HDRI tells almost nothing about its quality.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-03-07, 08:42:05
Reply #18

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is shadow. But if you want it to be more distinct, make sure that yor object don't touch ground very firmly. Either lift them a notch, or give a small chamfer to outer edges of those boxes.

P.S: I rendered the scene with a different HDRI which is quite high res (200mb in size) but still im not getting any contact shadows! :(

File size of HDRI tells almost nothing about its quality.

So how do I tell if an HDRI is high quality or not? Any personal favorite website you may wanna suggest where I can get decent HDRI ?

2015-03-07, 14:00:53
Reply #19

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This will get you going:-

http://noemotionhdrs.net/

Perhaps when setting up lighting / playing with HDRIs, start with all objects using the same simple Corona material.
This will help you understand light and shadow interactions better.

2015-03-07, 15:34:42
Reply #20

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This will get you going:-

http://noemotionhdrs.net/

Perhaps when setting up lighting / playing with HDRIs, start with all objects using the same simple Corona material.
This will help you understand light and shadow interactions better.

I couldnt find any indoor hdri on their website. Is there any decent and free hdri that i can get my hands on?

2015-03-07, 17:47:53
Reply #21

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
the ones from Paul Debevec are really good, try those
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-07, 18:23:15
Reply #22

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the ones from Paul Debevec are really good, try those

Are those free or paid and where can I acquire them?

2015-03-07, 18:31:58
Reply #23

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/ - I see that the resolution is low by todays standard, but the dynamic range is excellent. They are still good enough for experimenting
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-07, 18:49:24
Reply #24

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/ - I see that the resolution is low by todays standard, but the dynamic range is excellent. They are still good enough for experimenting

Thanks a bunch! :)