Author Topic: DOF in new version  (Read 8647 times)

2015-02-27, 18:04:05

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys,

I can't use the camera properly as i was doing with the old version.
I understand, that if i want to be able to change the exposure from the buffer, i need to DON T apply the corona camera mod, but if i do that, i can't control the DOF as before.

Another very useful and amazing thing about Corona, was the ability to control the DOF intensity, being able to fake a focal lenght, and then change the F values.
I can't find this option anymore...i feel lost!

Thanks

2015-03-02, 10:33:45
Reply #1

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
uP!

Still not figure out..

2015-03-02, 11:33:38
Reply #3

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How to use exposure controls:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000517792-how-to-change-exposure-during-rendering-
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515620-how-to-use-photographic-exposure-controls-

How to use DOF controls:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516203-how-to-enable-and-control-depth-of-field-dof-in-corona-

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

But where I can find the sensor size option with the new version?

Edit: ok, got it, so basically if i want to be able to control the DOF, I need to activate the DOF in the render settings (before i was doing from the camera modifier) , and if I want at the same time to control the exposure during the render, I will need to activate Photographic exposure.

Basically, I don't need to use a corona camera modifier on the vray cam anymore...is that correct?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2015-03-02, 11:37:01 by lius86 »

2015-03-02, 12:08:43
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I wouldn't recomend to use sensor size for DOF control. Use F-stop spinner instead.

Thanks,

Edit: ok, got it, so basically if i want to be able to control the DOF, I need to activate the DOF in the render settings (before i was doing from the camera modifier) , and if I want at the same time to control the exposure during the render, I will need to activate Photographic exposure.

Basically, I don't need to use a corona camera modifier on the vray cam anymore...is that correct?

Yes, you have to enable DOF in render settings in order to render it and no, you are not forced to use photographic exposure if you don't want to. You can use arbitrary exposure control via EV spinner and have control over DOF at the same time.

And CoronaCamMod isn't necessary for all this as it wasn't required in previous versions too.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-03-02, 23:06:18
Reply #5

Archvis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't get DOF to work very easily either.

Is there a tutorial?

I've checked on all the right boxes, and put my target in the right position, played with f-stop etc.

I did an exaggerated render and set F-stop to 0.01 and that did show results but finding the right number is painfully tricky.

Is there a way to incorporate a real time DOF so what you see is what you get?

2015-03-02, 23:44:24
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. If you're using v1 and follows the description from Rommulus last post, then it should show in the IR. Don't use Max's DOF and f-stop settings in the Camera. Use the settings in the Render Setup, scene tab (or use a Corona CamMod).

Hope it helps

2015-03-09, 20:36:09
Reply #7

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. If you're using v1 and follows the description from Rommulus last post, then it should show in the IR. Don't use Max's DOF and f-stop settings in the Camera. Use the settings in the Render Setup, scene tab (or use a Corona CamMod).

Hope it helps

But how do you change the F number being able to use free exposure?
THe only place where i can see the F number settings, is under photographic exposition, but i don't want to use it!

got it:

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515620

We can change the exposure from the settings even while rendering, just amazing!

THanks

2015-03-09, 22:05:29
Reply #8

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi lius86.

Just to clear things up: It is actually possible to use "free" exposure and f-stop setting. You don't have to activate "photographic exposure" to use the "f-stop" settings - even though it is placed in that box. As long as it isn't greyed out, it's active.

Hope it helps

2015-03-10, 11:08:29
Reply #9

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi lius86.

Just to clear things up: It is actually possible to use "free" exposure and f-stop setting. You don't have to activate "photographic exposure" to use the "f-stop" settings - even though it is placed in that box. As long as it isn't greyed out, it's active.

Hope it helps

oh that's very useful!!!not really user friendly though..

Thanks!

2015-03-10, 12:30:53
Reply #10

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
Although the usage is clear to me personally, one thing that bugs me a lot as a photographer is that the default 'sensor width' is set to 35mm...
35mm film (or full-frame digital) size is actually 36mm x 24mm - that's 36mm wide, not 35.
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2015-03-10, 13:09:27
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I will look into why everybody uses "35 mm", and possibly change the defaults.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-10, 13:24:36
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-03-10, 13:39:40
Reply #13

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will look into why everybody uses "35 mm", and possibly change the defaults.

35mm is the popular name for full frame sensor size, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35mm_format

I would probably keep it for Corona..

I just notice a little "bug" in the DOF system, if you see the reflections on my cabinet, show the chair and table out of focus, but actually, that plane is on focus, so, the reflections shouldn't be out of focus.

what do you guys think?

2015-03-10, 13:41:59
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
it is actually correct - you can see the same behavior in real world
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)