Author Topic: Material Converter Wishlist  (Read 7376 times)

2014-12-03, 12:37:32

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
DeathClown has made a great script with the Mat Converter.

But... all models I download have Vray textures. Which means I have to strip them down and apply Corona Mats.
Is it possible one day the coverter can auto convert model textures in the future? Or is this impossible?

I say this cos people are starting to create scripts for Corona, like the wonderful new script: Region Render: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/regionrender

2014-12-03, 15:02:58
Reply #1

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
DeathClown has made a great script with the Mat Converter.

But... all models I download have Vray textures. Which means I have to strip them down and apply Corona Mats.
Is it possible one day the coverter can auto convert model textures in the future? Or is this impossible?

this is exactely wath the script of Deadclown is doing.

2014-12-03, 15:03:07
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
A lot of Vray-specific maps (like VrayDirt or VrayColor etc) are already converted automatically. Not all of them of course since there's not always a way to convert it to something useful or similar in Corona.
If, however, there is a map that can be converted but is not supported by the Converter I may simply have forgotten to do so and I'm always open for suggestions :)

[edit] In case you're not using the latest version (v0.22) I'd recommend to update. If you're using an old one, don't change the conversion modes (object selection and material slot selection won't convert maps).
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-12-03, 15:36:08
Reply #3

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A lot of Vray-specific maps (like VrayDirt or VrayColor etc) are already converted automatically. Not all of them of course since there's not always a way to convert it to something useful or similar in Corona.
If, however, there is a map that can be converted but is not supported by the Converter I may simply have forgotten to do so and I'm always open for suggestions :)

[edit] In case you're not using the latest version (v0.22) I'd recommend to update. If you're using an old one, don't change the conversion modes (object selection and material slot selection won't convert maps).

Thanks for the reply Deathclown. I am using V.19 so I am glad you reminded me to update.
I have been using the script to convert my Vray material library only. Are you saying that I can convert an imported object (for example a model from CGSky) to Corona Mats so I can avoid the horrible red Vray logo on all my objects?

I converted to Corona from Vray specifically because your Converter made the conversion possible. So a big thankyou for such a great little script :)
I would like the script to be able to convert VRMats in the future (if possible) cos I find these much more useful than the stuff you get from vraymaterials.de

2014-12-03, 16:25:50
Reply #4

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Are you saying that I can convert an imported object (for example a model from CGSky) to Corona Mats so I can avoid the horrible red Vray logo on all my objects?
What red Vray logo?
Basically you can convert everything that you have imported to max, doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as it has materials applied to it which are supported by the converter.

I would like the script to be able to convert VRMats in the future (if possible) cos I find these much more useful than the stuff you get from vraymaterials.de
I had a look at these some time ago but since I did not find any scripting support there is no way I can add it to my converter, sorry.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-12-03, 17:02:40
Reply #5

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you saying that I can convert an imported object (for example a model from CGSky) to Corona Mats so I can avoid the horrible red Vray logo on all my objects?
What red Vray logo?
Basically you can convert everything that you have imported to max, doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as it has materials applied to it which are supported by the converter.

I had a look at these some time ago but since I did not find any scripting support there is no way I can add it to my converter, sorry.

Great. I did'nt know I could convert on the fly. Thanks.
Shame about the VRmats.

This is what I see when I render with Corona using Vray Mats. My whole model looked like this and I had to apply Corona Mats object by object. Took forever.

2014-12-10, 09:40:23
Reply #6

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
And what about Maxwell 2 Corona converter ?

I guess this would be harder since MX is using BRDFs...

2014-12-10, 09:54:09
Reply #7

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Mat Converter will only convert Vray mats if Vray is installed. So i.e. mental ray users won't be able to convert Vray scenes.

2015-01-07, 08:33:35
Reply #8

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
If you dont have Vray installed, do same as I do. Dowload the demo, use all features you are interested in and never render using It :)
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2015-01-07, 10:32:07
Reply #9

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you dont have Vray installed, do same as I do. Dowload the demo, use all features you are interested in and never render using It :)

Yes, that's what I did. Thanks :)