Author Topic: Pricing and release date announced  (Read 191914 times)

2014-10-07, 20:34:26
Reply #15

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Firstly, I think your pricing structure is perfect. It will severely cut into sales of other renderers. You totally deserve to make a ton of money, as this is an excellent product, and you are an awesome group of people making this.

Personally, I was hoping there would be a hobbyist/non commercial version or something I could afford from my own wallet. Most of my Max use is supporting others (specifically on a forum I run and supporting/educating young artists where I work), and my Corona use has been solely personal use. I will be sad when I no longer have access to this amazing renderer!

Anyway, I'm really glad to see you guys are finally going to make some money from all the hard work you have done. I'll continue promoting it, as this is a render engine that really could change the world.

2014-10-07, 20:55:41
Reply #16

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great news, only one question about SaaS, is this a floating license?

2014-10-07, 21:24:41
Reply #17

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
and how much cost box subscription per year?

It said " one time payment " and lifetime license.

No Daily build access  – But you can buy subscription to get both daily builds and updates for additional year.

yeah you talk about upgrades here .

2014-10-07, 21:49:59
Reply #18

deshu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello. Please answer my questions:

1. There seems to be a mismatch between the info-graphics and bulleted-info for edu/student licence.
Info-graphics say that there will be daily build access, the bullet says there wont be. Which is true?
2. Will there be any discount for users who have 3ds max box version of Corona, when, lets say, Blender version comes out?
3. The cost of updates after 90-day period for box version
4. Why no daily build access for Box version? I think this is kinda unfair. Box users give you more money then subscription ones, and they do it instantly, and they don't get the daily builds?

2014-10-07, 22:07:37
Reply #19

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
4. Why no daily build access for Box version? I think this is kinda unfair. Box users give you more money then subscription ones, and they do it instantly, and they don't get the daily builds?

This.

I think most serious users who are willing to pay the full price (myself included) want access to the daily builds and this cost should be absorbed by the up front cost of the box version. This is a real deal breaker for me as I hate monthly subscriptions with a passion.
Vray who?

2014-10-07, 22:12:35
Reply #20

deshu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This.

I think most serious users who are willing to pay the full price (myself included) want access to the daily builds and this cost should be absorbed by the up front cost of the box version. This is a real deal breaker for me as I hate monthly subscriptions with a passion.

Couldn't have said it better.

2014-10-07, 22:13:50
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Personally, I was hoping there would be a hobbyist/non commercial version or something I could afford from my own wallet. Most of my Max use is supporting others (specifically on a forum I run and supporting/educating young artists where I work), and my Corona use has been solely personal use. I will be sad when I no longer have access to this amazing renderer!
Indeed, Corona PLE would be highly appreciated by those who don't make money out of rendering.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-10-07, 22:17:51
Reply #22

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great pricing and licensing system, it is indeed a fair one.

I have to say that I find the prices a tiny bit over what I had in my head, that said, i don't think you are over pricing it at all, they are great prices, just that I though the final prices were to be like the promo prices hehehe.

I think the best mix for us is to have one Box license and use the SaaS license for the farm when is needed, anyways I'll talk with you when I have my farm published (too much work to have it publicly up and running).

I stand with the same question others have, ¿what is going to be the update/subs pricing for the Box license? because being in daily builds and having things up to date it's important to me.
Another question is regarding the licensing system.
I have my main office in home, two workstations, I'm am the one specialized in rendering and shading, so all the major work is done by me, it's great we are going to have a free UI license so things can be reviewed also in the other workstation, but will I be able to use my free node licenses in my farm? it is located in a different physical place and I connect to it via internet, so how is it going to work?
Also the licenses will be node locked or network floating ones? The latest is my preferred system this way if I change from one computer to another (from the workstation to my laptop) I can work with it without a problem, that is what I do with my Krakatoa license.
Those are my questions, and for sure count with my money at least one license and for my next project some SaaS licenses, but it's possible that I acquire 2 Box licenses, I have to decide it yet.

Congrats for that, you are great people I have to say, and I hope you stay that way for a lot of years, you do a great job and you deserver to be astonishingly succesful with your business model!

Cheers!

2014-10-07, 22:20:15
Reply #23

mrsacan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. Updates for box version should be free until 2.0 in my opinion, not time-based. That's not even logical.
Paid MONTHLY >> time-based
Paid ONCE >> time-independent

2. Let's say I already have 1.0 box version. I want to buy 2.0, how much gonna cost? Do you guys have a upgrade plan?

2014-10-07, 22:34:28
Reply #24

AdamHotovy

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Corona Heisenberg
    • View Profile
    • Corona Renderer
Hello Guys, thanks a lot for all the questions and opinions. We do have answers to your questions and I will publish them tomorrow after I will get some sleep.
Until then keep posting questions and opinions. Thanks a lot everyone. Highly appreciated.
I like turtles.

2014-10-07, 22:37:48
Reply #25

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. As a subscription costumer I'm allowed to install Max on 2 computers, as long as I only use one at a time. This way I have installed Max both at work and at home (stand alone - not network license). Very practical!

If I buy 1 Corona license, can I then install and use Corona on both machines (one at a time), or do I need to buy 2 licenses? Do you have another solution for this scenario?

PS - Network license is not an option, since I don't have access to my work server from home.

Looking forward to buy :)

2014-10-07, 22:43:39
Reply #26

bingbong

• Users
    • View Profile
Can you please give more info on how the Farm License works? I don't understand what sharing revenue model means.
Also, can there be a way to have more render nodes per license? 3 seems a bit weak to me, 10+ seems more like it.

2014-10-07, 22:45:24
Reply #27

Tweekazoid

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal CG and scripting stuff also few pictures
reasonable price. And I will be switching immediately after implementation of volumetrics and texture baking.

2014-10-07, 22:49:15
Reply #28

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
As Adam said, there are too many questions, so we will do a subsequent FAQ article tomorrow.

1. Updates for box version should be free until 2.0 in my opinion, not time-based. That's not even logical.
Paid MONTHLY >> time-based
Paid ONCE >> time-independent

Development does not work in a way that one week we decide to completely overhaul the software and create version 2.0. New features take much longer, and are added continuously.

What you are suggesting is the traditional model where we would be forced to develop features and keep them hidden from users, until enough of them are accumulated to release at once as "2.0", so users are compelled to pay. This is BULLSHIT and exactly what we are trying to avoid. We instead offer the possibility to either get all updates for small, steady payment (SAAS, subscription), or to not pay anything, and just buy 2.0 upgrade when it is released.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-07, 23:26:23
Reply #29

mrsacan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is BULLSHIT

Easy. Now that's rude. You said "discuss" and that's what I'm doing.