Author Topic: Roughness from Substance 3D Painter [solved]  (Read 502 times)

2024-02-23, 09:52:57

TomPhillips

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I've recently started using Corona, having come from VRay.
When I attach my Roughness map exported from Painter (PBR Metallic Roughness) with a Corona Bitmap node to the roughness slot of my CoronaPhysicalMtl, my object renders far glossier than it looks in Painter, or than I'm expecting. I can get round this by using an OSL Bitmap Lookup node, or by pushing it through a Color Correction node, but I feel that that shouldn't be necessary.

What gives?

Additional info:
I set the Corona Bitmap node to Raw (this doesn't make any difference in the render and appears not to in the Slate preview image).
I know the difference between Roughness and Glossiness, and which of the two I'm using.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-23, 10:32:30 by TomPhillips »

2024-02-23, 10:18:16
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Haven't looked into it per say yet but from my understand you'd want the RGB primaries (inside the Corona Bitmap) be set to either Linear sRGB or raw and then when you import the map, in the import dialog box, you can choose to override gamma to 1.0.
This way you get a linear import in which is what I think you'd want to use here.

The color space of Linear sRGB or raw doesn't really make a difference as the map probably wasn't created with the ACEScg primaries anyway so either will do.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2024-02-23, 10:19:15
Reply #2

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As Nejc said, this window:

2024-02-23, 10:31:36
Reply #3

TomPhillips

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, that's the one.
I'm used to being able to set the colour space afterwards with the VRay Bitmap node, so I didn't even think about changing it at the import stage.