Author Topic: Archicad to 3DS max units problem  (Read 1426 times)

2021-06-02, 19:31:27

antoine.mrv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello !

I am French, sorry in advance for my mistakes...

I am having a material scale problem.
I am in meters in Archicad, I export in FBX, and I am in centimeters in 3DS max. I have tried several different combinations but still cannot get a realistic material scale with Corona. Materials appear uniform in color. On the other hand, when I import furniture they are at the right scale on my 3DS file.
Do you have any ideas to solve this problem? I think it's a question of unit setting between the archicad file then the 3DS file but I really can't.

2021-06-02, 20:43:22
Reply #1

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
I use 3ds format to use Archicad's models in 3DS Max. For me this set of options for export from Archicad to 3DS is most convenient (see attached picture).
After that I use archicad_wiz script to import 3ds-model  to Max. This script welds vertexes and makes model better to use in Max

2021-06-02, 21:58:06
Reply #2

antoine.mrv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your reply ! Is it possible as with the FBX method to update the archicad reference file? and in which units do you work in archicad and in 3DS?
« Last Edit: 2021-06-02, 22:03:06 by antoine.mrv »

2021-06-02, 22:42:49
Reply #3

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately this way you get "dead" model which can't be updated as reference.
Archicad units set to millimeters, Max units set to centimeters.
Forget to mention that with these options model comes to Max with default UVW scale 100x100cm for each surface

2021-06-02, 22:58:43
Reply #4

antoine.mrv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok thank you for the information! Unfortunately this would not be practical for me because I often switch between archicad and 3DS, I need to update my files often ...

2021-06-02, 23:15:23
Reply #5

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi antoine.
I don't use Archicad, but from your description I don't think that this is a Corona specific problem. I think the problem is Archicads fbx-exporter. But I might be wrong.

If the problem is wrong UVW scale then you can put a UVW x-form modifier on top of all your objects and correct the scale there.

Hope it helps

2021-06-02, 23:46:05
Reply #6

antoine.mrv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried to change UVW unfortunately could not find the right measurements so that the textures appear normally ...
What's crazy is that I have just redone all the export manipulation from Archicad but with a smaller file (a slab) and then I have no problem, the texture immediately applies to the real scale in 3DS. It's very frustrating .. it looks like it actually comes from the export in FBX except that I don't see how to do otherwise.

2021-06-03, 02:32:37
Reply #7

antoine.mrv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have found a "solution" so I'll put it there if it ever helps anyone... It is indeed the transfer in FBX which does not work. I wanted to keep the power to update my file, so I downloaded the "mirza" plugin on 3DS to import Warefront from archicad and miracle with this format it works. I still have to go through a UVW change but at least I have control over my textures !