Author Topic: Refraction issues  (Read 4806 times)

2020-04-15, 22:47:57
Reply #15

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Is this what you want to achieve?
As i suggest i made closed shape from small plane and have to turn off cast shadows from small plane

2020-04-16, 07:59:08
Reply #16

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for looking into this I kind of understand what you did but when rendering I need only the small plane, the thing is I cannot make the small plane to a box. Here, I am attaching another image to try and explain my issue. This is what I need.

To try and explain the situation I made a hole in the bigger water plane and simply attached my wave mesh. See how the refraction behavior changes. This does not seem normal to me. I left a big gap between them just to showcase the peculiarity.

2020-04-16, 12:14:50
Reply #17

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Flavius - just an idea (haven't tested it). What happens, if you attach 4 tiny meshes, placed at the outer corners of the big mesh, to the small mesh? This way the small piece gets the same bounding box as the big piece.

As I said, I haven't tested it.

Hope it helps

2020-04-16, 13:00:49
Reply #18

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Flavius - just an idea (haven't tested it). What happens, if you attach 4 tiny meshes, placed at the outer corners of the big mesh, to the small mesh? This way the small piece gets the same bounding box as the big piece.

As I said, I haven't tested it.

Hope it helps

I was thinking of a similar thing last night, I will test it out and see how it behaves. ty

2020-04-16, 13:40:00
Reply #19

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Try rendering this with the following option and see if it changes anything:
1) Enable devel/debug settings - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000021288
2) Go to Performance > Development/Experimental stuff
3) Enable "Use legacy medium resolving" at the top, right under "Basic configuration"
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-16, 14:38:42
Reply #20

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@PROH the trick didn't work, I left some polygons on the edge of the big plane, attached my waves mesh, it does change the appereance a bit, but only a tiny bit (which is absurd anyway as the polygons are really far away and there's nothing else between them and the mesh)

@maru- using legacy makes no difference sadly :(

Oh well...

2020-04-16, 15:06:10
Reply #21

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
!!! I have literally went into rage mode and I've started to change all the parameters from the developer rollout in Corona. Embree on/off, Pathtracer, VCM, Light Tracer, PPM, VPL, terminat shandling, adaptivity on off literally everything.

AND THEN... (David Gilmour song reference)

I noticed the setting "ENVIRO DISTANCE" !!!! I have lowered that to 500m AND I get the identical results regardless if there's a smaller plane or a big plane. Still the values seem messed up to me and this only works with the Distance parameter in volumetric scattering is higher than the enviro distance. I had to lower my ground plane at -300 meters otherwise my water would've been too transparent, and the planes would have very different refraction results (So the problem I had before but more accentuated). I have just discovered this so I am still looking into the numbers.

EDIT: overjoy too soon, at different angles there are differences again but smaller...I hope I can adjust them in post though.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-16, 15:13:00 by Flavius »

2020-04-16, 15:46:53
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Maybe try to add walls around your ocean so that refracted rays would always hit  some geometry and you don't have to fiddle with enviro distance.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures