Author Topic: Tips on mapping a floor gen floor?  (Read 2631 times)

2020-03-18, 18:00:30

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There must be some trick to this because ive been trying to figure it out for a while and never seem to be able to get the texture size correct.
How do you randomise a map across a floorgen floor? Do you HAVE to use multitexture or can it be achieved with the corona multimap/uvw randomiser?

2020-03-18, 20:03:13
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Official Corona channel on YT has excellent tutorial about that, check it out.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-03-18, 23:51:28
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I still cant get the scale of the planks right even after following the tutorial. I want it to take any random section from anywhere across the map but ensure its different on each mesh element or material ID. Any thoughts on how to achieve this seemingly simple task?

I thought it would just be the case that the node understands real world scale and applies it at the defined scale across the elements without having to mess around with UV space. it just seems like guesswork trying to get the bitmap UV as well as the UV in the randomiser correct.

Maybe I should do some googling about uvs.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-19, 02:47:55 by Jpjapers »

2020-03-19, 00:56:34
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Real World scale materials will only work if every plank UVW is made in real world scale. And I don't think that's the case. But you can find out easily by aplying a simple mat with a Checker map to see how it works with different settings.

If the planks UVW aren't real world scale, then you need to do the math properly to get it tiling right.

Regards

2020-03-19, 02:45:07
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Real World scale materials will only work if every plank UVW is made in real world scale. And I don't think that's the case. But you can find out easily by aplying a simple mat with a Checker map to see how it works with different settings.

If the planks UVW aren't real world scale, then you need to do the math properly to get it tiling right.

Regards

Oh so you think this is a floor gen effect not a Corona uwv randomiser one? Interesting I hadn't considered that.
I'll definitely give that a look thanks.

2020-03-19, 03:23:25
Reply #5

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
What's wrong with multitexture ?

2020-03-19, 10:28:09
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What's wrong with multitexture ?

Theres nothing wrong with it I was just hoping there was a corona only method.

2020-03-19, 11:06:10
Reply #7

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
I think I've had similar experiences (although not 100% sure) - making a concrete tiled floor, using a single concrete map (see attached).

I couldn't get anything to work with Real-world texture sizes - so ended up using with the tiling of the initial bitmap (I think ending on something like 0.15 as the map was huge). Then used the UVW randomiser to add random offsets and rotation. Finally plugged that into the Corona MultiMap to randomise it across the tiles/planks.

I'm sure someone very technical will point out some issues with this method, but it did the job.