Author Topic: How can I improve my renders?  (Read 3147 times)

2018-01-25, 16:31:37

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Im thinking about doing some freelance visualisation outside of my day job doing Large scale archviz.
Ive done my first project for a client and whilst theyre happy with the result as it was just for a concept mockup, I want to improve my realism.
So have at it! What would you do to make these better?
Dont hold back :D

MODS: I wasnt sure whether to post this in gallery/general cg/here so please move as necessary!
« Last Edit: 2018-01-25, 16:40:43 by jpjapers »

2018-01-25, 19:00:46
Reply #1

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think you choose too much non contrast hdri or use too much filmic highlight.
For realistic move i can suggest add some small details from bakery.
Something like this http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7713/Ej9F7k.jpg

2018-01-25, 19:07:29
Reply #2

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Materials are too clean ( mistake I also make, I am just a bit lazy to add a bit of dirt and scratches to everything )
But it really adds so much more realism, other than that it looks quite good actually

Hope this helps

2018-01-25, 22:33:00
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. Lighting, 2. Materials. In that order.

Great materials will still look "CGI'd" if you've got a terribly flat and artificial lighting setup.
Similarly, but to a less extent plain/basic materials can look great in a fantastic lighting setup.
Vray who?

2018-01-25, 22:49:23
Reply #4

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Great materials will still look "CGI'd" if you've got a terribly flat and artificial lighting setup.
Similarly, but to a less extent plain/basic materials can look great in a fantastic lighting setup.

What would you improve in the lighting?

2018-01-25, 23:11:33
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Models are also important. Now it's only bunch of textured boxes. No beveled edges, no gaps betwen  different parts, no small details. All of that definitely would add to realism. Maybe not as much as lighting and materials, but still it shouldn't be ignored.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-25, 23:34:24
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Models are also important. Now it's only bunch of textured boxes. No beveled edges, no gaps betwen  different parts, no small details. All of that definitely would add to realism. Maybe not as much as lighting and materials, but still it shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks for the input. Technically with High pressure laminate being so thin it doesnt have a visible bevelled edge so all the wood effect on there is HPL. everything else has a round edge shader on. Where would you suggest adding gaps?

2018-01-25, 23:35:13
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Good point i am using a basic HDRI warehouse setup. Perhaps ill build an actual room for kit renders.

2018-01-26, 01:00:45
Reply #8

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile

- The lighting is uniformly flat. Often, I have found what is happening off frame is just as important as what's going on in frame.
- There is nothing in any of the reflections to hint at the surroundings to drive interest. (see above)
- The models that you made for the stands are incredibly blocky. Think about use cases of how they would be used if they were used for real (your cup dispenser would be unusable & it would be incredibly awkward grabbing pastries, etc)
- There is no human element to the placement of any of the treats,  ie) they are so uniform spaced and placed that it looks artificial.
- The texturing is kinda lazy, the UVs for your the wood shelves have little consistency or logic behind them. Everything is too clean, there should be wear& dirt from use (again human element).
- your tonemapping looks kinda weird, not sure what's going on there.

Hope this helps!

2018-01-26, 14:53:28
Reply #9

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

- The lighting is uniformly flat. Often, I have found what is happening off frame is just as important as what's going on in frame.
- There is nothing in any of the reflections to hint at the surroundings to drive interest. (see above)
- The models that you made for the stands are incredibly blocky. Think about use cases of how they would be used if they were used for real (your cup dispenser would be unusable & it would be incredibly awkward grabbing pastries, etc)
- There is no human element to the placement of any of the treats,  ie) they are so uniform spaced and placed that it looks artificial.
- The texturing is kinda lazy, the UVs for your the wood shelves have little consistency or logic behind them. Everything is too clean, there should be wear& dirt from use (again human element).
- your tonemapping looks kinda weird, not sure what's going on there.

Hope this helps!

The tone mapping is the kim Amland #1 from the luts. As for the cup dispenser this whole unit is actually built to manufacture spec for the biggest shopfitters and catering supply manufacturer in the uk. Apart from the missing shelf brackets.  Ill work on the uvs on the shelves.

I didn't think about the reflections. That's a really good point. The wear and dirt or lack thereof was intentional as this was meant as a visual to sell the concept to my clients client. I would have loved to dirty it up a little haha.

2018-01-26, 18:43:32
Reply #10

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I didn't think about the reflections. That's a really good point. The wear and dirt or lack thereof was intentional as this was meant as a visual to sell the concept to my clients client. I would have loved to dirty it up a little haha.

Won't you get reflections if you're using an indoor HDRI, or do actually add geometry?