Author Topic: Volumetric / Projection / Disco / Laser Lights  (Read 20595 times)

2017-05-11, 11:55:40
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I can see three ways:

1. swap CoronaLight with standart spotlight and your projector map as gobo. (pros - easy to set up, very precise projection, cons - non physical light, volumetric cone might take longer to get noise free )
2. swap geometric cone with extruded gobo shape (pros - volumetrics gets rendered faster and looks very good, cons - harder to set up, shadow is inverted, and it looks like there's no way around this :[)
3. place gobo shape inside the cone, behind the light (pros - ?, cons - gobo shape becomes very blurry with distance, light and gobo rig must be encased or placed away from view)

Sorry, no examples this time.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-05-11, 12:00:03
Reply #16

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or to be more specific, which way would be faster to render with Corona, using VDb clouds ?

Or the same clouds constructed with lots of moving planes, each small "puf" being a texture on a plane. With alpha channel and soft margins. Sometimes using more "solid" clouds, and sometimes barely visible clouds, like wisps in a forests, or smoke over the trees.

And the same with sun beams. Which is faster to render ? Using multiple planes with painted textures ? Like this :

With the benefit of using stylized shapes of light beams. Like thin rays, noisy rays, and so on.
Or using some kind of true volumetrics, but maybe less "textured".
« Last Edit: 2017-05-11, 12:04:07 by sebastian___ »

2017-05-11, 12:02:04
Reply #17

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Have done a few "Stage renders", and just wanted to add, that when using standard lights (with Corona shadows) you can also use Max's volume light - which is compatible with Corona, and renders pretty fast.

2017-05-11, 14:07:43
Reply #18

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's an example of standard lights using Max's volume light rendered with Corona 1.6. Also attached the scene.

2017-05-11, 14:39:22
Reply #19

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's an example of standard lights using Max's volume light rendered with Corona 1.6. Also attached the scene.

I'm guessing it would work equally well for direct lights ? Emitting parallel rays for sun beams ?

2017-05-11, 14:47:08
Reply #20

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know - haven't tried it.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that volume light doesn't work well with IR, so to see the correct result when changing parameters, you must restart IR or normal render.

Hope it helps

2017-05-11, 16:58:49
Reply #21

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A few more references from real footage

Under water :

The next ones are taken by me with an iphone

« Last Edit: 2017-05-11, 17:29:19 by sebastian___ »

2017-05-12, 02:08:41
Reply #22

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile

Good info, some reference back is OK! if it renders .Thank you!
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB