Author Topic: very long scene parsing times using multiscatter and laubwerk trees  (Read 7538 times)

2016-06-24, 10:21:36

karamox

i noticed very long scene parsing before it starts rendering. laubwerk trees are heavy, and use many memmopry to start rendering in vray. in corona i dont know how it manages memmory, but it does not increase memory usage when scene parses. it is 4 -6 times longer than it take to vray to start rendering. it is very sad. i did not noticed long scene parsing with using proxy trees.

using laubwerk trees and scattering them as forest using multiscatter.

corona 1.4  3ds max 2016

2016-06-24, 13:46:59
Reply #1

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
(*) What's the difference (in seconds) with "Multithread parsing" option OFF (Development rollout).
(*) What about the CPU usage during the parsing stage?

2016-06-24, 19:27:22
Reply #2

karamox

cpu usage is very low during parsing.
with multithreaded option on - no difference, same long parsing.
after all testing i found it is a problem only of laubwerk trees. they do not render fast in corona, i dont know why but they are parsing very slow.
tested with other hq tree models converted to proxy. it parses in 10-12 sec. 100000 instances using multiscatter. and cpu is loaded fully with generic models.
that is why laubwerk so slow , it dows not use cpu fully when parsing.

2016-06-24, 19:34:39
Reply #3

karamox

one problem solved. another occured. do you know why corona 1.4 does not use all cpu power to render? it around 70-80 on all cores.

2016-06-26, 01:40:42
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Just had a scene with Laubwerk trees where parsing took a loooooooooonnnnnnnnng time. I tried different things to find out why, and found that if I changed the viewport mode of the Laubwerk trees from "Skeleton" to "Render Geometry" then scene parsing took seconds instead of minutes. I would say approximate 10 x faster.

Can't see any logic, but maybe this will work in your too.

2016-06-26, 09:58:45
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I would be interested in a scene where this happens...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-26, 11:26:21
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. I'll try if I can reproduce it today. It's an old scene where I tested civil view stuff and Max atmospheric. Yesterday I downloaded the new Laubwerk version (1.00.20) and tried it in this scene. I also twice got Max freezing with CPU at 0% because I had a Laubwerk tree selected when I pressed Render. Had to restart Max.

info: 3dsMaxDesign 2014, Corona 1.5 latest daily, Laubwerk plugin v 1.00.20, Windows 10

Where can I upload the file if it's reproduceable?

2016-06-26, 17:37:38
Reply #7

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK. So I tested the file today with exactly same result. Since there were a number of other possible influences in the original file I saved the trees out for themselves and cleaned the file. The issue is still there. Even tho it's a very small scene with only a few trees (9 variants instanced to a total of 21) the differences in parsing time is really high:

- When display mode is set to "Convex Hull" parsing time is 44 sec.
- When display mode is set to "Skeleton" parsing time is 45 sec.
- When display mode is set to "Render Geometry" parsing time is 3 sec.

I made the test several times with identical results - only varying 1-2 sec.

I used windows 10, 3dsMaxDesign 2014, Corona 1.5 daily 20 jun 2016, and Laubwerk plugin v1.00.20 (still reads 1.00.19 in "about...").

I attached the file + a picture showing the stats of the different results.

2016-06-26, 19:38:51
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
it seems like problem with laubwerk trees. I can reproduce the same thing with scanline renderer. I have notified Laubwerk about the issue
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-26, 20:23:54
Reply #9

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, didn't try that. Let's hope Laubwerk gets this solved soon. Until then the advise must be only to use "Rendered Geometry".

BTW - Is the "Max freezing/dying when pressing Render while Laubwerk tree is selected"-bug also a Laubwerk problem?

2016-06-26, 21:31:50
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I consulted that with them, but we have not solved it yet

2016-09-14, 11:26:51
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The problem of Laubwerk plugin freezing 3ds Max has been recently solved by Laubwerk developers. Please see the following report for more details:
https://corona-renderer.com/bugs/view.php?id=1144

You can download and test the newest beta version of the Laubwerk plugin using the link below, however keep in mind that any problems or bug reports should be sent to Laubwerk, not to us:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/inllgpm86kriu0u/LaubwerkPlantsKitFreebie_1.0.22b5_Win_Setup.exe?dl=0
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us