Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524930 times)

2012-09-19, 20:14:25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Since there is so much to implement, I would like to know, what do you want the most.

Everyone has multiple votes, so you cannot simply check everything ;). Choose wisely. I'll use the results as a guideline to what is needed the most.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-26, 01:10:42 by Keymaster »
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-09-19, 22:25:44
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Distributed rendering added
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-09-19, 22:29:52
Reply #2

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Shit - I just voted! dr as a 4th ;-)

2012-09-19, 22:34:47
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can remove your vote with the button below the poll and then vote again

2012-09-20, 09:35:54
Reply #4

Ocram

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think if you want to make a "professional" product you must do a Distributed Rendering...

2012-09-20, 09:59:02
Reply #5

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Ocram: I'm pretty sure everything in this poll will be implemented sooner or later, but the question is: what do the users need first(!) ? I'd love to have DR too but I would prefer some basic things at this early stage of development ;)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2012-09-20, 10:38:27
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Little note: One of effects of Bidirectional PT is lot faster caustics without fireflies or sample clamping (intensity bias) ;)

2012-09-20, 10:40:16
Reply #7

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Little note: One of effects of Bidirectional PT is lot faster caustics without fireflies or sample clamping (intensity bias) ;)

Caustics are a super useless feature. :) I have never seen them being used in actual production.

They look super sexy on test and promo renders, though. But in real production... they're worthless.

2012-09-20, 10:49:46
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yeah, right, so if you do a packshot of perfume or glass sculpture, then opaque shadow does the trick, eh? So a bit of a correction: For YOU, yourself, personally only you, are caustics useless feature.

Bidir is just a super-necessary feature, because so far, our solution to fireflies is a form of bias (sample intensity clamping) which not a very good solution, and bias it introduces can be in some cases very obvious. Try to render some of your scenes with Max sample intensity value set at 0, and see what happens :-P ;)

2012-09-20, 11:40:54
Reply #9

Ocram

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ocram: I'm pretty sure everything in this poll will be implemented sooner or later, but the question is: what do the users need first(!) ? I'd love to have DR too but I would prefer some basic things at this early stage of development ;)

Ah ok! :)

2012-09-20, 13:03:16
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly ;))

rawalanche & loocas: I'm agreeing with Loocas on this one - Corona is already fast, so I thought it would be better to add something entirely new instead of speeding it up more. But evidently people want it ;)

2012-09-20, 15:06:43
Reply #11

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Voted! Great poll :)
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2012-09-20, 17:06:02
Reply #12

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting how people use things differently - interactive renders for example, I've tried using fr/iray in activeshade mode, all ok for shader tweaks but to me nothing that a region render can't do. I'd like it, but not as important as the rest. Has anyone had much luck with other render engines and interactivity?

2012-09-20, 17:16:53
Reply #13

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
this whole interactive rendering stuff is for tweaking shaders on a sphere and placing lights for reflections on a car... I didn't use it for anything useful. May it be VrayRT or Iray. For me, it's more a toy than a tool. As soon as I have a production scene with tons of textures and millions of polygons this whole IR stuff is unusable anyways... As Paul says: region rendering is good enough.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2012-09-20, 18:09:24
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
To clarify, Corona RT would be the exactly same renderer, just launched interactively with optimized parsing when only a part of the scene is changed.

I have no intention of doing second half-assed interactive renderer with half the features. Not now, not ever ;)