Author Topic: Struggling to find a good setup for "Global Volume"  (Read 1124 times)

2023-08-29, 12:40:28

TeoRossi93

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I've been struggling for a while to find good parameters to setup global volume effect using volume material inside "Scene environment".
I can't achieve that nice "hazy" effect around light sources, and I struggle aswell to get nice volumes from light emitters (I usually use small circular emitters with a directionality that ranges from 35% to 50%, high intensity that is often >1500).
Any suggestion on parameters/colors to use in the shader?

I'm attaching here a test I did and values used, as you can see the light bar (corona light material applied) has no hazy stuff around it.
Matteo Rossi 3D - https://www.teorossi.it/

2023-08-29, 14:02:05
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hmm, I mean only thing that seems a bit off to me is that you have absorption set to full on black. I'm not sure if I understand what kind of hazy effect you're after but setting it to grey might help?

Would be glad to help, do you happen to have any examples of the hazy effect you're after?
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-08-29, 14:10:18
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You probably need to use forward/backwards scattering parameters in the volume material.

Forward scattering (positive values) can be used to simulate transparent/refractive particles or droplets like in a fog. Play with higher values starting from 0.7 or higher. Really high values around 0.97-0.99 will produce a halo effect around light sources, note that this will render slower. You still might have to use higher values for light directionality, depending on the look you're after.

Backwards scattering (negative values) simulates more opaque particles such a heavier (or heavy) smoke, probably not what you're after.

2023-08-29, 15:38:17
Reply #3

TeoRossi93

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm, I mean only thing that seems a bit off to me is that you have absorption set to full on black. I'm not sure if I understand what kind of hazy effect you're after but setting it to grey might help?

Would be glad to help, do you happen to have any examples of the hazy effect you're after?

Hey Nejc, I'm attaching here an example.
As suggested by Pokoy I'm trying to tweak the directionality and it kinda helps to improve the effect
Matteo Rossi 3D - https://www.teorossi.it/

2023-08-30, 09:45:12
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Maybe this might help too if you want to localize the fog? Use the distance shader in the volume material's absorption texture slot. In the 'distance from' area you can add the object you want to fog to surround. Make another box to surround your object and assign the volume material to it. I'll add an example scene :)

It's a good way to make clouds too :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-08-30, 16:16:42
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Hey Nejc, I'm attaching here an example.
As suggested by Pokoy I'm trying to tweak the directionality and it kinda helps to improve the effect

The attached image looks more like bloom and glare + some additional post processing than actual volumes. But yes, playing with directionality is a good idea.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-09-06, 14:43:16
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Yeah I think I agree with Maru and Pokoy here too. Scattering Directionality might help, so does "intense" enough volume and so do some nice post effects (bloom & glare + maybe a little diffusion like effect that you get in Magic Bullet or other similar products). So I'd say its a combination of all of the above and that makes my reply pretty much useless I'd imagine.

That said I did play around with setting it up without any post effects except for bloom and glare in Corona and I think that alone should get you places.

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us