Author Topic: 7950x system RAM - MOBO recommendation  (Read 1300 times)

2023-01-07, 15:24:00

JohnNinos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, happy new year and best wishes to all.

I'm trying to configure a couple workstations for the office, I have made up my mind to 7950x system but I don't know which RAM and mobo to choose.

I'll go for:

AMD 7950x
Noctua NH-D15NH-D15 chromax.black
Corsair HX Series HX1200 1200W
Corsair Obsidian 750D
GTX 1070 (i know that is somehow old but as we have a couple of them laying around I'll use these for now)

My concerns do i need a dual channel configuration for the RAM I have read for the 7950x so I need 2*64GB but it seems that i can't find any reseller for 1 module of 64gb DDR5,
in addition, what is the best mobo to set up this configuration?

Thanks in advance :)

2023-01-09, 01:24:59
Reply #1

Blanco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I could be wrong, but I think the 7950x comes with onboard graphics. You could then ditch the GPU and reduce the size of your PSU to something more modest like a 650/750.

Also, and again I could be wrong, but if you have a mobo with 4 ram slots, it will treat the 4 ram modules as  2 pairs.

Are we not into quad channel ram now anyway? I have no idea what ddr5 is…

2023-01-09, 01:42:51
Reply #2

Blanco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you can hang on a bit, the 79503D will launch soon.  Not sure if it will be an improvement for corona so might want to wait for reviews.

2023-01-10, 09:17:04
Reply #3

JohnNinos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, sure I can save some consumption from the GPU but my main concern is RAM and mobo, didn't know about that (if you have a mobo with 4 ram slots, it will treat the 4 ram modules as  2 pairs) as I have no idea considering ddr5 myself :)

2023-01-11, 11:00:08
Reply #4

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
If you can hang on a bit, the 79503D will launch soon.  Not sure if it will be an improvement for corona so might want to wait for reviews.

I agree :) Extra cache can be really useful but it does depend on the workload so it might be prudent to wait for a bit more and then decide which "version" is better for your needs.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-01-11, 12:16:52
Reply #5

JohnNinos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nejc, thanks but yes it's too far for me to wait that long currently!

Do you have any recommendation on mobo or ram (how many dimms should i look for)? Thanks ! :)

2023-01-12, 15:30:18
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hi Nejc, thanks but yes it's too far for me to wait that long currently!

Do you have any recommendation on mobo or ram (how many dimms should i look for)? Thanks ! :)

I hear ya on the waiting part! :)

Sorry but I'm afraid I'm not quite that knowledgeable yet about the AM5 platform, anything I'd say about AM5 and memory would be pure speculation from me.

For motherboards, I typically go with the brand I trust the most and their most fitting product to my needs. I don't like overspending on stuff but I do like to be future proof at least somewhat so a couple of NVME slots, at least 2 PCI-E x16 slots, minimum of a 2.5GbE port... and that is mostly what I'd want myself.

I wouldn't worry about the overclocking feature set, I reckon you won't be doing that. Arguably the 7xxx series will do that for you anyway unless you're running in ECO mode.

Performance wise, please double check this but IIRC there isn't a difference between the B650 vs 670 or 670E chipsets. From my understanding the main difference is basically in the IO and extra other features.

Puget systems has a nice comparison on the topic of features between the chipsets:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-X670E-vs-X670-vs-B650E-vs-B650-2361/

I guess if it were me I would probably start with picking the right chipset for my needs (including future proofing a bit). Then find a reputable brand and never opt for the absolute cheapest board (those might skimp on VRMs and things that might actually hold back the 7950x a bit - although I haven't double checked this for this gen but that is from my understanding where cost cutting can hit ya with these high end CPU, cheaper mobo combos) that has the extra features you find useful. Would watch / read a review as well.

Also, take the time to double check everything that was said above. Again, I'm not that in the know how about AM5 yet. I hope you got some good "aha, I shall google this" moment out of it though :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us