Author Topic: Quixel Megascans  (Read 23979 times)

2016-08-25, 21:11:05
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't think you're supposed to use the Specular maps at all with the CoronaMtl as it exists presently. It's a value for head on reflectivity for PBR set ups that don't specify an IOR value. I think.

Aside from the material settings, is the example of the cut grass from their site supposed to be achievable with displacement?
It seems as though there are gaps underneath the blades of grass. With displacement on a plane I'd expect it to look more like the tests that have been posted. Don't know if I'm missing something.

I've seen few comments like this, your eyes are just deceiving you ;- ) Those preview renders are basic teselation in 3DO, there is no vector displacement going on. The fact the basic real-time tesellation looks better than resources-hungry Corona displacement is second thing :- ) But I've heard this got better in 1.5.

For full quality disp, use the .exr file, loaded with gamma 1.0 of course. Not rocket science is going on.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-25, 21:28:04
Reply #16

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I made a Specular to IOR LUT during Closed Beta.
The LUT will only work from IOR 1.0 to IOR 2.0.
Apply the LUT in 16bit to a Specular map.
Load the IOR map with a gamma of 1.0 in Max.
I made the LUT for materials that fake depth, like grass materials. But you can use it on everything.
I noticed that most of the Specular maps had a 32 bit base value of 0.035 = 3.5 Reflectivity = 1.46 IOR. So that's where I got the whole LUT idea.

You can get the LUT here, my google drive also include a bunch of exporters that will ship with the next Bridge update.
The Corona exporter that shipped with Bridge 1.0 is my first revision of the exporter, I recommend that you download the latest version.

How to Install
Copy the .ms files into "Megascans Bridge\Bridge_Data\Support\Scripts\Max"

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B10mLXqqmNkidk0yOFdGWXBPSmc&usp=sharing

Test picture from Beta.

For displacement, I recommend that you start with these settings.

___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-08-26, 06:56:11
Reply #17

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you guys got Quixel accounts already? I have downloaded some scans in the free section but no idea how to access the studio for free. The only way it would seem to create a quixel account is to subscribe is that right?

Took me a while to find it too, click the ''character'' icon on the top right corner of the site and go in ''my profile'', you'll see the download links there. I'm pretty sure you need a megascans account tho.

2016-08-26, 07:02:18
Reply #18

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you guys got Quixel accounts already? I have downloaded some scans in the free section but no idea how to access the studio for free. The only way it would seem to create a quixel account is to subscribe is that right?

Took me a while to find it too, the download links are hidden in the ''my profile'' section. So I suppose you need an account. When you start the Studio or Bridge you also have to login anyway, with a  megascans account and not a Quixel account. They're separate.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-26, 08:25:08 by philippelamoureux »

2016-08-26, 11:27:23
Reply #19

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ricky how else would you achieve that other than with maps that are available for download ?

I thought they might offer some scattered objects to use as part of that asset or be using vector displacement but, as Juraj has confirmed, the quality of the result was fooling me!

2016-08-26, 12:51:50
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ricky how else would you achieve that other than with maps that are available for download ?

I thought they might offer some scattered objects to use as part of that asset or be using vector displacement but, as Juraj has confirmed, the quality of the result was fooling me!

They plan to offer some models with the Atlases eventually. Currently it's up to user how to use them.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-26, 16:50:35
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just a note: I asked Quixel guys about the license for the free objects/textures, because I didn't find any info on this, and here is their answer:

Hello Marcin,

Thank you for getting in touch.

There's no license for free samples :) Yes, you are free to use them in any way you want.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-08-30, 08:23:47
Reply #22

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Guys don´t you know why this is happening? My Bridge is stuck forever when importing downloaded zip files :(

2016-08-30, 08:55:13
Reply #23

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Also I am getting another error when starting max - unable to convert: undefined to type: FileName

would be grateful for any advice

2016-09-01, 09:58:06
Reply #24

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Have you seen this?

I remember some opinions that their subscription is pricey. But imagine how much work was put into this. It's just amazing...
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-09-06, 05:35:00
Reply #25

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah it's nice, a baby could do a good looking material now hehe!

2016-09-06, 13:57:59
Reply #26

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah it's nice, a baby could do a good looking material now hehe!

As long as the baby has a credit card :)

2016-09-07, 22:40:36
Reply #27

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you trying to get real blades of grass from a texture? you know that megascans combines the ground textures with actual 3d assets for foliage? Its not just displacement...Sorry if thats obvious but from the amount youre cranking up the displacement its as if thats what you're going for.