Author Topic: Temperature readings discrepancy - Core Temp (Ryzen Threadripper 1920x)  (Read 2775 times)

2018-02-06, 05:03:00

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
Hello,

I recently built a workstation using an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x. My motherboard is a Asrock Taichi x399 and my CPU cooler a Noctua NH-U14S which was designed specifically for the Threadripper CPUs and apparently performs very well for most people.

I installed the motherboard's utility software and was startled to see that my CPU temp was hovering between 50C ambient and 80+C when rendering, which is way above what I expected. I downloaded 'Core Temp' - which seems to be a pretty popular CPU temp utility, and was relieved but also puzzled when it showed much lower temperatures. It's giving me a reading of 23C ambient right now.

Generally people seem to trust Core Temp above all else, as it apparently measures the temp of the actual CPU interior, but I'm still a little worried about the discrepancy. Is my motherboard utility just a load of bull?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

J

P.S.  Does anyone OC their Threadripper? I've read some stuff online suggesting that you don't get a whole lot of bang for your buck versus with Intel CPUs.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-06, 05:06:26 by kehlje »

2018-02-06, 11:04:09
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Apparently, Threadripper has the same temperature offset reporting as top Ryzen models. It's 27C Degrees, which correlate exactly to your reporting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6wr06q/does_the_1950x_have_the_same_20c_temperature/
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-02-06, 17:22:07
Reply #2

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
Oh interesting, I hadn't found this. Thank you for your help.