Author Topic: heli animation / unclipped vs Clipped HDRI Comparison  (Read 4866 times)

2014-06-12, 18:21:42

piripi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not a valid vimeo URL
hi guys,
its just a test for unclipped HDRI.
the hdri is sponsored by www.hdri-hub.com he was so kind to give me one 12k resolution for testing.

all the still images are rendered with 151 passes for comparison and see the difference between "Clipped" and "Unclipped".

also something to mention, you don't need vrayhdri-node!! straight image... bääm

1. unclipped hdri (normal bitmap image loader + NO Changes)
2. clipped hdri vrayHdri node (gamma: 1.0)
3. clipped hdri vrayHdri node (gamma: 0.8)
4. clipped hdri vrayHdri node (gamma: 0.6)
5. comparison gif (next post) image is to big for one post :(

Message from Andreas:
Hi,

I am Andreas from http://www.hdri-hub.com and we finally did shoot our first truly unclipped hdri environment so you have the full power of the sun. Such are still rare in the internet.
Now we am looking for a few people to give it a test drive and maybe get some great renderings in return, that we can use to promote it.

I think best would be automotive rendering guys, because of the nature of the location, but others can try it too. Just contact me if you are interested.

mail: info@hdri-hub.com

4k Version free for testing, but please contact andreas and send him some references, thanks
http://goo.gl/sJ59D4

cheers
Philipp
« Last Edit: 2014-06-12, 21:55:32 by piripi »

2014-06-12, 18:22:16
Reply #1

piripi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
gif animation for comparison

2014-06-12, 18:44:35
Reply #2

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting results! Does this only happen with unclipped HDRI's or "regular" HDRI's too?
Vray who?

2014-06-12, 18:48:47
Reply #3

piripi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the higher dynamic range an hdri has, the better the quality. so an unclipped hdri gives you the REAL illumination of an environment. with clipped hdri you have a disbalance in the illumination. there the sun is often way to strong compared to the sun.
that is why renderings with lower quality hdri often look too blue and have soft shadows

2014-06-12, 19:47:39
Reply #4

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah I see, thanks for the info. I've often had to desaturate my HDRI's to avoid the blue tint issue you mentioned. I hope these become more popular!
Vray who?

2014-06-13, 00:51:32
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, there are quite few high-dynamic HDRis on market (16+ stops), there is no need to invent new terms like "unclipped" :- D

I like the cheap price of hdri hub, but honestly, they are so bland. If I were in automobile industry, I would not place my car in super boring forest or next to trash house.
If he could just photograph locations like MOOFE/MAGROUND does, with the artistic flair, with prices he has now, that would be something I would be interested. Otherwise...they are much better out there right now.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-06-13, 12:50:55
Reply #6

piripi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for the comments.

Quote Andreas:
"Unclipped" is no invented term by me. It is a important trend in high quality productions that make it possible to produce accurate reproducable results.

I advice you to give this a read as it offers valuable information:
http://www.lollipopshaders.com/download/FMX2012/fmx2012-christos-obretenov.pdf
all the best andreas

2014-06-13, 12:56:01
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yeah, there is no such thing as unclipped HDRI. This is what you simply call "Correctly captured HDRI".

You can capture HDRI's with under 12 stops correctly only in some dimly lit interiors or cloudy exteriors. But during sunny day, you should shoot at very least 12 stops, ideally 16. If you do not, you do not produce clipped HDRI... you simply produce wrong HDRI.

As for the video, it is very nice, i like how shadow of heli blends with shadowed areas on HDRI and pops up on sunny areas.

As for general HDRI usage, i recommend using 3ds Max's native bitmap and opening HDR's with 32bit and def. exposure. In versions prior to Max 2014, you also have to manually override input gamma for HDRs. I am not saying you did something wrong. I am writing it here as it could be useful info for someone.