Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 492433 times)

2013-12-06, 10:16:20
Reply #195

claudyo

• Active Users
  • CGI artist / Interior Designer
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Hy Juraj, Apreciate your works, very inspired.
 But I have few questions about Corona.
I'm new to Corona as well to 3dsmax (went from a C4D enviroment). Tell me how u make the hdri to be seen from inside. I working on a scene where I use an PG hdri to light the scene, but when I look tru the windows it see burn out, I mean it's ok on the inside lighting, but I want to see the outside too. In vray, I often use a sphere with an hdri material aplied and use an compositing tag to uit to not use his gi and shadows, but that the vray works. tryng to see a tutorial on the web but didn't find anything usefull. And see in your last work that u managed to do what I want. Probably is an dumb question, but better asq before make mistake. and for exterior? it work hdri's to make lighting, or its better cun and sky?
Thanks in advice!
Claudiu
P.S. hdri aplied in the enviroment in the corona settings.
 Apologies for my gramatical mistakes language.

2013-12-06, 11:28:30
Reply #196

moadr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Vermeer by Stableworks
I'm new to Corona as well to 3dsmax (went from a C4D enviroment). Tell me how u make the hdri to be seen from inside. I working on a scene where I use an PG hdri to light the scene, but when I look tru the windows it see burn out, I mean it's ok on the inside lighting, but I want to see the outside too. In vray, I often use a sphere with an hdri material aplied and use an compositing tag to uit to not use his gi and shadows, but that the vray works. tryng to see a tutorial on the web but didn't find anything usefull. And see in your last work that u managed to do what I want. Probably is an dumb question, but better asq before make mistake. and for exterior? it work hdri's to make lighting, or its better cun and sky?
Thanks in advice!
Claudiu

I'm not Juraj, but I hope I understand your questions right and can answer them :)

If I understand it correctly, you also have Vray installed, so you can use a vrayHDRI in your environment slot. I prefer this method, because as a former vray user I find myself confident with the settings, that vray gives you (and it works flawlessly with Corona also). So if you want to see more of the exterior from inside, you should decrease the overall multiplier of your hdri and play with the camera inside (if you use vray physical camera, you can decrease the shutter speed or increase ISO). It depends on the HDRI itself, but maybe you should adjust the levels of it, desaturate it a bit, decrease the gamma to get the result that you want. But you should take it into consideration, that if you would like to have a nice-shiny-bright interior and a photorealistic image, than it's normal, that your exterior is burnt out. If you want to see more of it, from the inside, try to play with the mood, set up an overcasted environment for example, than it can be right.

As for the question if hdris or the sun+sky system is better, I think it depends on the situation and the mood you would like to achieve. None of them is better than the other. If you are making an interior shot, a sun+sky system can work for you, but for example if you have an exterior, a hdri can help you out with the surrounding environment and with the reflections it provides.
Adrian Moorsel

Vermeer by Stableworks   |   https://stableworks.tech

2013-12-06, 17:11:56
Reply #197

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks in advice!
Claudiu

It's partly because I tone-map the environment a slightly more than the inside in Photoshop using alpha mask ;- ) But I say, it;s only partly and not done for all pictures. It's something around 1EV more darker in the end, still subtle and containing the burn (which is correct and photorealistic) The reason also why burn is so minimal here because the windows are so large and many, and the interior has only bright materials, making very little difference in luminance levels between indoor and outdoor, it's not possible to have this in space with smaller windows.
It's very specific for this example of architecture, it won't apply globally to all situations.

Vray works the same way, the sphere is very wrong aproach there as well, you can just create two domelight or one domelight, and one override,etc.. but not create lightmaterial on sphere. It's not 1999 :- ) As keymaster would mention, it's much harder to sample.

The most correct way to go around this is in post-production, again, just like in photography.

I use HDRi if I can get the benefits of it, like reflections, environment,etc..so it makes sense to use it almost for all exteriors. There is almost no disandvantage to HDRi, in Corona it seems to sample equally fast compared to Sun. (this is definitely not true for IBL lighting in Vray if it also contributes to GI, domelight is just...weird concept)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-12-06, 17:46:16
Reply #198

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In Corona you can also use one HDR map for environment lighting and another (for example slightly darker) for background.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-12-06, 18:37:20
Reply #199

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
In Corona you can also use one HDR map for environment lighting and another (for example slightly darker) for background.

I have this override setup at few shots, but most of the time I avoid it, as I like to have the opportunity to keep it untouched if it looks fine. Quick alpha correction in PS is faster and most efficient solution (and it also seem avoiding "fakes" can yield some benefits in Corona for now)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-12-07, 12:08:14
Reply #200

Asker

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj, I want to ask you if you are going to upload next tutorials from STU. I am newbie in 3ds max and it's very helpful.  Thank u :)

2013-12-07, 15:08:08
Reply #201

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj, I want to ask you if you are going to upload next tutorials from STU. I am newbie in 3ds max and it's very helpful.  Thank u :)

Hi asker, we had third lesson just yesterday, which was first when I spoke about cameras, composition, lighting. I think I'll speak directly in english and make the 4th video tomorrow,
as well give Peter Guthrie those long promised tips article. We just live in parallel time existence :- ) So it's not about uploading, but, making it.

2013-12-09, 22:33:15
Reply #202

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've uploaded some free 3D models on our site, and plan to update it more frequently !

http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,2201.msg16382.html#new

« Last Edit: 2013-12-10, 17:15:52 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-12-13, 16:28:06
Reply #203

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
as well give Peter Guthrie those long promised tips article. We just live in parallel time existence :- ) So it's not about uploading, but, making it.

Hurry up! ;)

2013-12-15, 19:06:58
Reply #204

Elviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Elviz 3D Visual Arts
Hello Juraj

Awesome stuff is going in this thread !

Wanted to ask you, how often if at all you use Render Elements in post production process (particularly ID based adjustments).

Thank you.
Elviz - 3D Visual Arts
www.elviz.co.il
elirender@gmail.com

2013-12-15, 22:58:17
Reply #205

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hello Juraj

Awesome stuff is going in this thread !

Wanted to ask you, how often if at all you use Render Elements in post production process (particularly ID based adjustments).

Thank you.

Outside of Z-depth, almost never. ID-Based, never.

2014-01-05, 18:47:10
Reply #206

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am having pretty miserable time. 2 years using Vray day by day, thinking I know it all and it's now that it's failing me in very complicated (GI...) scene. I swear, this might be last time I use it with those goddamn splotches and whatnot, just can't afford brute force in interior animation and the IR behaves so idiotically randomly and ugly. Wonder if the 3.0 is so miracolously faster in BF but doubt it. I desperately need to finish this and earn my whole-year rest.

In meantime, Veronika had much more enjoyable experience with Corona with her project. We hit render button, and next day got nice pictures. And maybe if she had time to setup the spotlights differently than actually having emissive material on small part in bulb (the crazy way...) it could probably render even fast. Outside of DOF, that had to be "enhanced" in PS with some quick masking = )

This year's gonna be full Corona for us, for everything, not only stills. I am pretty sure we're gonna have great time.

2014-01-05, 20:28:19
Reply #207

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
He-he Juraj. I was sure that mirroring of textures is not your method. But I'm just jealous.

Looks too cool for commercial project.

2014-01-05, 20:43:51
Reply #208

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
He-he Juraj. I was sure that mirroring of textures is not your method. But I'm just jealous.

Looks too cool for commercial project.

I didn't mapped that :- D I would make sure it's not that obvious heh.
But yeah, mirroring is pretty much necessary when the sample is too small in physical scope.

It's not commercial though ! This is Veronika's small school project. I won't be able to post any commercial stuff for quite some time.

2014-01-05, 23:50:12
Reply #209

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks a bit blown-out, other than that, light distribution is nice :)
And BTW Juraj, I urge You to be a man of Your word and share those long promised tutorials everyone are quietly waiting for :) !
I have a feeling that since You are less present here, the forum got somehow quiet ;) don't abandon us dude :D!