Author Topic: Discussions about people's expectations, Corona developement, life and other things  (Read 19135 times)

2021-06-04, 19:48:19

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

2021-06-04, 20:02:49
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I hope the guys will work hard to release tonemapping early into v8 daily builds. Being the one who uses Corona only for personal needs, i'm ok with that, but for people who can only work with final releases - Q1 2022 - ouch.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-06-04, 20:11:25
Reply #2

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
I hope the guys will work hard to release tonemapping early into v8 daily builds. Being the one who uses Corona only for personal needs, i'm ok with that, but for people who can only work with final releases - Q1 2022 - ouch.

;)

2021-06-04, 21:31:54
Reply #3

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice... in 10 months and 4 features. Only one is really big... but.
I can't find the words to describe how I'm feeling. Just remember how were developed builds before v2...
Or... it is a strategy to move people to V-Ray?

2021-06-04, 21:41:04
Reply #4

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just noticed on trello that you yet again postponed to next release probably the most anticipated feature that people beg for for at least two or three releases.

HUGE disappointment.
HUGE red flag.

"Big release focused on significantly improving workflow and realism" - we get:
-shortening time spent opening the scene - like 10-20 sec. on scene open is that big ?
-optimizing displacement
-improved sun and sky - partialy done in previous release
-material library content update - half moved to next release. Anyone btw using this day to day in serious projects where most materials is client requested and thus custom made ?
-new shader - only meaningfull update

All the above in 10 months development time. Trying to be highly diplomatic - I'd call it sluggish.

Sorry to say this but for me this is a joke. Again - highly disappointed. Starting to look for alternatives.

2021-06-04, 23:18:05
Reply #5

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
again? really? :D
« Last Edit: 2021-06-04, 23:28:04 by marchik »

2021-06-04, 23:46:47
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I guess I sympathize a little with some of the ire regarding development speed, but some of the updates for v7-8 are tectonic shifts in how Corona Renderer handles essential aspects of the rendering pipeline (e.g. physical material and tonemapping), so I can't say I'm surprised it could take nearly a year or longer to implement.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new Physical Material and one thing that stands out to me is that without adding the switch system to determine whether IOR or specular mode is used, it completely breaks compatibility with the Substance in 3ds Max plugin.

The Substance in 3ds Max plugin is a really problematic implementation, but it is the only official guide for replicating Substance graphs in SME.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-04, 23:56:10 by cjwidd »

2021-06-05, 00:00:02
Reply #7

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ChaosGroup should have their CEO comment on this.
Why did it take almost a year for a physical material? Seems excessive and worrisome.

2021-06-05, 04:31:58
Reply #8

longhard

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-06-05, 07:40:26
Reply #9

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess I sympathize a little with some of the ire regarding development speed, but some of the updates for v7-8 are tectonic shifts in how Corona Renderer handles essential aspects of the rendering pipeline (e.g. physical material and tonemapping), so I can't say I'm surprised it could take nearly a year or longer to implement.

Last really "tectonic" shift we saw was Interactive renderer IMO that generated large influx of new users as it was a blast in a workflow and something fresh.
Besides you can call something tectonic when it existst. As far as I remember people speak about tonemapping overhaul for years now and it is posponed for second time already. As is for example slicer - lost count already for how many releases it gets pushed back - 3 or 4 already, probably even more ?
Promises, promises. I'll believe it when I see it. So far I don't.

Pareto principle should be put into the development plan.
Interactive renderer, good shader, good tonemapping. This should be top priority at all times and 20-30% foundation. Rest 70-80% is more or less important noise.

I really do hope that tonemapping gets prioritized hard AF in the dailies after v7 release.

So far my all time point stands. How can you invest in something when it does not deliver (roadmap). Imagine a client coming back to you and comissioning another set of renders if the last time you screwed up and after agreeing on doing the job in 2 months you did it in 6 or 8 ? You might get a second chance if you screw up once. But do it again and you never see that client back. Moreover you can be sure he mentions to his colleagues in the field that it would be somewhat wise to maybe look for some other contractor than this particular company X as they fail to deliver.
This is so basic business  ethics I can't even imagine how this can be of a discussion.

Basic thinking operating on the example of slicer is - OK, the renderer is cool, meets my requirements has this killer IR feature, lacks the feature I really need in my day to day work but there are workarounds and they say they will introduce the feature in the next release. I'm making a switch. Guess what. Promises.

2021-06-05, 08:25:55
Reply #10

specialagent

• Users
    • View Profile
This is extremely disappointing, Corona is a good render engine but without a proper tone mapper, it is simply a few years behind and there are better choices out there.
Corona 7 is no longer a big release, you should probably change the tagline.

2021-06-05, 09:53:21
Reply #11

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-06-05, 11:33:19
Reply #12

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi,
I am a little bit  surprised by this strong demand for improvement of "tone mapping". I'll be curious if a lot of people use Vray's new "ACES" workflow which seems like a gas factory to me. I do not really believe in ready-made solutions because what matters in the end are the images produced ... After obviously all improvements are welcome but I do not believe too much in the revolution of "tone mapping" for the architectural image ... but that's just my point of view ...

mienda

2021-06-05, 12:35:17
Reply #13

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi,
I am a little bit  surprised by this strong demand for improvement of "tone mapping". I'll be curious if a lot of people use Vray's new "ACES" workflow which seems like a gas factory to me. I do not really believe in ready-made solutions because what matters in the end are the images produced ... After obviously all improvements are welcome but I do not believe too much in the revolution of "tone mapping" for the architectural image ... but that's just my point of view ...

mienda

totally agree. anyway task
"do absolutely the whole post-process"  in Frame Buffer
I personally find it completely unrealistic and unnecessary because there will always be certain applications that make more accurate corrections and post-processing. yes of course it can make the work easier also in post-processing and possibly get a more attractive look, but what has been done now in Vray in this direction is just ridiculous. just try to play with all these bells and whistles with a resolution of 8-k in Frame Buffer with huge heavy scene in 3dmax/[:
« Last Edit: 2021-06-05, 12:46:40 by denisgo22 »

2021-06-05, 14:12:12
Reply #14

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi,

mienda

I don't necessarily care about a new tone mapping workflow either. I can use photoshop. But that's not the point here I think.
Edit: On the other hand we're getting Aerial perspective and an improved sun & sky model, which I haven't seen yet but hope it will be great.
Edit 2: And let's be honest, who thought they could do a new physical material AND a new tone mapper for the same version?
« Last Edit: 2021-06-05, 14:21:09 by lupaz »