Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1098047 times)

2016-07-18, 23:57:39
Reply #915

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's weird. I used the converter (1.26) with no problem. Now I try to use it on a similar scene but nothing happens and the materials do not get translated.

All the options are at default, this is what the listener says:
INFO: Converting scene materials...
INFO: Material conversion took 0.006 seconds
INFO: Iterations: 1, converted: 1
INFO: Converting scene maps...
Autodesk_Map
INFO: Map conversion took 0.002 seconds
INFO: Iterations: 1, converted: 1
INFO: Converting scene lights...
INFO: Light conversion took 0.022 seconds
INFO: Iterations: 11
Conversion done.

When I render, everything is an error message pointing to an Autodesk material. I did not have the problem doing the same thing earlier today.

Any thoughts? I am converting an imported FBX of the Revit sample scene house.

Another thing I noticed is that I am unable to click on the links in the translator: Things to check after conversion, etc

2016-07-19, 00:02:33
Reply #916

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I fixed it by saving the scene before converting...

2016-07-19, 01:01:39
Reply #917

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, this happens if you try to convert something right after an import. It's a max limitation, it only creates the "list of used materials in the scene" while saving (since it takes quite a while and the max devs seem to avoid that on all costs).
About the links: which max version are you using?
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-07-22, 12:34:05
Reply #918

Design at Sketch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

First of all great script !

I have just upgraded to Max 2017 and have installed the script fine but it isn't converting anything. Is the script set up for 2017 yet ? and if so is anyone else experiencing problems ?

2016-07-23, 12:44:47
Reply #919

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I'm not using 2017 myself yet so I haven't tried it. In theory it should work fine - maxscript basically hasn't changed in the last decade (just additions) - that's why you can still use scripts from max 5 ;)
I just received another bug report for a different script of mine which seems have suddenly stopped working correctly in 2017. Max versions below are working fine - so I assume this might be a max issue. I will install 2017 soon and see if I can reproduce any of these issues.
Is there any error report or maxscript error (left lower corner) showing up when you try it?

2016-07-23, 15:24:42
Reply #920

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
 Well, I'm using 2017 (which is quite good especially in terms of viewport speed btw. - see some up to 4x speed improvement on some scenes !!!) and Corona converter works as it should well at least no different from what it does in previous versions of 3ds max.
 One thing though, somehow, for quite a time, I didn't notice what show maps ON\OFF buttons were removed in the 1.27 version - could you bring those back please, those helped tremendously on some large scenes where even my gpu's 8gig ram is not enough (not to tell how some of my colleague's 2 or 4 gig gpu's behave in such a scenes)), I mean the kind of scenes with literally thousands of materials with even more textures, where going and enabling\disabling of all of those manually is a tremendous job of itself aka a total waste of time and effort and where show map off done on all the scene and then enabling those only on some currently worked on parts can help to maintain a somewhat decent performance due to a controllable gpu ram usage.
 Of course I understand what those kind of scenes are rather rare and what most of users just don't need those functions + your desire to keep converter's ui as uncluttered as possible is understandable as well, but if so, maybe you could do some separate macro script from that part of CC's code which was responsible for those ? - I am probably too greedy (as usual)) but, what would be of no less help too and maybe it could even be some separate macro's for show'\hide on selected, show\hide all, which could be pinned to whatever part of max's ui or even to a quad menu if one wishes )     

2016-07-23, 16:56:36
Reply #921

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I think that "Show maps ON/OFF" was removed because Corona materials now works with Max's "Show Materials and Maps". So therefore you should now be able to turn maps on/off globally via Max, and on/off for individual materials in the Material editor.

I'm sure DeadClown will correct me if I'm wrong :)

2016-07-23, 19:24:16
Reply #922

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Yes you're right and that's great to finally have that ability, but my point is slightly different - here are some screenshots with some crude annotations I tried to make which would better illustrate what I mean, or at least I hope so )

edit: forgot to mention this - http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/120-quick-tip-1-free-up-memory-in-3dsmax-3ds-max-by-tom-isaksen-tips - good old trick which is still can help a lot when dealing with such a scenes it helps especially well after material previews are disabled in any way.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-23, 19:36:45 by antanas »

2016-07-23, 20:03:37
Reply #923

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ahh... Yes I see what you mean, and yes the "only selected" option is really useful is such scenario.

BTW - What city is this a model of?

2016-07-23, 21:20:48
Reply #924

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
That's my home town, Yalta or more precisely some crude approximation of it (not too bad one if you recognized it as I presume you did)) still, that scene is quite a work in process. Some different part of that scene rendered in it's earlier development state you can see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/18340080264/ - that scene is sort of never-ending personal project which sometimes helps me to better (and sometimes even faster)) visualize some of my own architectural projects or do some occasional visualizations of other architects projects which I do in that area - well I work mostly there so why not make my next work a little easier when I have some free time and am willing to do something useful instead of gaming) Some examples of that scene used in such projects you could see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/18936404306/in/photostream/ or here https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/18776438699/in/photostream/ - far from perfect but it's getting better over the time albeit it's a slow process )

2016-07-25, 09:38:31
Reply #925

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
The code and buttons are still in there, I was just hiding them for now. The native support for the "show material in vp" option is one reason, the other is that I wanted to know how many people actually use it and how long it would take until someone asks for it to come back :D
No, joking aside, I will get it back in, I just need to change stuff a little bit ;)

@antanas: what's the name of this gpu monitoring tool you're using?

2016-07-25, 15:34:14
Reply #926

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Well I did see that it was removed the day I installed the v1.27, which was quite a while ago but hadn't been complaining here because I got no free time to do so then (work, work, work) and thus ran the earlier version just for those functions - now I got a little spare time so here I am ))
About monitoring utility - it's just a gpu-z https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ - probably you didn't recognize it because of a super flat, grey windows theme I now use )

2016-07-25, 15:44:16
Reply #927

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Oh, I'm just stupid. There is this update notification field in one of your screenshots which contains the information too m( . It's too hot here, my brain doesn't work correctly ;) Thanks!

2016-07-25, 15:48:54
Reply #928

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@antanas: Thanks for you reply regarding your city model. I've worked intensively with city models the last 10+ years, so I'm always interested in "what" and "how" in this field :)

It's some really nice renderings you've made from it, and I would really like to hear more about it. But since it's rather off topic here, I would encourage you to make a dedicated thread about it (if you haven't already, and I just overlooked it).

Great work, keep it up :)

2016-07-25, 16:00:20
Reply #929

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
+1 i also would like to see topic in WIP section dedicated to this massive Yalta city model of antanas!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures