Author Topic: Corona Pattern UV mapping  (Read 1533 times)

2023-01-11, 16:53:07

Sandertype

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm trying to have one texture for the whole object that has corona Pattern on it. However, the texture is rendered for the node, but not as a general texture. Am I missing something?
Please, see video below:

2023-01-11, 17:29:36
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

try to use a standard max bitmap node and set the mapping to "Planar from World XYZ" (or "Planar from Object XYZ").

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-01-11, 17:46:25
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you want each repeat of the pattern geo to have the material mapping of the individual object being repeated:
UV mode: Pattern Object
Check "Use Pattern material"

If you want the repeats of the pattern geo to be colored by mapping defined from the object being patterned onto (the base object):
UV mode: Base object
Uncheck "Use pattern material"

Since the pattern is repeated based on the UV mapping of the base object, if you want the repeats to be colored by some unique mapping (e.g. you are patterning onto a spline, but want the pattern to be projected as if planar)
UV mode: Base object
Uncheck "Use pattern material"
Add a UV Map in the modifier  stack and set its channel to 2
Change the map that is controlling the color to be defined by UV channel 2

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-01-11, 17:48:34
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Pattern mode, Pattern material checked - each repeat of the chain link copies the mapping of the initial geometry fed into the pattern. The material applied to the base object is ignored.

2023-01-11, 17:49:34
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Base mode, pattern material unchecked, UV modifier applied to the base object to give planar mapping for it in UV channel 2, and checker set to be based on UV channel 2. This is a material applied only to the base object (the material applied to the geometry being repeated is the same as the last example):

2023-01-11, 17:53:44
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can skip the extra UV Map and channel if the mapping of the base object (the one that drives the repeats of the Pattern) is the same mapping you want to use for the texturing. In this case though due to this being along a spline, I wanted to do something different rather than have the UV follow the path of the spline, just to make a clearer difference in the result :)

2023-01-11, 18:53:48
Reply #6

Sandertype

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Perfect! Thank you both for the prompt responses.
Thanks TomG for the detailed explanation.

I suggest Chaos adding this info to the end of this video.

Cheers.

2023-01-11, 20:34:30
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We'll make a separate video covering the various mappings, in part that makes a nice split and keeps videos short, but also YouTube doesn't allow editing of videos and you have delete something and start again. But we'll be sure to cover it in video format, always the most useful! Meantime, I hope the info here helps you get the result you were after.

2023-01-11, 21:49:58
Reply #8

Sandertype

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We'll make a separate video covering the various mappings, in part that makes a nice split and keeps videos short, but also YouTube doesn't allow editing of videos and you have delete something and start again. But we'll be sure to cover it in video format, always the most useful! Meantime, I hope the info here helps you get the result you were after.

Sure. A separate video works too. My suggestion was mostly for others.
Thank you again.

2023-01-13, 09:43:40
Reply #9

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can also have a look at the Corona Pattern article, which covers more in detail various mapping types and cases:

https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/7713194687633-Corona-Pattern-Modifier-3ds-Max
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-01-13, 13:15:55
Reply #10

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Then please someone tell me how to achieve this with CoronaBitmap without getting complicated or mad or both. See scene; the goal would be to add a texture that continues even outside the pattern mod seamlessly as shown in the use case image (dirt even spreads across the decal used for the e-car logo).

Good Luck

2023-01-13, 14:01:16
Reply #11

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Use CoronaDecal ;)

2023-01-13, 14:12:50
Reply #12

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Yes, I missed to mention decals in the line of "getting complicated or mad or both" but thought about it :)

Anyway I think it's a common use case (and maybe what the OP wanted to do) and you just cannot do it with CoronaBitmap due to the lack of mapping features. Thus my advice to use a standard max bitmap.

Good Luck

2023-01-13, 14:34:11
Reply #13

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can get actually pretty close if you use Cross map with CoronaTriplanar.
But the use case you are mentioning is a pure CoronaDecal texturing thing, way more convenient and way more straightforward than playing around with mapping types and size.

And specifically in the case of dirt or something that fades away, you can easily mask it directly for the decal used, and not have another hard time for mapping the mask to the texture.

Yes, CoronaBitmap lacks mapping types, but you have Bitmap for it which is supported by Corona :)

2023-01-13, 14:50:04
Reply #14

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Yes, CoronaBitmap lacks mapping types, but you have Bitmap for it which is supported by Corona :)

That was my point. The use case image is just an extended scenario which comes for free when using global mapping. Basically what's in the scene file is the basic issue - even if not spreading outside the pattern mod area. And even for this case I know of no solution to do it with CoronaBitmap.

Good Luck