Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

mapping help

(1/7) > >>

Erich:
Hello. I am trying to create a bottle label consisting of a gold graphic element on a square white background. The bottle itself has a displacement texture that I'd like to exclude from the label area. I have included a screen shot so you can see what I am trying to do.

I was able to apply the gold graphic to the bottle using a Corona decal, but am having difficulty getting the white background square behind it. My plan was to use another Corona decal for the background, hoping to remove the displacement effect through the decal properties. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make that work. Is there a way to do this with corona decals, or is there a another, easier way to do this? I thought this would be a relatively simple thing to do, but all of my efforts have not brought about the intended results. Any help would be appreciated.

Aram Avetisyan:
Hi,

I am not sure I exactly got what you wanted to have (a screenshot or image would help here) but from what you have described, I am sure that it is well possible to do with Corona decal.

If you want, share an image of what you want to get and the sample file, and I will help you out.

romullus:

--- Quote from: Erich on 2024-04-12, 23:48:12 ---I was able to apply the gold graphic to the bottle using a Corona decal, but am having difficulty getting the white background square behind it. My plan was to use another Corona decal for the background, hoping to remove the displacement effect through the decal properties. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make that work. Is there a way to do this with corona decals, or is there a another, easier way to do this? I thought this would be a relatively simple thing to do, but all of my efforts have not brought about the intended results. Any help would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

If i understand correctly what you want, this should be possible to do with decals. Make sure second decal (the one with white square) has displacement enabled and add to base disabled. That way its displacement will override bottle's displacement and you should have knurling free area where you want.

Like always there are other methods to achieve what you want that does not require usage of decals, but if decals are working for you, i see no reason not to use them.

Erich:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2024-04-13, 10:56:36 ---
--- Quote from: Erich on 2024-04-12, 23:48:12 ---I was able to apply the gold graphic to the bottle using a Corona decal, but am having difficulty getting the white background square behind it. My plan was to use another Corona decal for the background, hoping to remove the displacement effect through the decal properties. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make that work. Is there a way to do this with corona decals, or is there a another, easier way to do this? I thought this would be a relatively simple thing to do, but all of my efforts have not brought about the intended results. Any help would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

If i understand correctly what you want, this should be possible to do with decals. Make sure second decal (the one with white square) has displacement enabled and add to base disabled. That way its displacement will override bottle's displacement and you should have knurling free area where you want.

Like always there are other methods to achieve what you want that does not require usage of decals, but if decals are working for you, i see no reason not to use them.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Romullus. That helped. Also, I found it it is important to place the decal objects in the right order! The reason I wanted to use Corona Decals is that it provides a very easy and fast way to change out the label or to make changes to the color of the label (and in this case, the background label). I decided to use a black, or no background, instead of the white as I think it shows off the logo and text better. I have attached some images to show this versatility.

But I am curious as to what other methods you would recommend.

Aram Avetisyan:
Note that you can even use Curved decals with Corona 12 Daily builds, which should be the real use case for you I believe.

Remember to back up your scenes though when opening them with experimental/daily builds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version