Author Topic: Material Presets  (Read 6199 times)

2016-01-21, 10:32:36

Kilja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Hi

I have a requested feature: Material Presets.
Im working in the architectural business with 3ds max and Corona. In 3ds max Design the default renderer is mental ray, and with mental ray you have this preset Materials called "Arch&Design".
So i thought it would be nice to have something similar with corona. So if you buy and install corona, you have some basic materials and Textures such as Glass, Concrete, Wood, Steel etc.

I think that would be great for new users to join Corona as their first render engine. They can look how the preset materials work and have a quicker result. For me i have my own mat library but it would be a great marketing point if i can say to my colleagues who dont have any experience in rendering that they can just apply preset Materials in the first case.

2016-01-21, 11:16:04
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, please check out this page:
https://corona-renderer.com/resources/materials/

You can also learn about some basic materials in our helpdesk:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515622

We will definitely need to release updated material libraries at some point, so thank you for the feedback.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-01-21, 11:23:22
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think it's necessary. There's only handful controls in CoronaMaterial. What defines good material mostly comes from maps and those cannot be added by presets. Without maps most materials would look very similar. Basically theres three distinctive material groups: dielectrics, metals and refractive materials. Don't think it's worth to create presets for those, as basic parameters can be set as fast and easy as it would require to select material from presets list. In both cases you still need to add maps and there's where main work begins.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-01-21, 11:54:02
Reply #3

Kilja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Thank you for reply. I know every of the ressourced mentioned above. And as i said, it would not be for me, but i know some people who really like drag and drop simple materials and just add it to their scene. They dont want to mess too much with every control feature in the first place. Many people are overstrained when they join in to Arch Viz. I knew many architects who are^^

In "Arch&Design" you can chose a Material and it sets every control AND it chooses the right maps and everything too. So maybe its possible to deliver a folder with some standard maps and set them directly if a preset material is chosen. What do you think? If that is not possible, i agree that it wouldnt be that useful. But if its possible in any way that would be great for many customers not just the hardcore cgi people who at least used 2-3 renderers before.

2016-01-21, 12:04:35
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think what you're talking about is not presets, but material libraries. I agree that it could be good idea to optionally install those with Corona renderer. Don't know if it's technically possible, though.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-01-21, 14:29:31
Reply #5

Kilja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Yes, something like that would be great.

2017-09-18, 13:27:28
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
done
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-02-09, 13:05:48
Reply #7

Kilja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
my dream came true