Author Topic: Giving away your work  (Read 5018 times)

2015-07-01, 12:55:56

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right now I´m mad as a matafaka.
So the thing is that (I assume some another company) has asked our client to give them .max-files and our client is asking them from me now.
I said to our general manager that I don't want to give them - he said well I understand but in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.

This January I made some animations for one company - then after a month or two some guy sent me email asking for .max files.
He wrote he was hired from school to work there as an animator but he don't know how to make the same quality (with MR) like I have done in the animations (Corona).
We wrote them that we cant give the .max-files - then he basically showed his middle finger to us saying blaa blaa blaa etc.
(last week we got a call from them saying they will pay for the .max-files but I don't know what is our GMs take on this..)

So what are your opinions for giving .max-files to clients?
If I ever will work as a freelancer, all my contracts will say "I dont give .max-files, only images".

2015-07-01, 13:14:21
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If I ever will work as a freelancer, all my contracts will say "I dont give .max-files, only images".
This. Everything should be settled in the contract or other binding document in detail.

You said that "in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.". Then what's the problem?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-07-01, 13:32:04
Reply #2

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it's very particular to each circumstance but, like you say, as a freelancer it's not something you'd ever offer up freely without discussion.

Initially I like to discourage clients who ask for a .max file by producing a list of all of the texture/HDRI/plugin/commercial 3D asset licenses that they would need to purchase in order to make use of the scene as it stands. I've found that many of those who ask for the scene files don't even understand what they're asking for. It's a request that comes from a department that simply wants to secure ownership of all the data being produced.

Obviously in your case you are bound by the decision of your company and the contract you've issued but if this guy wants your files to learn from what you've done and are talking about paying for them then why not see what price they offer for the privilege?

2015-07-01, 13:40:35
Reply #3

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You said that "in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.". Then what's the problem?
Well true. I had to follow our GMs order and give files.
But once we gave files straight to our com petitioner, it´s good to give everyone told me, do it they said. Then I kinda lost
all viz-work for about two years. The competitors took our biggest client and they didn't order anything from us anymore.
If I didn't own shares in this company and wouldn't manage the IT here, then I would have been soooooo laid of.

2015-07-01, 13:42:29
Reply #4

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Initially I like to discourage clients who ask for a .max file by producing a list of all of the texture/HDRI/plugin/commercial 3D asset licenses that they would need to purchase in order to make use of the scene as it stands.
Well now if someone wants to continue my work from where I left - they need to order Corona v1 :)

2015-07-01, 14:24:51
Reply #5

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The best thing you can do is strip the whole scene bare( remove HDRI/Lights), apply basic corona material on everything you have. Set render settings to default.
You give them the scene but its worthless. And you did hold up to your agreement.

2015-07-01, 16:44:59
Reply #6

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The best thing you can do is strip the whole scene bare( remove HDRI/Lights), apply basic corona material on everything you have. Set render settings to default.
You give them the scene but its worthless. And you did hold up to your agreement.

True. I would also want to add that if you want to maintain good relationship with your client, make it clear that you cannot give them assets that weren't done exclusively for him and also that you cannot give nor resell assets that you bought and used in the job you did for him.

I also work for a client that requests all source files. But at the very beginning we agreed that I will not include anything but things I did and only those I did for them! Also I wouldn't agree even to that if I had any suspicion they would be able to use it in any way.. They just want to have it.. 

If your task is to do some stills or animation, then your output/product are those stills or animation. So, them requesting your working files and assets is close to buying a car but also asking for all the machinery and plans on how to build one.

It's actually funny that you had such a thing in the contract and didn't notice that..

2015-07-01, 22:16:46
Reply #7

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page

Initially I like to discourage clients who ask for a .max file by producing a list of all of the texture/HDRI/plugin/commercial 3D asset licenses that they would need to purchase in order to make use of the scene as it stands. I've found that many of those who ask for the scene files don't even understand what they're asking for. It's a request that comes from a department that simply wants to secure ownership of all the data being produced.

Pretty much this. I'll give the client the CAD (or other format)base model file, but I won't include any entourage assets from 3rd parties or anything that required a plugin to make.

2015-07-05, 18:24:28
Reply #8

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right now I´m mad as a matafaka.
So the thing is that (I assume some another company) has asked our client to give them .max-files and our client is asking them from me now.
I said to our general manager that I don't want to give them - he said well I understand but in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.

This January I made some animations for one company - then after a month or two some guy sent me email asking for .max files.
He wrote he was hired from school to work there as an animator but he don't know how to make the same quality (with MR) like I have done in the animations (Corona).
We wrote them that we cant give the .max-files - then he basically showed his middle finger to us saying blaa blaa blaa etc.
(last week we got a call from them saying they will pay for the .max-files but I don't know what is our GMs take on this..)

First off, what does MR have to do with animation quality? All in all you are basically answering every single question/complaint you are making.

2015-07-05, 19:42:51
Reply #9

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
I will remove all the models/textures i can´t legally redistribute, ask for a lot of money and if the client pays it, its ok to me. I will never give it for free.

But even if you give everything to someone this doesn´t mean he can make the same, there is a lot behind our work, the scene contains just some technical aspects of the final image. Some great artist are selling her complete scenes for 100-200€ and they still the best around there. The technical stuff it´s just the "base" of a good image, is like learn how to use a reflex camera (this don´t make you a great photographer). The most important part it´s not in the MAX.

Just my personal opinion. ;)