Author Topic: Soooo stingray is out august 19th!!!  (Read 6239 times)

2015-08-03, 17:04:48

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-08-03, 17:19:00
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It's probably too early to say anything constructive, but in the demos it looks nowhere close to UE. It was funny how they spoke about amazing GI in that train station scene which looked really crappy.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-03, 23:32:54
Reply #2

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea it looks like there is actually no G.I at all. Not the most impressive trailer ever made heh!

2015-08-04, 10:47:57
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Super trashy video. Whoever cut it had no idea what to put there.

This is the "lit" version of the Station. Still poor example to show baked lighting, although there shouldn't be any issue with quality. Beast is in no way inferior to Lightmass, it's quite identical underhood.

I dunno, whatever integration it has within ADesk, everything sort of pales in comparison to Unreal currently. Except for visual research where CryEngine will always due to sheer size of development team always come ahead (Epic has almost none in this regard), but everything else wise UE4 is simply the only rational choice.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-08-04, 12:46:18
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well.. if the "live-link" and the link between Stingray and Max (+ Maya) works as described, then this could sure be a handy and efficient tool in the Building/Construction industry to make interactive sessions during development. And for those cases where time is more important than visual quality, it could be used for a final interactive showcase too. If (and only if) everything works as expected from the promo's then this could be a great tool - still leaving the need for "Realistic" off-line renders.

Looking forward to see what AD actually delivers :)

2015-08-05, 15:06:53
Reply #5

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
The images and video look like Half-Life 2/CS Source quality at best. Not impressed.

2016-03-21, 08:35:40
Reply #6

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
I think the quality is really good for being a live link and it promises 0 development to get in real time engine. In the construction industry you have to move fast and virtual mocks dont require overkill illustration, but you have to middle ground quality visualization.

anyone have any workflows for this in corona?

2016-04-07, 10:19:46
Reply #7

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unless I don't know what i'm talking about, what's a pain in the workflow isn't exporting/importing between softwares, it's modeling carefully and uv unwrapping everything. You'll still going to have to model carefully and uv unwrap for stingray because it uses the same techniques afaik. You just skip the import/export. Materials being compatible between max and stingray might be a plus but again, if I model my scene for unreal, I don't waste time doing materials in max at all.

Now if max/maya can bake lightmaps for stingray faster and with higher quality than lightmass does in unreal, THAT would be very good! Kinda like progressive rendering to have a preview of what your lightmaps are going to look like once baked.

A little bit like this http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr-developers/unite-2014-seattle-powervr-ray-tracing-behind-the-lightmaps-in-the-unity-editor for Unity 5! Progressive rendering is a must have nowadays imo.

2016-07-22, 10:01:41
Reply #8

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bit of a resurrection but now its around version 1.3 has anyone had a good go at any projects in it? would unreal still be the better way?

They spoke about it recently in London and made it sound pretty good for just keeping it linked with max, easy to edit models etc and using materials straight from Max, with possibility of converting VRay to Stingray. Though I'm on Corona so that doesnt help me anyway.

2016-07-22, 14:16:58
Reply #9

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haven't seen arch-viz made with stingray yet but if vray to stingray material is true it's a nice feature...  I guess.