Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Daily Builds

Corona 1.4 render setup UI overhaul

(1/9) > >>

Ludvik Koutny:
Here's concept for improved UI open for feedback:

Denoiser mode moved into scene settings:

Reasoning:
Denoising is not something that affects true performance of rendering, it's more of a postprocess effect. Also, Performance settings are described as something only experienced users should touch, that's definitely not the case of turning denoiser on/off.

Denoiser radius moved from debug into scene settings next to the denoiser toggle:

Reasoning:
When we are denoising images that are very close to the final, with very little residual noise, we may benefit from using lower denoiser radius, so we can clean up very subtle noise with nearly no detail loss. Also, when trying to denoise very noisy images, it may be beneficial to increase denoiser radius to get clean and less splotchy result, at the expense of some detail.

Pros:
More control over how denoiser works

Cons:
One more UI element bloating UI
May confuse new users who may set it up wrong and then whine on support portal denoiser causes too much detail loss or produces blotches.

Added % sign after Noise limit spinner

Reasoning:
To indicate value is set in percent

Adaptivity toggle will remain in devel/debug settings

Reasoning:
Adaptivity will be always on by default, and we should focus to make it more proof for all of the scenarios. So if you have any scene where adaptivity makes results worse, then definitely post it on mantis. Of course, adaptivity by design will often cause more noise on some areas of the image at the expense of cleaning up others. That's not a bug behavior. But if you find any scene where adaptivity makes picture truly worse, then definitely report it. It will stay exposed in deve/debug though, if someone ran across some rare scene, where it makes issues in the middle of production.

We may introduce "Adaptivity recalculation interval" setting

Reasoning:
This value defines how often is image evaluated and adaptivity sampling focus adjusted accordingly. In early testing build, default was 2, now, in latest build, default is 10. While 2 was way too low, 10 is probably way too much. If we expose this setting, would you guys be willing to intensively test it and help us find the best default among different scene types?

romullus:

--- Quote from: Rawalanche on 2016-03-02, 20:14:21 ---Here's concept for improved UI open for feedback:

--- End quote ---

I like it, but please, add checkboxes for denoiser and render selected instead of those none and disabled dummy modes. Have pity on users.

--- Quote from: Rawalanche on 2016-03-02, 20:14:21 ---We may introduce "Adaptivity recalculation interval" setting

Reasoning:
This value defines how often is image evaluated and adaptivity sampling focus adjusted accordingly. In early testing build, default was 2, now, in latest build, default is 10. While 2 was way too low, 10 is probably way too much. If we expose this setting, would you guys be willing to intensively test it and help us find the best default among different scene types?

--- End quote ---

For sure. But why not to leave it exposed permanently in devel/experimental rollout? I'm sure power users would love to have one more control to play with ;]

Christa Noel:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2016-03-02, 23:32:32 ---
--- Quote from: Rawalanche on 2016-03-02, 20:14:21 ---For sure. But why not to leave it exposed permanently in devel/experimental rollout? I'm sure power users would love to have one more control to play with ;]

--- End quote ---
yes big agree, I like that idea. +1!
--- End quote ---

lacilaci:

--- Quote from: noel20 on 2016-03-03, 03:54:18 ---
--- Quote from: romullus on 2016-03-02, 23:32:32 ---
--- Quote from: Rawalanche on 2016-03-02, 20:14:21 ---For sure. But why not to leave it exposed permanently in devel/experimental rollout? I'm sure power users would love to have one more control to play with ;]

--- End quote ---
yes big agree, I like that idea. +1!

--- End quote ---

Well if changing the setting can make a notable difference in performance, then yes... otherwise you can still experiment with it using string options right? "int adaptivity.adaptivityInterval = #"

By the way, interval is in passes right?
--- End quote ---

Ludvik Koutny:
In this particular case, checkboxes here do not make any sense honestly. It's a simple rule:

you would have 3 UI controls instead of 2, but they won't give you any additional flexibility (you won't be able to do anything new you could not do before) and they won't make process faster or easier to use. It will add visual UI clutter without any reward what so ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version