Author Topic: Render Legion and Corona Join Forces with Chaos Group  (Read 87948 times)

2017-08-27, 15:14:07
Reply #135

j_man

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Minmud
.  As a side note, I'm pretty sure the MC from the D2 video is going to show up at my house and break my kneecaps because I posted this...

Do you mean Peter the co-founder and CEO of the ChaosGroup?

J.

2017-08-27, 16:06:07
Reply #136

Demogorgon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vorona render.

2017-08-27, 16:08:14
Reply #137

scottofazphx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Alot of hate and sadness here, and ill add to that. I think this is a horrible move, im sure Render Legion has its reasons and i hope its for more then just a paycheck. As others have said i came to corona from vray, from the endless sea of tweaking settings and rendering over and over and over. Anyone in business knows what this leads to. This is the end of corona, might take years but development will stop and eventually be phased out. Look at the Macintosh and the Lisa products from Apple....cant have two competing products that do the same thing from the same company thats to much $$$ R&D costs. Vray is the flagship from Chaos, so it will always win.

2017-08-27, 16:12:33
Reply #138

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

And don't forget the terrible company that makes the vray conversion for c4d that takes at least months for updates and then puts out a broken version with features not working properly.
That's on us; we were young and inexperienced and we made a mistake. We will not make it again with Corona.

Best regards,
Vlado

Good news!! corona  for c4d team is doing one amazing job with the conversion!

I appreciate your support Marvey. I'm just sitting at my computer and I am trying to figure out by trial and error how to properly allocate Multipass Buffers in Team render in all cases (I hope this is the last bug). It's sometimes quite frustrating to use poorly documented Cinema 4D API, which is the main reason why there are the delays in the releases (not the Chaos Group), but I still think the work (to have well-integrated Corona in Cinema 4D) is worth it. Thank you again, and you can look forward to tomorrow's daily build if I fix the bug I am working on it right now.

Best regards,
Nikola

2017-08-27, 16:39:57
Reply #139

duke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here with Corona being more simple than Vray. For the past 3.5 years (since Vray 3.0) I adjust only 2 (two) settings in Vray - Noise Threshold and Render Time and then I press Render. That's it! Since Vray 3.0 there is no more fiddling with light or material subdivs, irradiance maps and other switches and settings. Out of the box it's as simple as Corona.

Unfortunately, people still perpetuate the myth that Vray is more complicated which is understandable maybe because they stopped using it before version 3.0 came out. Of course, if you are a power user, you have the ability to unlock all the pro settings and fine tune it to the maximum like before version 3.0. I challenge anyone to point me out what exactly is complicated with Vray in the recent versions (or even version 3.0 for that matter which is now more than 3 years old).

2017-08-27, 16:54:19
Reply #140

speltospel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • closeupvisual.com
Dear Vlado
no one hated the Corona team. what are you talking about. Everyone adores these guys.

everyone hates Vray (chaos) for what you did. you swallow them.
A small flower made its way through the asphalt. you ripped it off.

there is a saying "keep your friends close and enemies even closer" so You just bought your enemies.

2017-08-27, 17:09:03
Reply #141

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here with Corona being more simple than Vray. [...] Out of the box it's as simple as Corona.

I have to disagree, I admit I stopped using V-ray right when 3.0 was launched. I've worked in the product viz industry and there, changes of +5/-5 in HSV where catastrophic. The main problem was the lighting. In Vray I had to make 3 lights, one which was only affecting diffuse, one for reflection and one for..specular. With Corona, one light is enough as somehow things are way more realistic and balanced.

I don't hate ChaosGroup, but I know this. If it wasn't for Corona, I would have a much shittier situation and I wouldn't have one of my main clients. And If it wasn't for corona awesome FairSaas license, I really don't know what I could've done. I surely couldn't pay 850 euros for Vray

2017-08-27, 17:20:51
Reply #142

duke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's somewhat disapponting to read all these responses. Guys like Ondra and the rest of the Corona team are extremely rare, and they chose to work (very hard) for you. They can do many amazing things for you in the future as well. Still somehow you turned from loyal supporters to pure hatred in a single day. Hate me all you like, however those guys have been nothing but good to you.

I've worked on V-Ray really hard for 15 years, long days and many nights including weekends, with very few vacations, and no sick leaves to get where I am today (no matter how much you despise my work). It's a tough road to walk. Is it so bad that those guys want a short cut? I think you will like the results. Corona will continue to serve you well.

Best regards,
Vlado
you guys are who decided to use shortcut by destroy your competitor. this is a shortcut for chaos group , not corona team.

From New Horizons – plans for 2017 and beyond

Why did Render Legion decide to join Chaos Group?
We were looking for a strategic partner who would like to help us grow and who shared the same vision in the CG field. Chaos Group was able to offer us important knowledge in this field, with the resources and expertise to achieve our goals.

We shifted our focus to looking for a strategical partner instead, someone who shares our passion for CG graphics. We realised that such a partner could be Vlado and Peter from Chaos Group.

Neither Vlado nor anyone else at Chaos Group wants to destroy Corona. As you can see, it's the Corona team who approached Chaos Group for partnership. I think that some of you are way too emotional, which is understandable. So much so that you are willing to make up lies. As the developers of Corona put it, this will benefit both Vray and Corona users.

Last but not least, to further dispel the lies that Chaos Group want to destroy Corona, take a look for example at the upcoming Corona 1.7 release. It will use Vray's DMC sampler which will massively decrease render times. 2x render speed up on average from what I read. I won't say that this is "destroying" Corona. More like destroying the noise in Corona's renders faster. :)

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here with Corona being more simple than Vray. [...] Out of the box it's as simple as Corona.

I have to disagree, I admit I stopped using V-ray right when 3.0 was launched. I've worked in the product viz industry and there, changes of +5/-5 in HSV where catastrophic.
What is +5/-5 in HSV? Never heard of this.

The main problem was the lighting. In Vray I had to make 3 lights, one which was only affecting diffuse, one for reflection and one for..specular. With Corona, one light is enough as somehow things are way more realistic and balanced.
That's strange. I've never had to create 3 separate lights instead of one with any Vray version. I'm not sure why you did this. Looks like you didn't do your materials properly if you had issues with speculars and reflections.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-27, 18:07:46 by duke »

2017-08-27, 17:27:26
Reply #143

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
there is a saying "keep your friends close and enemies even closer" so You just bought your enemies.
There is another saying that goes "an enemy is just a friend you haven't made yet." I like it better.

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 17:43:20
Reply #144

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This is the end of corona, might take years but development will stop and eventually be phased out.
I don't think that will be the case. Corona's code and architecture is quite modern and will carry it forward for a long time.

Vray is the flagship from Chaos, so it will always win.
Maybe it will be around, but the truth is that V-Ray is getting old. I don't know if you've seen Cars 3, it's a very nice movie and somewhat relevant to the discussion :)

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 17:46:34
Reply #145

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If it wasn't for Corona, I would have a much shittier situation and I wouldn't have one of my main clients. And If it wasn't for corona awesome FairSaas license, I really don't know what I could've done.
That's great and we want to keep it this way.

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 17:50:06
Reply #146

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A small flower made its way through the asphalt. you ripped it off.
I don't think we ripped it off, I'd like to think we gave it more space to grow and regular fresh water.

Best regards,
Vlado
« Last Edit: 2017-08-27, 17:54:07 by vlado »

2017-08-27, 18:26:25
Reply #147

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Hats off to you Vlado for taking the time and responding to a very shocked community
I can comment and respect that
oh and remember, make rendering great again : )

2017-08-27, 18:27:48
Reply #148

lukx

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-08-27, 18:45:01
Reply #149

A515

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.arch515.com
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here with Corona being more simple than Vray. For the past 3.5 years (since Vray 3.0) I adjust only 2 (two) settings in Vray - Noise Threshold and Render Time and then I press Render. That's it! Since Vray 3.0 there is no more fiddling with light or material subdivs, irradiance maps and other switches and settings. Out of the box it's as simple as Corona.

Unfortunately, people still perpetuate the myth that Vray is more complicated which is understandable maybe because they stopped using it before version 3.0 came out. Of course, if you are a power user, you have the ability to unlock all the pro settings and fine tune it to the maximum like before version 3.0. I challenge anyone to point me out what exactly is complicated with Vray in the recent versions (or even version 3.0 for that matter which is now more than 3 years old).

Cautiously .. :), it's not myths. Vray -noise Threshold? Maybe only those two settings you know, the rabbit's horn is deeper than you think ..
peace with you. :)