Author Topic: Render Legion and Corona Join Forces with Chaos Group  (Read 87933 times)

2017-08-27, 01:50:40
Reply #105

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This is probably the core of all this frustration, being afraid to loose what we love or see it being swallowed into v-ray.
The "swallowing" part never works; we've seen it too many times. That's why we think that keeping Corona, but contributing to its development, will work best.

Vlado, it's important to understand that all this frustration (or call it hate if you like) comes from strong emotions about something we LOVE... and now being afraid we will loose. It's a natural over-reaction if you feel strongly about something.
You won't be losing it. Also, our intention is to give you even more and better tools to get your job done.

As long as Chaos group let corona live on, in its own way
This was a part of the deal from the very beginning. Do you really think Ondra would have agreed to it otherwise?

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 01:57:43
Reply #106

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
All true, but MANY people here actually used to be truckers. They drove the big ugly truck, struggled with its size, hated rev matching, had leg cramps from heavy clutch.
I'm truly sorry I caused you such pains. It was never my intent. All I've ever wanted is our software to be helpful.

Then they switched to a beautiful EV and life was beautiful, it allowed them to just enjoy the ride, which is all they ever wanted.
Perfect, because things will stay this way.

Being emotional and impulsive many are thinking no way I'm supporting them ever again, I'll rather switch to this, especially not knowing what the future brings, and seeing other mergers like this go south.
I understand and of course you will do whatever makes the most sense to you.

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 02:02:26
Reply #107

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
My thoughts for the day..." Speed rendering of retail has no time to be troubleshooting through a plethora of variables (VRay), that's what I love (d) about Corona"
Why on Earth would we want to take that away from you?

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 02:11:31
Reply #108

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you guys are who decided to use shortcut by destroy your competitor. this is a shortcut for chaos group , not corona team.
Nothing is being destroyed. There are two sides to each deal; it's not like we forced the guys at gunpoint, right? We've had very long discussions together about how to make this work and we are confident that we can make it happen. Corona will continue its development. I know you trust me only as far as you can throw me; it only means that we'll have to work hard to prove it.

Best regards,
Vlado

Thanks for being present on both the CG and Corona forums, Vlado.

It would actually be really interesting to know more details about 'the deal.'  If there was some sort of pre-nup that keeps Corona from being swallowed or squelched (or prices being raised, etc) it would probably put a lot of minds at ease.  It seems like a certain level of independence is key to innovation and growth, even if there is a sharing of ideas and code with them being under the same roof now.  It would be interesting to know if this is built into the agreement (i.e., in writing).

Echoing other users, I was enjoying the competition and the quick turn around on new features.  Corona's Light mix, for example, changed my Arch Viz life.  VRaylightselect didn't become full featured until Corona's light mix came around, and one could assume that with the competition that was happening that a further integration of light select into the VRay VFB wasn't far behind.  The same with VRay's adaptive lights but in reverse. 

Anyway, it's just a wait and see situation now unless more details come out or we see the fruits of the deal.  As a side note, I'm pretty sure the MC from the D2 video is going to show up at my house and break my kneecaps because I posted this...

2017-08-27, 02:21:15
Reply #109

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I don't know why we have so much drama here. Guys, can't you simply relax a bit and change your point of view? Our society is so fucked up lately that is hard to trust our own shadow now....  -.-

Read clearly the messages and all the info you can find on the web!

You think Ondra and Vlado are so stupid to make such an agreement?
You think Ondra sold out his passion, dedication and hard work and he is on a secret island now drinking mojito for the rest of his life?
You think the experience and hard work of Vlado can't be a great contribution for a healthy future of Corona render?
You think Vlado is a serial software killer? Seriously?

Just calm down and start to be positive with all this, there is no need to worry and make all this drama. This agreement is the best thing could happen for the Corona community and all the team. Don't be scared about it... Vray still has a very big number of users worldwide and I don't think killing the Corona engine will bring to them more money or users, don't you think? Would be such a bad and bastard move.
We don't have the rights to know more about the agreement and the reasons behind it but start being positive and trust people's words, passion and sacrifices.

Personally I am sure a new fantastic era started for both engines and we will see some very cool tech stuff in the future.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2017-08-27, 02:26:22
Reply #110

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If there was some sort of pre-nup that keeps Corona from being swallowed or squelched (or prices being raised, etc) it would probably put a lot of minds at ease.
The deal was only possible because we agreed that Corona must continue to be developed independently, as the Corona team decides. We also agreed that Corona's price point is important for its success.

VRaylightselect didn't become full featured until Corona's light mix came around
Actually, Arnold's implementation in version 5 was the more pressing concern :) Also, two large clients really needed it. We still have to do the LPEs too.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure the MC from the D2 video is going to show up at my house and break my kneecaps because I posted this...
That's too cryptic for me but I hope you kneecaps will be fine :)

Best regards,
Vlado
« Last Edit: 2017-08-27, 02:32:54 by vlado »

2017-08-27, 02:30:02
Reply #111

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Vray still has a very big number of users worldwide and I don't think killing the Corona engine will bring to them more money or users
You are not wrong :)

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 02:47:13
Reply #112

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
They said both teams would work on their own projects but for how long until they're swallowed?
Corona will continue to be developed by the Corona team as they decide.

What will happen with the FairSaaS?
It will remain fair.

And don't forget the terrible company that makes the vray conversion for c4d that takes at least months for updates and then puts out a broken version with features not working properly.
That's on us; we were young and inexperienced and we made a mistake. We will not make it again with Corona.

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-08-27, 02:49:06
Reply #113

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If there was some sort of pre-nup that keeps Corona from being swallowed or squelched (or prices being raised, etc) it would probably put a lot of minds at ease.
The deal was only possible because we agreed that Corona must continue to be developed independently, as the Corona team decides. We also agreed that Corona's price point is important for its success.

Good info and not unexpected, just glad to hear.  Maybe it's been said before and I missed it.  I feel like that's kind of the crux of the matter for a lot of us.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure the MC from the D2 video is going to show up at my house and break my kneecaps because I posted this...
That's too cryptic for me but I hope you kneecaps will be fine :)

Hehe, referencing this epic moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlVBsIenzg#t=13m10s.

2017-08-27, 04:46:53
Reply #114

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is a very smart move for both companies.

i think that as users we will benefit a lot, i don't know why do you see vray as an enemy, its a tool like corona and its based on the same principles hard work and passion.

i think that corona will benefit a lot from chaos group support for development, and this will benefit us all

no reason to be afraid or cry

2017-08-27, 06:05:53
Reply #115

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Oh my goodness, so much wailing and gnashing of teeth...I think everyone needs to take it down a notch.

Oh and Vlado, how's that non-motion blurred caustic on motion blurred objects feature request coming along ;-)

2017-08-27, 07:41:28
Reply #116

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Two products and two price points.....of course Corona will be compromised otherwise the business model is screwed. 101 stuff guys. Nonsense that both will follow the same development curve as if they were competitors....there will be forced differentiation or the model is broken. It's painfully patronising to suggest otherwise.

2017-08-27, 07:44:52
Reply #117

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vlado,

Some people are getting very dramatic and I don't know where the sudden hate for Chaos Group comes from, I never heard anything bad about you before this. But a lot of people here came from VRay and would never go back ("It Just Works" should be the Corona slogan), and naturally people are worried. Historically, deals like this rarely turn out good for the company being bought and I think that's where the fear comes from. I think you (as in you and the Corona team) could ease the tension by giving us straight answers. The blog post being referenced is just basically a sales pitch, it doesn't help. I still have a hard time seeing that you'd keep two competing renderers in the long run and that is what's worrying me personally.

When you say "agreed", is this in writing?

matsu wrote:
If I am to be optimistic, we'll see a fusion of the two renderers (Corona's simplicity and foolproofness, with.. whatever benefits vray might add) and that you find in your heart (and wallet) to sell it at a decent price.
If I am to be pessimistic, you'll pick whatever tech Corona has that you miss for Vray, then discontinue Corona completely. Then hike the price of Vray further, since you have all this new and cool features.

... to which you answered:
Let's go with the optimistic version then.

What does that mean? That a fusion is the goal of this deal? What would the benefits be for Corona in that case? Its simplicity is what makes it good.

VRay is a good renderer and it served me well for years, I have nothing against you personally, but I'm not going back to wrestling with render settings in VRay again if you kill off Corona. I'd rather find another alternative altogether. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I think that's what a lot of people here are thinking.

2017-08-27, 08:41:21
Reply #118

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You think Ondra and Vlado are so stupid to make such an agreement?
You think Ondra sold out his passion, dedication and hard work and he is on a secret island now drinking mojito for the rest of his life?
You think the experience and hard work of Vlado can't be a great contribution for a healthy future of Corona render?
You think Vlado is a serial software killer? Seriously?
Because we already see it how was closed splutterfish (brazil r/z) to make new interactive visualizer and where it now after alpha release and several years development? How autodesk buying team and abandon development. That's why we afraid

2017-08-27, 09:42:27
Reply #119

lasse1309

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, guys!

relax :D
collaboration is strong - and can be stronger than (played) competition.
Corona came up one days, yes - and v-ray changed as well since then, also became easier to use.

But does that mean v-ray stagnated during the years they left competition behind and there wa no corona?
NO! They constantly improved as well.

We are using both v-ray and corona in xoio parallely depending on the project and what makes most sense.
Honestly the vision of compatibilty seems very intriguing :D

Don't let the bad ADSK example how it should not work let yourself think it is the right way and give Chaos Group and Render Legion
a chance to show how it should and can work.

Collaboration can set forces free which are bound when "fighting" the other guys.
Only positive things can breed positive outcome.

Vlado and Ondra both are fascinating characters who would not have made it that far without a big chunk of intrinsic motivation.
Those is what fascinates and also makes their products as strong and great as they are.

Be fair, guys.
I hear words like "killing", "destroying", "terminating".
Is that what it is about? We are here to CREATE  - not to destruct.

Love
Lasse