Author Topic: VR Glasses  (Read 3049 times)

2016-11-22, 00:47:36

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

do you have any experience with buying/using vr glasses (with phone) to show off your corona work to clients? (I mean vr panoramas),

From experience:

• Google Cardboard glasses - cheap, nice lenses, very unprofessional, extremly uncomfortable, touch button - needed for vr tours in corona vr
  • cheap plastic glasses (like box vr etc) - bad lenses, bad fov, kinda proffesional, somehow can be used for 10-15 mins, no button
  • more expensive glasses (like zeiss) -nice lenses, nice fov, still no button?

Anybody have some experience?

2016-11-22, 08:39:14
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
With phones it's all a little janky.
First of all you have to know, whether you are interested in Gear VR, it is technically "with phone" as you mentioned and the highest end on the "cheap" VR side, provided you have the phone. No questions there, GearVR beats all Cardboard variants.

As for Cardboard, don't use Google's original design. It's horrible. If you are interested in the cardboard format, made out of cardboard :D , then look for the Knox Lab V2. It is the best under the cardboard designs and has a real touch button. (Original google had a magnet button instead)
One thing was never mentioned with Cardboard vr out of cardboard: Sweat stains. It's a real problem and very unpleasent for clients to give, if there is a forehead shaped sweat stain.

The next one I have experience with is Homido Mini. A very very very small sized pair of VR glasses. It works surprisingly good, but due to it's ultra compact size, it has no Button. As you will see around VR tours of other users on the Forum, this is ususally not a problem, as tour designers like krpano just use "look timers" as ways to go to the next scene. It's also cheap.

With Cardboard solutions like Homido mini and Knoxlab V2, you will never get more than 5mins of "comfortable" usage out of. It is just not that immersive or comfortable in the first place.

The more important part is your phone. I have a 1080p 5.5" Screen. All of these devices are made for screens of 5" to 5.5", and best if you get a 1440p screen, as the resolution bump is very noticable. (like the lg g3 on the cheap side)
You can counteract this, as the good VR apps can adjust for different screen sizes, but the glasses cannot, so it works only to an extent.

These are the two I have experience with and can go into in more detail, as for other solutions, hope you will find some info there.

One more thing.
DO NOT TRUST default settings in ANY VR app with cardboard.
Use this site to decode the QR Code (site only seems to work with long URL, when you read out the QR code yourself) and get the Distortion coefficients and real fov. You can type these values into VR apps, like krpano and it makes stuff SO MUCH better. Just don't trust shotty presets.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-11-22, 15:02:49
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
GearVR is the best in terms of using a phone. There is the upcoming Google Daydream, to replace Cardboard, but I personally can't speak to that as haven't tested it as yet but it should offer a better user experience than Cardboard. It will be supported in CoronaVR.

CoronaVR works on GearVR and Android at the moment (although Corona can render for delivery in any app that supports spherical or cube map images). One thing to note about CoronaVR is that you can build your warps right inside 3ds Max now with the CVrWarp object - will have a new blog post about that soon, but you can see the video already on the info page about CoronaVR at:
corona-renderer.com/vr/

You can catch up on the previous 2 blogs at:
https://corona-renderer.com/blog/introducing-corona-vr/
https://corona-renderer.com/blog/corona-vr-android-release-and-other-updates/

And to sign up for the CoronaVR beta:
http://corona.theconstruct.tech/

Hope something here helps!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-11-22, 20:04:10
Reply #3

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your opinion!

@SairesArt
I know using phone+glasses is not high end vr experience, but what i have in mind is going
to empty flat with client and showing him virtual reality :) "on the go",
I am not talking about spending hours on my coach in different reality :)

GearVR is very good and have acceptable cost/quality ratio but works only with samsung phones,
which I dont own and cannot stand...

Must wait for Google Daydreamers then :)