General Category > Hardware

Computer spec 7950X with 192 of RAM?

(1/1)

zivmil:
Hi friends, I was asked to put together a computer specification for the studio to work with Max and Preview Render with Corona. For final render i send to the render farm.
It is important that the computer has more than 64 GB of memory... 64 is not enough for most of our Renders.
I would love to know if the specifications I assembled can fit.
There is already a power supply and case, so I don't need it, but I'm debating which cooling is suitable for the processor.
Thanks for any help

Addlink SSD 1.0TB S95 M.2 2280 NVMe
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X AM5 Box
Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070Ti GV-N407TGAMING
Corsair DDR 5 192G (48Gx4) 5200 CL38 Vengeance RGB

Juraj:
Since 48GB DIMMs are very recent, there will be almost no one to tell you if it works or not. It technically should, but there are possible complications:

1) bios recognition, check if your chosen motherboard had recent bios update offered on website, and if it perhaps mentions support for the new module size.
2) mainstream platforms, particularly AMD, does struggle with lot of memory. Even 128GB seems to be hard to run at XMP profile, so be prepared for manual settings if the system won't boot or run stable at 5200 CL18. You might need to lower it to 4800 CL38 or less.

Anyway, I am definitely interested in your experience, 48GB DDR5 DIMMs are fantastic thing, even small 2-dimm ITX boards can now have 96GB ram. So let us know how it goes.

Jpjapers:

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2023-05-04, 15:40:57 --- even small 2-dimm ITX boards can now have 96GB ram. So let us know how it goes.

--- End quote ---

well damn i hadnt even considered this!
Small form factor travel-ready render PC can be a reality!

Juraj:
Exactly! My current "mobile-PC" I built is based on Cerberus-X which houses ATX board since I needed 4-DIMMs. Technically I could have used m-ATX but almost none exist and 99perc. of SFFPC cases are Mini-ITX or few ATX/E-ATX ones.

With 2 DIMMs, those Mini-ITX SFFPC cases are finally doable even for professional mobile workstation. Ideally the flat&thin "console" style (like Fractal Ridge) since those are easier to put into backpack, rather than the "Sandwich" ones which are smaller but thick like a brick. But cooling is still a bit issue for CPU there.

The thing is, the laptops are very close in performance to these PCs now, just 5 times louder :- ). But still much more practical for travel. (though not for dollar value and upgradeability).

Jpjapers:

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2023-05-04, 21:02:07 ---Exactly! My current "mobile-PC" I built is based on Cerberus-X which houses ATX board since I needed 4-DIMMs. Technically I could have used m-ATX but almost none exist and 99perc. of SFFPC cases are Mini-ITX or few ATX/E-ATX ones.

With 2 DIMMs, those Mini-ITX SFFPC cases are finally doable even for professional mobile workstation. Ideally the flat&thin "console" style (like Fractal Ridge) since those are easier to put into backpack, rather than the "Sandwich" ones which are smaller but thick like a brick. But cooling is still a bit issue for CPU there.

The thing is, the laptops are very close in performance to these PCs now, just 5 times louder :- ). But still much more practical for travel. (though not for dollar value and upgradeability).

--- End quote ---

Ive been tempted a few times by a workstation laptop but i like the idea of upgradeability or at least being able to potentially take parts from my main workstation like GPU, RAM and storage, and put them into a portable PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version