Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Resolved Feature Requests

Dirt map?

(1/4) > >>

spawn5891:
I've been playing with corona for the past couple of months. I'm sure that it's going to be one of the best render engines in it's class. I have some topics that i'm not very happy with...but the most important is that every cristal clear render done in corona is soooo clean...too clean :). Don't get me wrong...it's a good thing...but some times i find myself trying to use a vray dirt map for occlusions and ruffing up the render. It's something that can be done in post production sometimes...but it would be a very very VERY usefull thing to have in the material options. Is there a way to obtain this effect allready and i'm wasting my keyboard here? :D

Thx corona forum...

Ludvik Koutny:
In the history of rendering, dirt map was also often called ambient occlusion map. An universal short "AO" was often used for it. May that be your guide.

spawn5891:
AO is very usefull as an plane intersection solution (wall and ceeling for exemple) but what about situations like this one? ( floor and kitchen island touching area ) I feel like ao pass is just not enough :)
Thx

http://www.3dmacher.com/daten/forum/3.jpg 

maru:
I'm 90% sure in the picture you showed there is no AO/dirt map/whatever you call it used. The effect of corners and thin gaps being darker than the surrounding environment is natural and should be provided by GI only. Using AO in such situations is adding fake additional darkness to those areas.

Ondra:

--- Quote from: spawn5891 on 2013-12-05, 11:03:01 ---AO is very usefull as an plane intersection solution (wall and ceeling for exemple) but what about situations like this one? ( floor and kitchen island touching area ) I feel like ao pass is just not enough :)
Thx

http://www.3dmacher.com/daten/forum/3.jpg

--- End quote ---

To get darker corners you need to decrease albedos of the materials and compensate the overall brightness with exposure. One typical error people keep doing again and again is setting albedos too high to compensate for not using linear workflow. This will not only increase significantly your render time, but also wash away all the little shadows in corners. AO should be only used to create custom shaders simulating dirt/wear&tear look, not to set up lighting of the scene in any way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version