Author Topic: Need to restart for every render  (Read 1067 times)

2023-12-18, 11:26:43

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mac Studio Ultra m1
Latest versions of everything incl. latest C4D.

Since recently I have to restart my system in between every render. System stalls almost immediately at parcing scene. I thought it was because of the huge size of my scene (3,5Gb). But even smaller files have the same problem.

2023-12-18, 12:13:09
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, can you share a screen recording of this at all?
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-12-19, 01:47:13
Reply #2

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No use to record it. It just goes like this. I start a render and it takes about a minute after parcing the scene before displacement is beginning to run and after about another minute or so the render starts with GI and first pixels. I render the image to a few passes or more. Make a few changes or a new camera and start again, click render and CR shows it started parcing the scene but then stalls, need to force quit (shows C4D is not responding). Then I restart and things are back to normal.
I can't start two scenes after one another without restarting, sometimes just C4D other times the system. I can test again next week with smaller files. But for now I need to get the project done before the end of the week.
Attachement is an example of what I am working on right now. Lots of Chaos Scatters. (The grass in the foreground, the trees, plants everything really). The masonry is displaced in two different depths. Very sensitive on the direction of normals btw. Had to manually adjust a lot of geometry to get it to work. The sky is great, I hardly ever use hdri's anymore although in this particular image the clouds look a bit off because of the wide angle at 16 mm.
« Last Edit: 2023-12-19, 02:24:23 by frv »

2023-12-19, 16:21:00
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you sure that you are not running out of RAM? Perhaps you could try troubleshooting one by one: try applying an override material to the whole scene, disable displacement, maybe hide some objects, and then turn those options back on one by one.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-12-20, 02:03:30
Reply #4

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have 128Gb. But I do think it's about RAM. Zoomed in (camera clipping) and all is fine. The more vegetation the more restarting. But I am used to swap memory issues and slower render times without the restart issue. Normally after a render I could just start a new one even when the message occurred that memory was low. The message no longer pops up btw.