Author Topic: [SOLVED] Extreme mouse lag on a new Ryzen system  (Read 2979 times)

2022-07-28, 16:46:58

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I know this is not the right forum to seek help for this kind of issue, but it's the only community i'm active and i can't seem to solve it on my own - i've been batling all day with little success.

So i've built myself new computer and i'm having horrible experience with it so far. The build is - Asus B550-F gaming, Ryzen 5950X, nvme for system drive. First issue was that windows 10 couldn't find network adapter driver and i had to download drivers with my old pc. I downloaded bunch of drivers from MB support page and installed them all, just in case and immediatelly mouse freezes has started. After some googling i think it can be related to Windows power plan. I changed it from balanced to high performance and indeed situation became better. It still freezes alot, to the level it's not workable, but at least those are not complete freezes - with balanced plan mouse became completely non responding in a matter of minutes after restart. I didn't change anything in BIOS, except for setting XMP DOCP for the RAM. I'm thinking about reinstalling Windows and not touching any drivers again from Asus, but i'm not sure if that's good idea and maybe there's better solution? Any help would be very appreciate.

Maybe i should've stick to Intel :/
« Last Edit: 2022-07-28, 21:43:31 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-07-28, 17:44:34
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Haven't quite encountered that issue yet but I think I recall some folks having somewhat similar issues and it was due to their mouse having a super high polling rate. Can you try to see if lowering it helps?

And if its of any help, I've got weird issues on both my Intel as well as AMD systems. I mostly blame it on Windows :D
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-07-28, 18:07:36
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I didn't get mouse lag from a super high polling rate (wireless mouse, USB receiver), but I did get laggy window dragging in 3ds Max. Not sure that is CPU related though (3960X here), could equally be Windows, or the mouse drivers.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-07-28, 18:46:42
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks for the suggestions. I doubt it's polling rate, since it's only 125 Hz and its' fixed anyway. As for the drivers, i'll try to see if manufacturer offers specific drivers for this model. It's an old mouse from my previous system and it worked flawlessly with Windows drivers before, so i don't have much hope here either.

2022-07-28, 21:43:10
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it was Windows issue (as always!). I installed all Windows updates and the issue is gone! Evrything runs smoothly... for now. Thanks for the help guys!

2022-07-29, 13:52:28
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Great that it's fixed and now you can enjoy the new machine!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-07-29, 20:00:03
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Haha, i'm sure i will. Already ran Corona benchmark, can't wait when all the files and programs will be moved from old PC and i can give it a proper run in Corona. Working for 9 years on old pc has one benefit - the performance improvement in the new pc feels insane :]

2022-07-29, 21:44:42
Reply #7

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haha, i'm sure i will. Already ran Corona benchmark, can't wait when all the files and programs will be moved from old PC and i can give it a proper run in Corona. Working for 9 years on old pc has one benefit - the performance improvement in the new pc feels insane :]
my sincere congratulations, I upgraded the hardware myself a week ago, understanding you very well :D

2022-07-31, 09:19:39
Reply #8

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
This is a long shot, but worth mentioning:

I have a similar issue with my wireless keyboard.

Works fine almost all the time but if I plug too many USB ports in (usually an additional external HD) the keyboard lags like hell.

I have a beast of a machine but this is one issue I cannot seem to alleviate.

Good luck mate.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-07-31, 16:36:11
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, that sounds a bit worrying, i use wireless mice for years without issues and i'm thinking about switching to wireless keyboard too, since my workspace got quite cramped. I hope it's not a common issue with wireless peripherals.

2022-07-31, 16:57:55
Reply #10

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it has to do with USB interference, because every usb port emits a radio signal which can interfere with other USB devices or wireless/bluetooth adapters in close proximity, and this often happens for the back ports that are quite cramped.
It's not the end of the world, and I have been using wireless devices for years without any problems. It's just that sometimes you may experience some lag when accessing an external USB hard drive, or cutoffs if you're using a wireless headset, so you may need to use a different usb port, or a USB extender cable.

As for the lags experienced on your new Ryzen system (congratulations by the way!), I can speak from experience that AMD processors have matured immensely since their first launch and any problems now are probably due to other factors. I have been using two 3970x systems for 1-2 years now and have had close to zero problems.

2022-08-01, 14:53:31
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
As for the lags experienced on your new Ryzen system (congratulations by the way!), I can speak from experience that AMD processors have matured immensely since their first launch and any problems now are probably due to other factors. I have been using two 3970x systems for 1-2 years now and have had close to zero problems.

Yes, everything's running very smoothly so far. There's always needs to be some stress when you move from old cozy environment that built and fine-tuned over the years, but the trouble is worth it - i feel so much more productive now :]

2022-08-01, 21:02:31
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think it has to do with USB interference,

Signal interference is big issue with those shitty wireless Unified receivers that Logitech uses. It's really best to baby-sit it into good position, even if it means having extender cable if you're connecting to port behind PC :- ).
Goes without saying, that if you use multiple Logitech products (wireless keyboard and mouse), add them to single receiver through the app.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-08-02, 20:35:51
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I usually plug it in the front panel with almost direct line of sight, so no issues with that, but i'll keep that info in mind in case i'll run in some strange behaviour again.

Today i noticed strange discrepancy in CPU temps, is it normal that max CCD#0 and CCD#1 temperature differs by more than 20 degrees? To be honest, i don't even know what this is, but it seems to me that their temps should be roughly equal. Does that mean that i did lousy job with applying thermal paste, or is it so called silicone lottery?

2022-08-03, 11:04:15
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's common and to big degree expected. Some reasons:

1) Different silicon quality of CCD (Core-Complex Die). 5950X is flagship CPU, but there can still be different binning.
2) One is currently being loaded more. (and may contain the higher frequency reaching cores that Windows will prefer to load primarily).
3) The heatspreader/cooler contact isn't evenly flat (almost never is).

Is the difference also as stark when you load all cores equally during Corona rendering?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-08-03, 12:16:17
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks for the explanation Juraj! That screenshot was taken with HWmonitor after about half hour of rendering with Corona. I tried to do some research on the internet and it seems that many people thinks that HWmonitor might be outdated/buggy and it's recommended to use HWinfo64 instead. So the latter program shows that max difference between CCD0 and CCD1 is about 10 degrees and the average difference is only 3 degrees celsius. Combined that with what you said, i think it looks pretty normal and i shouldn't stress about it too much. Am i right?