Author Topic: Struggling with brushed brass material  (Read 1168 times)

2022-04-02, 20:22:53

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to achieve a brushed brass effect (see attached) on a large surface (a fireplace) and I am finding it very challenging.

I have tried the various Corona materials library presets, CoronaPhysical materials presets and Siger shaders presets without much success.

I think the difficulty comes with the fact that what looks good on a small rounded piece does not look good on a large, flat surface.

Could anyone kindly recommend some settings?

Thank you

2022-04-05, 00:50:49
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What do your current attempts look like?

Also do you have a large scale photographed precedent image you are trying to replicate?

With these two things I can give you some feedback, but otherwise, it's to broad of an ask to give any meaningful help.

2022-04-05, 05:10:37
Reply #2

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for you reply.

I do not have anything to show I am afraid because I have not saced my attempts. I was not happy with them.

This is what I have been sent by the designer for inspiration(see attached. do interiors). Something not too reflective, quite dull and dark yet with a brushed effect.

2022-04-05, 10:42:40
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If it's mostly flat surfaces then you're going to need to model some of the environment that you can't see in camera.  Metal is mostly about reflections.  The curved stuff looks better because it catches highlights etc.

Example attached, the flat surfaces don't look anywhere near as metallic as the curved pieces on the image where the fireplace is isolated.  On the other image the flatter surfaces come to life a bit more as it reflects its environment.

Presets are good as a starting point, but ultimately they're useless if you don't have fundamental knowledge of building them from scratch or how certain shaders interact with their environments.

2022-04-05, 12:06:57
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

There are some brushed brass matrials in the Corona material library. Maybe that could be a good place to start.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-04-06, 01:35:08
Reply #5

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you.

I did mention that I have tried them. I got something that will do the job by tweaking some preset but this was hard wrok for some reason.