Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 149565 times)

2021-08-13, 23:43:39
Reply #60

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
@maru Is there something that can be done about this? The thread @EugeneDa pointed to basically concluded on a normal map tangent space discrepancy.

2021-08-16, 07:56:25
Reply #61

mvshabeer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I see decals in development!! Is the idea same as decals in unreal engine?

2021-08-16, 15:47:32
Reply #62

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@maru Is there something that can be done about this? The thread @EugeneDa pointed to basically concluded on a normal map tangent space discrepancy.

It's reported for our devs to investigate. Sorry, but right now I do not have any instant answer for you.
I think it might be working different in V-Ray because they are two different renderers. I think all path tracers like Corona need some kind of workaround for low-poly shading to look better (like our terminator shift).
But we will see if we can improve this, or if there is some good technical explanation, or a workaround.

(Report ID=CRMAX-897)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-17, 20:02:30
Reply #63

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Dumb question, but Corona Renderer 7 ships with ~20-50% increased rendering speed in a number of scenarios, I'm wondering how much faster can Corona Renderer really go (on the software side) at this point?

2021-08-17, 20:24:14
Reply #64

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Dumb question, but Corona Renderer 7 ships with ~20-50% increased rendering speed in a number of scenarios, I'm wondering how much faster can Corona Renderer really go (on the software side) at this point?

Nobody knows :) There's always new research on new algorithms, and no-one knows what those might be until they are discovered/created/completed, and nobody knows what speed increase it brings until it is put into practice. Rendering has been going at least since the 80s, and here we are still finding new ways to make significant speed increases, so who knows how much faster things can get?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-08-17, 21:08:11
Reply #65

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I sort of assume that the dev team is *always* looking for ways to increase rendering speeds for Corona Renderer, but there is a lot on their plate at the moment - especially with tonemapping on the docket, etc. - so I assume rendering speed gets deprioritized from time to time, as development goes.

Is it fair to say that there is a particular feature(s) that is really at the core of the dev team's focus for Corona Renderer 8?

2021-08-17, 21:56:19
Reply #66

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The roadmap is the source of all information we can share about what is going to be in 8:
https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-08-17, 22:32:21
Reply #67

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I sort of assume that the dev team is *always* looking for ways to increase rendering speeds for Corona Renderer, but there is a lot on their plate at the moment - especially with tonemapping on the docket, etc. - so I assume rendering speed gets deprioritized from time to time, as development goes.

Is it fair to say that there is a particular feature(s) that is really at the core of the dev team's focus for Corona Renderer 8?

Ive wondered the same thing on occasion. I would hope that speed increases are sometimes lower down the list than new features that make artists lives easier or increase productivity. The amount of time that passes between major versions of corona isnt enough for there to be much significant increase in hardware capability except by throwing more processor cores at it *Coughs in AMD* so all of the speed improvements are going to need to be through grinding away at the codebase which i imagine takes alot of dev time. Features that reduce the complexity of scene setup (decals being one of them) are always great too and im excited to see what comes of that.

Id personally rather see a new feature that makes another area of the production process easier and faster and more flexible so maybe the speed increase isnt as necessary. Like lightmix layers for textures and materials. A small speed increase wouldn't matter there because if you only have to render once to be able to get multiple versions of a render, you're saving time by not having to render over and over again. Theres your speed increase. Same goes for decals. Using complex layered materials is incredibly slow and from my experience drastically affects viewport performance. so the decal system will provide a secondary speed increase in that part of the pipe just by existing.

In my opinion id love to see users stop focussing on and voting for increasing the speed of rendering and start recognising at the bigger picture of the volume and flexibility of work we can produce with the tools available or with with one click of the render button.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-17, 22:42:37 by Jpjapers »

2021-08-21, 01:07:03
Reply #68

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
It's reported for our devs to investigate. Sorry, but right now I do not have any instant answer for you.
I think it might be working different in V-Ray because they are two different renderers. I think all path tracers like Corona need some kind of workaround for low-poly shading to look better (like our terminator shift).
But we will see if we can improve this, or if there is some good technical explanation, or a workaround.

(Report ID=CRMAX-897)

Hey @Maru, not inquiring about a solution, per se, but just curious what exactly is the issue in this case and how it relates to normal map shading - just trying to understand the issue in more detail. I've had issues with Corona Renderer and low poly shading from day 1, particularly as it pertains to normal map shading of low poly objects, mismatched tangent basis, etc. (the linked posted from EugeneDa contains more illustrative examples).

2021-08-27, 15:21:33
Reply #69

lzanlorenzi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys!
any possibility to create a CoronaToonMat or a compatibility with VrayToon? I believe this will be a good approach to keep the Corona renderer more artistic for Archviz or animations.

Thanks for all your hard work. Awesome!!!

2021-08-29, 15:09:06
Reply #70

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello everyone.

When I change the roughness parameters greater than zero with overriding enabled, a single map environment starts to appear. Please take a look at the screenshot! 😉

CoronaRenderer 7hotfix1 | 3dsmax 2021.3

2021-08-29, 19:01:08
Reply #71

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.

When I change the roughness parameters greater than zero with overriding enabled, a single map environment starts to appear. Please take a look at the screenshot! 😉

CoronaRenderer 7hotfix1 | 3dsmax 2021.3
I believe this was always the case - lighting and reflection can not be totally separated so that the material reflects only the override map. there will always be some contribution to reflection from the map used for lighting.

2021-08-30, 09:25:29
Reply #72

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
I believe this was always the case - lighting and reflection can not be totally separated so that the material reflects only the override map. there will always be some contribution to reflection from the map used for lighting.

2021-08-30, 10:30:53
Reply #73

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@EugeneDa - I can see that your reports are very specific and detailed, which is great, but it seems some of them are not really related to Corona 8.
Instead of posting in this thread, could you please report the issues you find as separate forum threads in the Bug Reporting forum section? (link: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?board=2.0 )
Thank you in advance.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-09-05, 15:35:01
Reply #74

junchien

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some of the content of the voting and attention in the forum will cause the development team to fall into a kind of bondage because some voters do not understand the logic itself. I feel that the internal discussions you said will be easier to achieve a goal and give the development team a sense of recognition. , This is helpful for future things; I want to ask a stupid question. I am very excited to see the improvement of CR7.0's proxy reading speed. The capable developers of the development team will consider optimizing the viewport operation corona Is the agent's display mode mechanism? (The same proxy display mode of CR VR, the model with the same number of faces, will have a 10%-15% difference in FPS) When I frequently use models with a high number of faces, I can clearly feel the subtle difference with Vray5.0, maybe I am stupid and don’t know what’s going on behind this, but it will be very helpful for some huge scenes that require details. What I want to say is similar to UE5’s "nanite" to relieve scene pressure and release More creative possibilities, maybe my expression is very confusing, this is just an expectation brought by my long-term use of Corona