Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 149478 times)

2021-08-04, 15:22:28
Reply #45

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We tried, but the thing is that no matter how much we stress it, some people just cannot read. We just cannot announce "we would like to try these things for v8" becasue of this :/. Still even after something is on shortlist the continuing demand may play a role if we need to make a decision what to boot from the next release, so dont hesitate to support your favorite feature.

That makes sense and it is a shame. What i mean was more like maintaining the existing list of potential future ideas without saying what is coming and when. Just keep everything in that so at least people can see that its on your teams radar as an idea.  Maybe even a locked thread in the feature requests board so people know to check that first to see if someone else has posted an idea and youre already considering it.

Plus surprises are always nice :)

If i could vote decals three times i would :D Though the lightmix for materials would be an absolute game changer given no other renderer has the feature. It would almost certainly corner the interiors market. I imagine that would be a huge undertaking though.

2021-08-04, 18:58:17
Reply #46

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

There might or might not be something done, but sadly because some of the users cannot understand that a feature might get postponed when unexpected complications occur, we will generally announce only features that are fully done ;)

Very much looking forward to heavily beta testing it if it makes it into the dailies. Ive got such a need for this over the next few months and currently im having to make gigantic layered materials.

Agree. Decals look like they could be a big time saver. I'm also dealing wit huge layered materials and having to do some repeating patterns on a rug in Photoshop, and hoping they will fit just right when on the fabric.

2021-08-04, 22:36:52
Reply #47

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Agree. Decals look like they could be a big time saver. I'm also dealing wit huge layered materials and having to do some repeating patterns on a rug in Photoshop, and hoping they will fit just right when on the fabric.

Huge time saver. Adding seams to fabric is going to be fantastic. Adding dirt and grime and imperfection too. Painted signage, window graphics, stickers etc. The possibilities are endless and its one of those features that just means the tools dont get in the way of the creativity.

@Ondra it would be amazing if decals could also be used to purely displace the underlying material (for seams on fabric, injection moulding marks and logos for product viz, embossed surfaces etc)
« Last Edit: 2021-08-04, 22:57:13 by Jpjapers »

2021-08-05, 10:19:50
Reply #48

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-08-05, 18:58:22
Reply #49

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity, will the include\exclude on caustics include\exclude objects from calculation and thus speed things up?  Or is it more of a mask where all elements are still calculated but only certain elements show the caustics pass?  Basically just wondering if it will impact speed.

Thanks!

2021-08-06, 13:19:06
Reply #50

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
+1 for decals.
I've been waiting for so long to able to add details ontop of the materials with ease, without setting up 101 material layers

There might or might not be something done, but sadly because some of the users cannot understand that a feature might get postponed when unexpected complications occur, we will generally announce only features that are fully done ;)

Very much looking forward to heavily beta testing it if it makes it into the dailies. Ive got such a need for this over the next few months and currently im having to make gigantic layered materials.

Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2021-08-06, 14:24:32
Reply #51

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity, will the include\exclude on caustics include\exclude objects from calculation and thus speed things up?  Or is it more of a mask where all elements are still calculated but only certain elements show the caustics pass?  Basically just wondering if it will impact speed.

Thanks!

The idea is something like "you can now disable receiving caustics from this specific water surface on this specific wall". I guess it should also make rendering faster in most cases, but I am not 100% sure, so will find out and let you know.

Update: yes, it should speed things up.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-06, 14:55:53 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-06, 16:53:32
Reply #52

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed on the trello a mention of a curvature map. Would this just be a native equivalent to using the data channel to generate the vertex colour map?

2021-08-06, 17:01:23
Reply #53

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I noticed on the trello a mention of a curvature map. Would this just be a native equivalent to using the data channel to generate the vertex colour map?

It will be a Corona feature just like Corona AO.

2021-08-06, 17:09:45
Reply #54

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It will be a Corona feature just like Corona AO.

Sorry yes thats what i meant but would it fulfil the same purpose as i described above? i.e. would you be able to derive different channels from the single map as in concave/convex?

2021-08-07, 04:11:12
Reply #55

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks!

The idea is something like "you can now disable receiving caustics from this specific water surface on this specific wall". I guess it should also make rendering faster in most cases, but I am not 100% sure, so will find out and let you know.

Update: yes, it should speed things up.

That’s exciting :) thanks for the update!

2021-08-10, 08:16:45
Reply #56

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello everyone.

The shadow shifts on low poly objects. This is very noticeable on tree branches, on sofas and when the normal map is used. The normal map begins to work aggressively in places with bends and a low number of polygons. A black outline appears on the branches of trees. It is clearly visible on Megascans models, an example is provided by the user cjwidd in this topic https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31748.15. Changing the Shadow shift value to 0.5 partially solves this problem, but then we get grid artifacts. I made some examples with captions and comparisons

corona-8-3dsmax-daily-2021-07-28 | 3dsmax 2021.3

2021-08-10, 11:50:18
Reply #57

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.

The shadow shifts on low poly objects. This is very noticeable on tree branches, on sofas and when the normal map is used. The normal map begins to work aggressively in places with bends and a low number of polygons. A black outline appears on the branches of trees. It is clearly visible on Megascans models, an example is provided by the user cjwidd in this topic https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31748.15. Changing the Shadow shift value to 0.5 partially solves this problem, but then we get grid artifacts. I made some examples with captions and comparisons

Hi, is this in any way related to Corona 8? Is it any different in Corona 7, 6, or older?

As you correctly noted, we do this to get rid of the sharp blocky shadows on low poly geometry.
When this feature is off - the blocky shadows will be visible.
When this feature is on - the blocky shadows will not be visible, but the shading will be slightly different.

The assumption is that the shading difference is not noticeable in most cases, and its drawbacks are less important than the sharp blocky shadows. One thing I can recommend is not using low-poly objects. This generally isn't a good idea since they are not realistic.

Is this any different in other renderers?

2021-08-10, 12:25:27
Reply #58

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello everyone.

Hi, is this in any way related to Corona 8? Is it any different in Corona 7, 6, or older?

As you correctly noted, we do this to get rid of the sharp blocky shadows on low poly geometry.
When this feature is off - the blocky shadows will be visible.
When this feature is on - the blocky shadows will not be visible, but the shading will be slightly different.

The assumption is that the shading difference is not noticeable in most cases, and its drawbacks are less important than the sharp blocky shadows. One thing I can recommend is not using low-poly objects. This generally isn't a good idea since they are not realistic.

Is this any different in other renderers?

If you carefully look at the image that I attached, you will see that I showed how it works in v-ray. Plus, for v-ray, the strength of the normal bump map does not depend on the shape of the mesh ;)
« Last Edit: 2021-08-10, 14:23:14 by EugeneDa »

2021-08-13, 16:31:21
Reply #59

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We will look into this.