Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 26813 times)

2021-07-21, 18:01:21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max daily builds discussion.

*You can always get the newest daily build in the usual location: [link]*

2021-07-21, 18:49:17
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

Soon

image.png
Rendering is magic.
Private scene uploader | How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-07-21, 19:52:59
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it's a record, new features just couple hours after release of final version! :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-07-21, 21:27:30
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There are usually some features being developed for further releases at the end of one cycle, this is definitely not the first time ;).

This time the timing was just right, if this was finished before the release, I would intentionally not publish it, because it would confuse people looking for this in v7
Rendering is magic.
Private scene uploader | How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-07-22, 10:50:14
Reply #4

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Ondra can I put in a request while you're working on multimap? Can you please put a checkbox next to each map. This way we can load in all the maps we want, but easily disable them temporarily if needed (which is often, when testing, for which the primary colours assigned to each map are really helpful). Cheers.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-07-22, 11:09:10
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
+1 for checkboxes.

2021-07-22, 11:12:33
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same here, for consistency, these materials and maps don't have any while all the others do:
- materials: rayswitch material, shadow catcher
- maps: multimap, rayswitch

2021-07-22, 11:18:06
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Can you please put a checkbox next to each map.

Yes please, this.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2021-07-22, 13:56:38
Reply #8

PauloRosario

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please, batch loader for corona select map.

2021-07-22, 15:47:33
Reply #9

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good work on getting the release out on V7.  I've just read the blog post and it says all 2.5D displacement issues have been fixed.  I've not had chance to test this with the official version, but did my issue in this thread get fixed https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=30877.540 the last response I had (Reply #541, Page 37) was just to provide a workaround and then as far as I can see, nothing else happened with it?

2021-07-22, 16:35:04
Reply #10

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Good work on getting the release out on V7.  I've just read the blog post and it says all 2.5D displacement issues have been fixed.  I've not had chance to test this with the official version, but did my issue in this thread get fixed https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=30877.540 the last response I had (Reply #541, Page 37) was just to provide a workaround and then as far as I can see, nothing else happened with it?
Hi,

The niche case you highlighted is not resolved by any changes in 7 and you should continue to use the workaround in the meantime. On our side, we'll continue to investigate what can be done to improve this rare situation in future versions.

Thanks,

Rowan

Please read this before reporting bugs:
How to report issues to us!

2021-07-22, 17:04:57
Reply #11

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it's absolutely a subdivision based issue.  I managed to minimize it by adding a single horizontal edge loop if that helps.  However as I've mentioned previously, subdivision isn't always ideal, especially the modifier when used with CoronaWires for clays.  But everything else is looking really good in V7.  Good work.

2021-07-22, 17:05:54
Reply #12

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And for what it's worth, I don't think it's a niche case haha, it's a flat piece of geo with displacement on :)

2021-07-22, 17:25:17
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can we get some info on the Decals?
How will they work or is it too early to tell?
They are an object you apply a material with opacity mask to, that is it. No additional setup necessary
Rendering is magic.

2021-07-22, 17:37:47
Reply #14

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Majority of Corona Material Library still uses the Legacy shader, can we expect updates for these materials to the Physical shader in RC8 v8?

Where it makes sense, it would be nice if UVWR maps in the Corona Material Library were linked with a bezier controller in RC8 v8(?)

EDIT: v8
« Last Edit: 2021-07-23, 01:37:39 by cjwidd »

2021-07-22, 19:47:59
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, are you aware that V7 is out? There won't be no more release candidates.

2021-07-23, 01:36:44
Reply #16

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Sry, the terminology I used was incorrect - I am referring to version 8, the upcoming version for which this thread is dedicated. Same questions^

2021-07-23, 08:32:10
Reply #17

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The materials will be updated over the coming versions, due to the amount of materials it wasn't possible to do them all for v7.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-07-29, 11:58:46
Reply #18

ArchSpideR

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello. conversion error.

2021-07-29, 12:01:48
Reply #19

ArchSpideR

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-07-29, 14:00:01
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
hello. conversion error.

You are probably using V-Ray 3 or older. You need V-Ray 4 or newer. We are working on some improvements to make it work with older V-Ray versions too, so stay tuned!
The solution for now is just downloading and installing V-Ray 4 or newer. You don't need a license. It only has to be installed.

2021-07-31, 23:03:21
Reply #21

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone jumped onto v7 for live projects yet?
How are you finding the changes, specifically the changes to the material workflow?
Im on a long term project at the moment so dont want much downtime from having top get to grips with the new shader. Have you found yourself needing to do anything drastically differently?

2021-07-31, 23:52:53
Reply #22

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
It took a minute to get used to thinking about the shader mapping metalness directly in a metal-rough workflow; I'm so used to mapping reflection color / fIOR. The sheen also presents a sort of challenge if you are used to thinking about fabric shading in terms of falloff maps, etc; I'm not totally sold on sheen, but it can be pretty powerful if you map the sheen amount directly.

2021-08-01, 00:24:15
Reply #23

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It took a minute to get used to thinking about the shader mapping metalness directly in a metal-rough workflow; I'm so used to mapping reflection color / fIOR. The sheen also presents a sort of challenge if you are used to thinking about fabric shading in terms of falloff maps, etc; I'm not totally sold on sheen, but it can be pretty powerful if you map the sheen amount directly.

These are precisely my worries about switching during production. It seems like a completely different approach to the way you think about materials. Its annoying to be unable to have two versions installed within max without a workaround.

2021-08-01, 00:43:34
Reply #24

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Legacy shader is still supported though, so you don't have to implement physical shader in your workflow, yet, if you don't want to. Siger is still using legacy shader too.

2021-08-02, 15:59:16
Reply #25

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Legacy shader is still supported though, so you don't have to implement physical shader in your workflow, yet, if you don't want to. Siger is still using legacy shader too.

Oh i know yeah its still there for now. I just dont want to switch because mid production its usually a stupid idea!
Im looking forward to trying it out alot!

2021-08-02, 21:56:30
Reply #26

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can we get some info on the Decals?
How will they work or is it too early to tell?
They are an object you apply a material with opacity mask to, that is it. No additional setup necessary

I have to admit the last time I was this excited for a feature was lightmix. This will improve the ease of use and quality of images so much

2021-08-02, 23:50:18
Reply #27

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
wait, what about decals? Was this added already, how did I miss that?

2021-08-03, 00:35:56
Reply #28

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I thought it was just me!

2021-08-03, 01:07:31
Reply #29

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone jumped onto v7 for live projects yet?
How are you finding the changes, specifically the changes to the material workflow?
Im on a long term project at the moment so dont want much downtime from having top get to grips with the new shader. Have you found yourself needing to do anything drastically differently?

I had the same impression on new material workflow but it turned out just fine, materials saved in v6 work as they should though. In ongoing project I left most legacy materials untouched but I changed some of them to physical material just to try them out. I enjoy roughness workflow a lot and corona physical is becoming my material of choice. Great thing is now I can finally use old roughness maps as designed. 

2021-08-03, 01:22:49
Reply #30

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Great thing is now I can finally use old roughness maps as designed.

Just want to echo this - it's really nice not having to invert maps for glossiness, especially with the invert vs. curves invert issues that was present awhile back; not sure if it's been corrected.

2021-08-03, 10:57:28
Reply #31

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There might or might not be something done, but sadly because some of the users cannot understand that a feature might get postponed when unexpected complications occur, we will generally announce only features that are fully done ;)
Rendering is magic.

2021-08-03, 11:16:06
Reply #32

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Great thing is now I can finally use old roughness maps as designed.

Just want to echo this - it's really nice not having to invert maps for glossiness, especially with the invert vs. curves invert issues that was present awhile back; not sure if it's been corrected.

Hmm, i didn't notice any difference - expand advanced rollout in material, change roughness/glossines mode and contract the rollout, takes about the same time as expand output rollout in bitmap, check inverted and contract the rollout. It's a bit different if you have predominantly one type of microsurface maps and set your defaults accordingly, but i think that most 3ds Max users has mixed amount of roughness and glossiness maps.

2021-08-03, 18:24:19
Reply #33

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Hmm, i didn't notice any difference - expand advanced rollout in material, change roughness/glossines mode and contract the rollout, takes about the same time as expand output rollout in bitmap, check inverted and contract the rollout. It's a bit different if you have predominantly one type of microsurface maps and set your defaults accordingly, but i think that most 3ds Max users has mixed amount of roughness and glossiness maps.

What I mean is that it's nice being able to plug in a roughness map directly, no fuss.

2021-08-03, 20:39:41
Reply #34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I know what you mean, but unless you have only roughness, or only glossiness maps in your library, you still need to change the mode occasionaly and it's not easier, nor harder than it was before, it's just controls now are in other place. Nothing has changed in that regard.

2021-08-03, 22:06:50
Reply #35

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
This issue made it more complicated for me, at times, but not sure if it has been resolved.

2021-08-03, 22:58:12
Reply #36

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This issue made it more complicated for me, at times, but not sure if it has been resolved.

Wasnt there some discrepancy between how the inverted image looked in photoshop vs in max?

2021-08-03, 22:59:33
Reply #37

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

There might or might not be something done, but sadly because some of the users cannot understand that a feature might get postponed when unexpected complications occur, we will generally announce only features that are fully done ;)

Very much looking forward to heavily beta testing it if it makes it into the dailies. Ive got such a need for this over the next few months and currently im having to make gigantic layered materials.

2021-08-04, 00:05:13
Reply #38

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yeah, I feared that would happen damn.

If you ever open an "insider" program with a 0 tolerance for bitching and tantrums, count me in.

2021-08-04, 02:38:15
Reply #39

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Really want to participate in any alpha preview that comes up for tonemapping - hands down my most anticipated feature.

2021-08-04, 10:02:12
Reply #40

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think that something has changed in terms of daily builds, we will still get new features to test as soon as they will be ready. What's changed though, is the team's attitude towards public roadmap - they are more reluctant to anounce planned features now, due to constant rage from certain users on the forum.

2021-08-04, 10:34:19
Reply #41

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
That feels like a 'minority practice, majority's burden' kinda thing

2021-08-04, 11:44:17
Reply #42

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes indeed, but try to put yourself in devs' shoes, how would you feel by having to read and address constant attacks about failed expectations, slow development, damage from merging with Chaos group, etc. It would be really sad and disappointing, should the team cease releasing public daily builds and would leave testing for selected trusty insiders. Instead they decided to tame expectations by limiting release of information on the roadmap. Maybe that's even better - now we'll more frequently get pleasant surprises along the way.

2021-08-04, 14:39:51
Reply #43

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes indeed, but try to put yourself in devs' shoes, how would you feel by having to read and address constant attacks about failed expectations, slow development, damage from merging with Chaos group, etc. It would be really sad and disappointing, should the team cease releasing public daily builds and would leave testing for selected trusty insiders. Instead they decided to tame expectations by limiting release of information on the roadmap. Maybe that's even better - now we'll more frequently get pleasant surprises along the way.

Its probably a good idea to maintain a list of features that are on the dev radar and then jusct cross them off as they get released rather than promising  per release.
That way at least users can see if an idea is being considered before posting the request.

2021-08-04, 15:14:38
Reply #44

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We tried, but the thing is that no matter how much we stress it, some people just cannot read. We just cannot announce "we would like to try these things for v8" becasue of this :/. Still even after something is on shortlist the continuing demand may play a role if we need to make a decision what to boot from the next release, so dont hesitate to support your favorite feature.
Rendering is magic.

2021-08-04, 15:22:28
Reply #45

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We tried, but the thing is that no matter how much we stress it, some people just cannot read. We just cannot announce "we would like to try these things for v8" becasue of this :/. Still even after something is on shortlist the continuing demand may play a role if we need to make a decision what to boot from the next release, so dont hesitate to support your favorite feature.

That makes sense and it is a shame. What i mean was more like maintaining the existing list of potential future ideas without saying what is coming and when. Just keep everything in that so at least people can see that its on your teams radar as an idea.  Maybe even a locked thread in the feature requests board so people know to check that first to see if someone else has posted an idea and youre already considering it.

Plus surprises are always nice :)

If i could vote decals three times i would :D Though the lightmix for materials would be an absolute game changer given no other renderer has the feature. It would almost certainly corner the interiors market. I imagine that would be a huge undertaking though.

2021-08-04, 18:58:17
Reply #46

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Very much looking forward to heavily beta testing it if it makes it into the dailies. Ive got such a need for this over the next few months and currently im having to make gigantic layered materials.

Agree. Decals look like they could be a big time saver. I'm also dealing wit huge layered materials and having to do some repeating patterns on a rug in Photoshop, and hoping they will fit just right when on the fabric.

2021-08-04, 22:36:52
Reply #47

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Agree. Decals look like they could be a big time saver. I'm also dealing wit huge layered materials and having to do some repeating patterns on a rug in Photoshop, and hoping they will fit just right when on the fabric.

Huge time saver. Adding seams to fabric is going to be fantastic. Adding dirt and grime and imperfection too. Painted signage, window graphics, stickers etc. The possibilities are endless and its one of those features that just means the tools dont get in the way of the creativity.

@Ondra it would be amazing if decals could also be used to purely displace the underlying material (for seams on fabric, injection moulding marks and logos for product viz, embossed surfaces etc)
« Last Edit: 2021-08-04, 22:57:13 by Jpjapers »

2021-08-05, 10:19:50
Reply #48

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.

2021-08-05, 18:58:22
Reply #49

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity, will the include\exclude on caustics include\exclude objects from calculation and thus speed things up?  Or is it more of a mask where all elements are still calculated but only certain elements show the caustics pass?  Basically just wondering if it will impact speed.

Thanks!

2021-08-06, 13:19:06
Reply #50

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
+1 for decals.
I've been waiting for so long to able to add details ontop of the materials with ease, without setting up 101 material layers

Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2021-08-06, 14:24:32
Reply #51

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity, will the include\exclude on caustics include\exclude objects from calculation and thus speed things up?  Or is it more of a mask where all elements are still calculated but only certain elements show the caustics pass?  Basically just wondering if it will impact speed.

Thanks!

The idea is something like "you can now disable receiving caustics from this specific water surface on this specific wall". I guess it should also make rendering faster in most cases, but I am not 100% sure, so will find out and let you know.

Update: yes, it should speed things up.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-06, 14:55:53 by maru »

2021-08-06, 16:53:32
Reply #52

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed on the trello a mention of a curvature map. Would this just be a native equivalent to using the data channel to generate the vertex colour map?

2021-08-06, 17:01:23
Reply #53

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I noticed on the trello a mention of a curvature map. Would this just be a native equivalent to using the data channel to generate the vertex colour map?

It will be a Corona feature just like Corona AO.

2021-08-06, 17:09:45
Reply #54

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It will be a Corona feature just like Corona AO.

Sorry yes thats what i meant but would it fulfil the same purpose as i described above? i.e. would you be able to derive different channels from the single map as in concave/convex?

2021-08-07, 04:11:12
Reply #55

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks!

The idea is something like "you can now disable receiving caustics from this specific water surface on this specific wall". I guess it should also make rendering faster in most cases, but I am not 100% sure, so will find out and let you know.

Update: yes, it should speed things up.

That’s exciting :) thanks for the update!

2021-08-10, 08:16:45
Reply #56

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello everyone.

The shadow shifts on low poly objects. This is very noticeable on tree branches, on sofas and when the normal map is used. The normal map begins to work aggressively in places with bends and a low number of polygons. A black outline appears on the branches of trees. It is clearly visible on Megascans models, an example is provided by the user cjwidd in this topic https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31748.15. Changing the Shadow shift value to 0.5 partially solves this problem, but then we get grid artifacts. I made some examples with captions and comparisons

corona-8-3dsmax-daily-2021-07-28 | 3dsmax 2021.3

2021-08-10, 11:50:18
Reply #57

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.

The shadow shifts on low poly objects. This is very noticeable on tree branches, on sofas and when the normal map is used. The normal map begins to work aggressively in places with bends and a low number of polygons. A black outline appears on the branches of trees. It is clearly visible on Megascans models, an example is provided by the user cjwidd in this topic https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31748.15. Changing the Shadow shift value to 0.5 partially solves this problem, but then we get grid artifacts. I made some examples with captions and comparisons

Hi, is this in any way related to Corona 8? Is it any different in Corona 7, 6, or older?

As you correctly noted, we do this to get rid of the sharp blocky shadows on low poly geometry.
When this feature is off - the blocky shadows will be visible.
When this feature is on - the blocky shadows will not be visible, but the shading will be slightly different.

The assumption is that the shading difference is not noticeable in most cases, and its drawbacks are less important than the sharp blocky shadows. One thing I can recommend is not using low-poly objects. This generally isn't a good idea since they are not realistic.

Is this any different in other renderers?

2021-08-10, 12:25:27
Reply #58

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello everyone.

Hi, is this in any way related to Corona 8? Is it any different in Corona 7, 6, or older?

As you correctly noted, we do this to get rid of the sharp blocky shadows on low poly geometry.
When this feature is off - the blocky shadows will be visible.
When this feature is on - the blocky shadows will not be visible, but the shading will be slightly different.

The assumption is that the shading difference is not noticeable in most cases, and its drawbacks are less important than the sharp blocky shadows. One thing I can recommend is not using low-poly objects. This generally isn't a good idea since they are not realistic.

Is this any different in other renderers?

If you carefully look at the image that I attached, you will see that I showed how it works in v-ray. Plus, for v-ray, the strength of the normal bump map does not depend on the shape of the mesh ;)
« Last Edit: 2021-08-10, 14:23:14 by EugeneDa »

2021-08-13, 16:31:21
Reply #59

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2021-08-13, 23:43:39
Reply #60

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
@maru Is there something that can be done about this? The thread @EugeneDa pointed to basically concluded on a normal map tangent space discrepancy.

2021-08-16, 07:56:25
Reply #61

mvshabeer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I see decals in development!! Is the idea same as decals in unreal engine?

2021-08-16, 15:47:32
Reply #62

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@maru Is there something that can be done about this? The thread @EugeneDa pointed to basically concluded on a normal map tangent space discrepancy.

It's reported for our devs to investigate. Sorry, but right now I do not have any instant answer for you.
I think it might be working different in V-Ray because they are two different renderers. I think all path tracers like Corona need some kind of workaround for low-poly shading to look better (like our terminator shift).
But we will see if we can improve this, or if there is some good technical explanation, or a workaround.

(Report ID=CRMAX-897)

2021-08-17, 20:02:30
Reply #63

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Dumb question, but Corona Renderer 7 ships with ~20-50% increased rendering speed in a number of scenarios, I'm wondering how much faster can Corona Renderer really go (on the software side) at this point?

2021-08-17, 20:24:14
Reply #64

TomG

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Dumb question, but Corona Renderer 7 ships with ~20-50% increased rendering speed in a number of scenarios, I'm wondering how much faster can Corona Renderer really go (on the software side) at this point?

Nobody knows :) There's always new research on new algorithms, and no-one knows what those might be until they are discovered/created/completed, and nobody knows what speed increase it brings until it is put into practice. Rendering has been going at least since the 80s, and here we are still finding new ways to make significant speed increases, so who knows how much faster things can get?

2021-08-17, 21:08:11
Reply #65

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I sort of assume that the dev team is *always* looking for ways to increase rendering speeds for Corona Renderer, but there is a lot on their plate at the moment - especially with tonemapping on the docket, etc. - so I assume rendering speed gets deprioritized from time to time, as development goes.

Is it fair to say that there is a particular feature(s) that is really at the core of the dev team's focus for Corona Renderer 8?

2021-08-17, 21:56:19
Reply #66

TomG

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-08-17, 22:32:21
Reply #67

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I sort of assume that the dev team is *always* looking for ways to increase rendering speeds for Corona Renderer, but there is a lot on their plate at the moment - especially with tonemapping on the docket, etc. - so I assume rendering speed gets deprioritized from time to time, as development goes.

Is it fair to say that there is a particular feature(s) that is really at the core of the dev team's focus for Corona Renderer 8?

Ive wondered the same thing on occasion. I would hope that speed increases are sometimes lower down the list than new features that make artists lives easier or increase productivity. The amount of time that passes between major versions of corona isnt enough for there to be much significant increase in hardware capability except by throwing more processor cores at it *Coughs in AMD* so all of the speed improvements are going to need to be through grinding away at the codebase which i imagine takes alot of dev time. Features that reduce the complexity of scene setup (decals being one of them) are always great too and im excited to see what comes of that.

Id personally rather see a new feature that makes another area of the production process easier and faster and more flexible so maybe the speed increase isnt as necessary. Like lightmix layers for textures and materials. A small speed increase wouldn't matter there because if you only have to render once to be able to get multiple versions of a render, you're saving time by not having to render over and over again. Theres your speed increase. Same goes for decals. Using complex layered materials is incredibly slow and from my experience drastically affects viewport performance. so the decal system will provide a secondary speed increase in that part of the pipe just by existing.

In my opinion id love to see users stop focussing on and voting for increasing the speed of rendering and start recognising at the bigger picture of the volume and flexibility of work we can produce with the tools available or with with one click of the render button.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-17, 22:42:37 by Jpjapers »

2021-08-21, 01:07:03
Reply #68

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
It's reported for our devs to investigate. Sorry, but right now I do not have any instant answer for you.
I think it might be working different in V-Ray because they are two different renderers. I think all path tracers like Corona need some kind of workaround for low-poly shading to look better (like our terminator shift).
But we will see if we can improve this, or if there is some good technical explanation, or a workaround.

(Report ID=CRMAX-897)

Hey @Maru, not inquiring about a solution, per se, but just curious what exactly is the issue in this case and how it relates to normal map shading - just trying to understand the issue in more detail. I've had issues with Corona Renderer and low poly shading from day 1, particularly as it pertains to normal map shading of low poly objects, mismatched tangent basis, etc. (the linked posted from EugeneDa contains more illustrative examples).

2021-08-27, 15:21:33
Reply #69

lzanlorenzi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys!
any possibility to create a CoronaToonMat or a compatibility with VrayToon? I believe this will be a good approach to keep the Corona renderer more artistic for Archviz or animations.

Thanks for all your hard work. Awesome!!!

2021-08-29, 15:09:06
Reply #70

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello everyone.

When I change the roughness parameters greater than zero with overriding enabled, a single map environment starts to appear. Please take a look at the screenshot! 😉

CoronaRenderer 7hotfix1 | 3dsmax 2021.3

2021-08-29, 19:01:08
Reply #71

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.

When I change the roughness parameters greater than zero with overriding enabled, a single map environment starts to appear. Please take a look at the screenshot! 😉

CoronaRenderer 7hotfix1 | 3dsmax 2021.3
I believe this was always the case - lighting and reflection can not be totally separated so that the material reflects only the override map. there will always be some contribution to reflection from the map used for lighting.

2021-08-30, 09:25:29
Reply #72

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
I believe this was always the case - lighting and reflection can not be totally separated so that the material reflects only the override map. there will always be some contribution to reflection from the map used for lighting.

2021-08-30, 10:30:53
Reply #73

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@EugeneDa - I can see that your reports are very specific and detailed, which is great, but it seems some of them are not really related to Corona 8.
Instead of posting in this thread, could you please report the issues you find as separate forum threads in the Bug Reporting forum section? (link: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?board=2.0 )
Thank you in advance.

2021-09-05, 15:35:01
Reply #74

junchien

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some of the content of the voting and attention in the forum will cause the development team to fall into a kind of bondage because some voters do not understand the logic itself. I feel that the internal discussions you said will be easier to achieve a goal and give the development team a sense of recognition. , This is helpful for future things; I want to ask a stupid question. I am very excited to see the improvement of CR7.0's proxy reading speed. The capable developers of the development team will consider optimizing the viewport operation corona Is the agent's display mode mechanism? (The same proxy display mode of CR VR, the model with the same number of faces, will have a 10%-15% difference in FPS) When I frequently use models with a high number of faces, I can clearly feel the subtle difference with Vray5.0, maybe I am stupid and don’t know what’s going on behind this, but it will be very helpful for some huge scenes that require details. What I want to say is similar to UE5’s "nanite" to relieve scene pressure and release More creative possibilities, maybe my expression is very confusing, this is just an expectation brought by my long-term use of Corona

2021-09-07, 03:16:19
Reply #75

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, something realy strange its going on with latest build, Here is an screen shot, its a distributed rendering between ryzen 370 and 3990 both 128 gigs of ram, this image doesnt take more than 20 min to do and it been more than two hours, also the VFB its really slow and freezes, this doesnt happens with previos daily, ill try to upload the scene later, same thing happened with an exterior shot, this one i stopped because it start ok and then increased the time to 16 hous estimate so i decide to render this one as a test..

2021-09-07, 08:34:57
Reply #76

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, something realy strange its going on with latest build, Here is an screen shot, its a distributed rendering between ryzen 370 and 3990 both 128 gigs of ram, this image doesnt take more than 20 min to do and it been more than two hours, also the VFB its really slow and freezes, this doesnt happens with previos daily, ill try to upload the scene later, same thing happened with an exterior shot, this one i stopped because it start ok and then increased the time to 16 hous estimate so i decide to render this one as a test..
Hi,

Please let me know when you have uploaded the scene and we will investigate.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-07, 11:33:27
Reply #77

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, i just uploaded the scene to dropbox, heres an screenshot for a test same resoluiton same scene same camera, same file but on one machine only no DR and the times are similar to previous daily version and CPU usage is close to 100% and seems to need less passes

EDIT: Here is an screenshot with 39 passes, almost finished, no DR, tiem less than half from DR
« Last Edit: 2021-09-07, 12:07:54 by KOGODIS »

2021-09-07, 14:15:39
Reply #78

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

thanks for the scene and the further information. I will test it here.

Can I ask what your network setup is also?

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-09-07, 16:12:26
Reply #79

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes of course, my network its a gigabit arrangement, al the maps are stored individually on each machine ssd and only the final result its sored on a separate server with an ssd also

2021-09-08, 11:30:30
Reply #80

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes of course, my network its a gigabit arrangement, al the maps are stored individually on each machine ssd and only the final result its sored on a separate server with an ssd also
Thanks for the info, I can reproduce this somewhat sporadically and I will continue to investigate.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-08, 15:46:47
Reply #81

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great to help, also the same issue happened on a new scene i worked yesterday from scratch, if it helps let me know to upload it too.

2021-09-08, 16:08:28
Reply #82

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
tx files are not loading as it says in changelog

2021-09-08, 18:22:15
Reply #83

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
tx files are not loading as it says in changelog
Hi,

They should load just fine, you have to select "all files" in the file load drop down menu to be able to see them.

Let me know if you still have issues.

Rowan

2021-09-08, 23:45:27
Reply #84

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-09-09, 01:04:49
Reply #85

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
my render goes slow after rendering sometimes 14 passes and some times 40 passes it uses low cpu or shows ram error i have 96 gb ram and start using 100% hdd where the file is saved i am not using distributed rendering

2021-09-09, 11:14:07
Reply #86

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Great to help, also the same issue happened on a new scene i worked yesterday from scratch, if it helps let me know to upload it too.
Hi,

If you have a simple scene where you can reproduce this it would be really useful too. If not, then I'll try and simplify the one you already sent through.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-09, 11:15:09
Reply #87

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
no sir its not working
Hi,

I'll look into this. EDIT: If you drop the .tx texture into the load section of the coronaBitmap then it will load the file. (As in my screenshot). It doesn't load through the dialog due to us using the 3ds Max file open dialog and through this you can only load file formats which Max already supports. We will look into creating our own dialog in the future to work around this. But for the moment you will have to load the .tx files as I suggested earlier. I have also updated the changelog accordingly.

my render goes slow after rendering sometimes 14 passes and some times 40 passes it uses low cpu or shows ram error i have 96 gb ram and start using 100% hdd where the file is saved i am not using distributed rendering
This sounds like you are running out of memory, is it quite a large scene you are working on?

Thanks,

Rowan
« Last Edit: 2021-09-09, 11:54:10 by rowmanns »

2021-09-09, 12:55:31
Reply #88

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
before updating to current version it was rendering fine i have no issue for rendertime but it needs to render at highest cpu usage. i already have vraybitmaps with tx even if i convert it doesn't load the scene is not that huge i have rendered bigger scenes earlier

2021-09-09, 12:57:56
Reply #89

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
currently i have returned to corona 7.1 and i am rendering it i also brought my scenes to default settings hope it works

2021-09-09, 13:00:35
Reply #90

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
before updating to current version it was rendering fine i have no issue for rendertime but it needs to render at highest cpu usage. i already have vraybitmaps with tx even if i convert it doesn't load the scene is not that huge i have rendered bigger scenes earlier
In this case please can you send over the scene? Instructions on how to do so can be found in my signature.

Cheers.

2021-09-09, 13:16:35
Reply #91

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok i will share the file in some hours

2021-09-09, 19:49:19
Reply #92

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi i have shared my files on dropbox - email id - deniskhiroya@icloud.com

2021-09-10, 03:10:17
Reply #93

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, ive uploaded the new scene, not to simple but less elaborated compared to the previous one, hope this helps.

VK

Hi,

If you have a simple scene where you can reproduce this it would be really useful too. If not, then I'll try and simplify the one you already sent through.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-10, 09:33:25
Reply #94

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, ive uploaded the new scene, not to simple but less elaborated compared to the previous one, hope this helps.

VK
Thanks guys, I will investigate.

2021-09-10, 18:24:01
Reply #95

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are using a CoronaDistance map in the Opacity slot to do a render-time boolean cutting operation and then move the 'cutting' object while IR is running it crashes every time.  I can provide a scene if necessary but it's not scene specific.

Running the latest and greatest DB and Max 2021 on Windows 10.

Thanks!
Daniel

2021-09-13, 01:52:08
Reply #96

DustinMoore

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive noticed that the fog looks wonderful except when I move the camera into the volume and the fog effect disappears. Is it Step Size that fixes this issue? First image is with fog slightly above the camera position. Second is in volume.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-13, 01:55:40 by DustinMoore »

2021-09-13, 10:30:42
Reply #97

GeorgeK

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • George
    • View Profile
Ive noticed that the fog looks wonderful except when I move the camera into the volume and the fog effect disappears. Is it Step Size that fixes this issue? First image is with fog slightly above the camera position. Second is in volume.

Hi Dustin, I am afraid this is expected. Volumetric effects may not render as expected (may disappear completely, produce artifacts, or cause excessive noise or other unwanted issues) if:

- The camera is placed inside the medium (e.g. inside a Phoenix FD object, or inside a mesh with CoronaVolumeMtl applied)

Please refer to: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000040687-volumetric-fx-known-bugs-and-limitations
For solutions, troubleshooting, ticket requests please visit - [link]

2021-09-13, 10:41:02
Reply #98

Kris H

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are using a CoronaDistance map in the Opacity slot to do a render-time boolean cutting operation and then move the 'cutting' object while IR is running it crashes every time.  I can provide a scene if necessary but it's not scene specific.

Running the latest and greatest DB and Max 2021 on Windows 10.

Thanks!
Daniel

Hello,

unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce your issue, could you please share your scene with us and maybe some more specific reproduction steps?

Thank you in advance,
Kris

2021-09-14, 02:00:02
Reply #99

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio

Hi, I am having the same issues with DR! The rendering goes on but everything is blocked (UI + VFB)!!!
If I turned of the DR Salve returns back to normal operation.

Any clues on this?

Thanks,

Dionysios -
RPBW Responsable d’Imagerie / CGI Manager
& freelance 3D Artist.

Personal Portfolio: https://evolvia-imaging.com

2021-09-14, 04:24:45
Reply #100

DustinMoore

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can render  smoke directly from output (.aur) but cant adjust its color with a Volume Material applied to the grid or using the built in Render Setting controls for the SIM. Do I have to use a Volume Grid with .vdb for this?

2021-09-14, 10:59:14
Reply #101

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi, I am having the same issues with DR! The rendering goes on but everything is blocked (UI + VFB)!!!
If I turned of the DR Salve returns back to normal operation.

Any clues on this?

Thanks,

Dionysios -
Hi,

We are still investigating the cause of this issue. If you have a reasonably simple scene where this is reproduceable I will be happy to test it.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-09-14, 11:57:49
Reply #102

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
  • http://www.alexandre-besson.com
    • View Profile
    • Alexandre Besson portfolio
Hi,

Curve editor have an issue when rendering  (no effect ) on last DB

regards

2021-09-14, 12:18:24
Reply #103

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Curve editor have an issue when rendering  (no effect ) on last DB

regards
Hi,

Which curve editor are you talking about? There are a few ;)

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-14, 13:04:52
Reply #104

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-09-14, 16:49:36
Reply #105

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
curve editor tone mapping vfb
Hi,

I just tested this and it seems to be working fine for me.

Can you provide some more details and clear instructions on exactly what is not working correctly?

Please take a moment to read this guide on what information we ask for when reporting bugs: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-09-15, 10:45:27
Reply #106

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We have managed to reproduce this one. We will keep you informed of the progress.

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-940)

2021-09-15, 12:05:55
Reply #107

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-09-15, 15:29:59
Reply #108

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio
Hi,

We have managed to reproduce this one. We will keep you informed of the progress.

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-940)

Hi Rowan, excuse me but I was busy and Iread right now your answer.
So, the problem you were able to replicate was the one with the unresponsive UI during DR rendering?

Thanks! :)
& freelance 3D Artist.

2021-09-15, 15:45:16
Reply #109

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, ive  found 3 things related to material editor, the first one is that its very but very slow on big scenes, taking more than 20 min or more sometimes to delete a material or a tab  and even hangs 3dsmax, the second is that the waves map hangs 3dsmax when its applied to a corona material after some adjustments (not at first, just when you spend time adjusting the map) when interactive its active it almos inmediatly hangs and crashes max when you close the interctive render windows, and final point i set some screenshots here, when you pic a mateiral from an object it ges semi hanged (the material) it doesnt says thats its applied to the object and also cant select by material , i have to close the material windows and open again to get that function working.

2021-09-15, 17:06:10
Reply #110

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
So, the problem you were able to replicate was the one with the unresponsive UI during DR rendering?

Hi,

Yes we were able to reproduce that issue, but in quite a large scene. If you have a reasonably light scene I would be interested in testing that too.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-09-15, 17:11:58
Reply #111

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio

Hi,

Yes we were able to reproduce that issue, but in quite a large scene. If you have a reasonably light scene I would be interested in testing that too.

Thanks,

Rowan

Nope, mine is quite large as well! :(
& freelance 3D Artist.

2021-09-15, 18:23:38
Reply #112

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

hi sir  - hope issue of
1. unresponsive UI during DR rendering
2.my issue - render goes slow after rendering sometimes 14 passes and some times 40 passes it uses low cpu shows ram error i have 96 gb ram and start using 100% hdd where the file is saved i am not using distributed rendering also tx files no loading

considered as 1 issue

2021-09-17, 09:39:18
Reply #113

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys.
After upgrading to very latest daily when i go saving all the render layers, 3dsmax suddenly crashes.
It's happening with a heavy scene with camera dof (still image rendering) but before this latest release i never encountered this problem.

BR
Raf

« Last Edit: 2021-09-17, 10:06:43 by cgiout »

2021-09-17, 16:11:00
Reply #115

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys.
After upgrading to very latest daily when i go saving all the render layers, 3dsmax suddenly crashes.
It's happening with a heavy scene with camera dof (still image rendering) but before this latest release i never encountered this problem.

BR
Raf
Hi,

Are you able to send over the scene in question? Secondly which format are you saving and what render elements do you have in your secene?

Instructions on how to send the scene to us are in my signature.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-09-22, 10:39:12
Reply #116

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio
Hi!

The today's last Daily Build, includes any fixes about the DR problems we've encountered lately?

UI and rendering process freezing

Thanks,

Dionysios -
& freelance 3D Artist.

2021-09-22, 12:41:09
Reply #117

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

The today's last Daily Build, includes any fixes about the DR problems we've encountered lately?

UI and rendering process freezing

Thanks,

Dionysios -
Hi,

All changes are mentioned in the changelog. Unfortunately that one is a little tricky, and we are still working on it.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-22, 13:25:56
Reply #118

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Curious why the Adaptive Solver checkbox was moved from the Performance rollout to the Development rollout(?)

2021-09-22, 13:55:20
Reply #119

TomG

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Because it pretty much never needs to be disabled, so it doesn't have to take up real estate among things that get turned on and off and adjusted regularly :)

2021-09-22, 14:02:02
Reply #120

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

2021-09-24, 00:08:04
Reply #121

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Today I discovered 2 strange moments:

1. As far as I know Corona uses OpenGL format of normal maps, considering this, I exported normal maps from Substance Painter in DirectX format and inverted the green Y channel, but in the last daily build I found that now the surface looks correct if I leave the green channel without inversion and it looks wrong if I invert it. Am I missing a nuance or is this a bug?

2. In the last daily build, the Specular parameter does not work correctly, if you set the value to 0.5, then the appearance of the shaderball does not coincide with that when using IOR 1.5, in addition to this, now using the specular parameter it is impossible to completely disable reflections by setting Specular to 0, all values ​​are less than 0.5 look the same. But at the same time, if I add a black color map, then the reflections are turned off as before, I checked on version 7 stable and there it clearly behaves differently.

2021-09-24, 00:24:46
Reply #122

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Eh, I've thought for years Corona Renderer uses DirectX?

Pretty sure you can disable reflections by setting IOR = 0 with 0.0 gloss / 1.0 rough
« Last Edit: 2021-09-24, 01:10:45 by cjwidd »

2021-09-24, 01:44:38
Reply #123

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Eh, I've thought for years Corona Renderer uses DirectX?

Pretty sure you can disable reflections by setting IOR = 0 with 0.0 gloss / 1.0 rough

I suspect I can be wrong about Corona's native format of the normals, but I would be glad to hear confirmation from the development team to close this question.

As for the specular parameter, yes, I understand that I can turn off reflections using 0 ior, I don't even need to touch the roughness parameter, but before I could do it using specular mode and now the behavior of this parameter when entering numeric values ​​has definitely changed in the latest daily build

2021-09-24, 04:28:40
Reply #124

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
[...] 3ds Max by default uses DirectX (-Y) normal maps, so Corona Team wisely decided to stick with that as default [...]

2021-09-24, 10:02:22
Reply #125

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
[...] 3ds Max by default uses DirectX (-Y) normal maps, so Corona Team wisely decided to stick with that as default [...]
yeah, got it, so it is a bug in my brains :D but the second question is still on the spot

2021-09-24, 10:34:14
Reply #126

GeorgeK

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • George
    • View Profile
    2. In the last daily build, the Specular parameter does not work correctly, if you set the value to 0.5, then the appearance of the shaderball does not coincide with that when using IOR 1.5, in addition to this, now using the specular parameter it is impossible to completely disable reflections by setting Specular to 0, all values ​​are less than 0.5 look the same. But at the same time, if I add a black color map, then the reflections are turned off as before, I checked on version 7 stable and there it clearly behaves differently.

Hi and thanks for reporting this, it seems like something was broken, reporting it.

(Report ID=CRMAX-996)

2021-09-24, 15:47:23
Reply #127

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There is no native format of normal maps, it is a matter of very simple to change processing in single place (NormalMap). Corona AFAIK uses what 3dsmax uses, or what somebody requesting the feature originally recommended
Rendering is magic.

2021-09-27, 21:42:58
Reply #128

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know if this has being already reported.
But using the corona-8-3dsmax-daily-2021-09-21 after the first time I initialize render (or preview render) the viewport gets very slow in the navigation (pan, orbit, etc).
Returned to 7.1 to avoid this behavior.
Ronald

2021-09-28, 08:33:37
Reply #129

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know if this has being already reported.
But using the corona-8-3dsmax-daily-2021-09-21 after the first time I initialize render (or preview render) the viewport gets very slow in the navigation (pan, orbit, etc).
Returned to 7.1 to avoid this behavior.
Ronald
Hi,

Could you provide an example scene? Also which version on 3ds Max are you using?

Instuctions on how to send a scene to us can be found in my signature.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-28, 19:11:39
Reply #130

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, rowmanns.

I downgraded the scene to the Corona 7.1 and the slow persist.

I'm using the 3ds Max 2022.2 (thinking about it now, this started after i've updated 3ds max)

The same file in the 3ds Max 2021 dont reproduce this behavior.

I will send the file.

Ronald
« Last Edit: 2021-09-28, 19:27:50 by ronaldjung »

2021-09-28, 19:19:27
Reply #131

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Uploaded the file with the dropbox link and in the Private Uploader, name:
1632849454_Loft-Sibipiruna-Linea-Haus-Versao-A-13.max

The dropbox file have all the assts (3ds max archive file).

See ya

2021-09-29, 12:36:06
Reply #132

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, rowmanns.

I downgraded the scene to the Corona 7.1 and the slow persist.

I'm using the 3ds Max 2022.2 (thinking about it now, this started after i've updated 3ds max)

The same file in the 3ds Max 2021 dont reproduce this behavior.

I will send the file.

Ronald
Hi,

Thanks for uploading the scene. However if it is indeed caused by 3ds max as you speculate I'm not sure how much we can do about it.

However I'll take a look and see. We'll let you know when there is some more info.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-09-29, 13:15:31
Reply #133

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, rowmanns.

As I told you yesterday, the problem persisted after I had reinstalled corona 7.1 (without uninstalling the daily build)

Today I tried to uninstal Corona and then install it again (7.1).
The problem is not happening anymore.
It seems that was something related with the daily build...
I'll keep using 7.1 by now.

Thanks

Ronald

2021-10-01, 17:10:15
Reply #134

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

This is fixed in the latest daily build. https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33839.msg190524#msg190524

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-10-01, 21:52:45
Reply #135

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
"New
Added include/exclude list to specify which object should (not) receive caustics. You can find it in the performance tab of render settings
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/CGCGN8"

Amazing news!! Can't wait to try this! Bravo devs.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-03, 21:57:10
Reply #136

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio
Hi,

This is fixed in the latest daily build. https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33839.msg190524#msg190524

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

it seems fixed yes but is still not perfect I think.
Everything goes on fine when DR is active but sometimes I get some random freezes here and there and after some seconds it get's back to normal.

I am not sure but I guess it happens when the master PC receives the calculated data from the DR Slave....

Thanks,

Dionysios -
& freelance 3D Artist.

2021-10-04, 09:40:06
Reply #137

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Everything goes on fine when DR is active but sometimes I get some random freezes here and there and after some seconds it get's back to normal.

I am not sure but I guess it happens when the master PC receives the calculated data from the DR Slave....

Thanks,

Dionysios -
Hi,

Yeah I think this might be a slightly different issue. We are still looking into the issue with DR and I'll let you know when I have some more info.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-10-04, 11:45:16
Reply #138

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, rowmanns.

As I told you yesterday, the problem persisted after I had reinstalled corona 7.1 (without uninstalling the daily build)

Thanks

Ronald
Hi,

I wasn't able to reproduce this with the latest daily build. Are you running the latest GPU drivers?

Maybe if you could record a video of exactly what you are doing it will be useful.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-10-04, 17:15:20
Reply #139

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Thanks,

Dionysios -

thank you i will check

2021-10-04, 18:27:05
Reply #140

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, just one question about the new daily build denoiser. the example that you provide , what's the amount used?, just for a better reference, thanks.

2021-10-04, 21:49:04
Reply #141

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Thanks,

Dionysios -
Hi,

Yeah I think this might be a slightly different issue. We are still looking into the issue with DR and I'll let you know when I have some more info.

Thanks,

Rowan

FYI

I am attaching here 2 capture screens from Ryzen Master while my system gets in freeze state (while DR rendering is active) and then after in normal state.
As you can notice, in freeze state the CPU cores (Ryzen 5950X) are very unstable, the Peak Core(S) Voltage is very high and the PPT value gets unstable as well.

On the other hand during the normal process everything works fine.

Hope can help.

Dionysios -
& freelance 3D Artist.

2021-10-08, 13:36:22
Reply #142

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
FYI

I am attaching here 2 capture screens from Ryzen Master while my system gets in freeze state (while DR rendering is active) and then after in normal state.
As you can notice, in freeze state the CPU cores (Ryzen 5950X) are very unstable, the Peak Core(S) Voltage is very high and the PPT value gets unstable as well.

On the other hand during the normal process everything works fine.

Hope can help.

Dionysios -
Hi,

Thanks, we are still looking into this one. As of yet I don't have any new info. I'll let you know when I do.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-10-08, 17:28:29
Reply #143

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, latest build crshes almost 90% of the time and keeps restarting, heavy and small scenes, cpu AMD 3990, 128 gigs ram, ill try to upload the scene.

2021-10-09, 19:28:35
Reply #144

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
Hi guys, latest build crshes almost 90% of the time and keeps restarting, heavy and small scenes, cpu AMD 3990, 128 gigs ram, ill try to upload the scene.
We're experiencing some crashes with the latest build too, but not 90%. I'd say every 3-4th scene.

2021-10-09, 21:22:26
Reply #145

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
Running IR with the latest daily and for all these years I haven't seen the "v-ray" splotches.

2021-10-09, 22:10:10
Reply #146

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I noticed that too. Maybe devs tweaked IR settings for it to be more responsive?

2021-10-11, 06:29:59
Reply #147

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I don't want to derail the thread because users are reporting what appear to be very critical bugs, but I do want to chime in to request an update on tonemapping development. I believe tonemapping is unequivocally the next major feature update that users are interested expecting, along with tonemapping being nixed from the v8 release, but tonemapping has been absent from basically all of the latest daily builds over the last several months AFAIK(?)
« Last Edit: 2021-10-12, 01:42:37 by cjwidd »

2021-10-11, 09:41:14
Reply #148

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We're experiencing some crashes with the latest build too, but not 90%. I'd say every 3-4th scene.
Hi Guys,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, please could you provide a scene and some reproduction steps so I can replicate these crashes?

Instructions on how to do this can be found in my signature.

Running IR with the latest daily and for all these years I haven't seen the "v-ray" splotches.

We are aware of this issue and looking into it.

(Report ID=CRMAX-1036)

I don't want to derail the thread because users are reporting what appear to be very critical bugs, but I do want to chime in to request an update on tonemapping development. I believe tonemapping is unequivocally the next major feature update that users are interested expecting, along with tonemapping being nixed from the v8 release, but tonemapping has been absent from basically all of the latest daily builds over the last several months AFAIK(?)
Hi,

We are still working really hard on this, the reason it's not in the dailies yet is that it's not ready yet. Unfortunately I can't give you a timescale of when it will hit the dailies other than hopefully soon :)

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-10-12, 17:12:42
Reply #149

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow! "Added cdecal object - projects a selected texture on any geometry"? I love it.
Thank you!

But could you please add the support to the "use real-world Scale" for maps in Mask source "From material" use?

2021-10-12, 17:14:54
Reply #150

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One more thing, it would be awesome to have a target for cdecol gizmo.

2021-10-13, 02:43:03
Reply #151

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Decals are amazing, I wish we had separate button at the Corona Toolbar for CDecal object and the ability to add corona displacement modifier on top of CoronaDecal object, or simple override displacement spinners in CDecal parameters itself

P.S. And maybe in the future it will be cool to have an opportunity to assign "Corona Decal Modifier" to a custom geometry with proper UV coordinates, creating a "projection shell" to project for example stitches on the fabric, using one long stripe of polygons, detached from the original mesh
« Last Edit: 2021-10-13, 04:14:16 by marchik »

2021-10-13, 04:30:34
Reply #152

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

2021-10-13, 06:42:22
Reply #153

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
^that's an interesting idea
The main thing that now we have the "projection" itself, now it can be developed into modifiers, proper displacement mixing in the CoronaLayeredMtl, mapping type "projection" guided by a helper object in the CoronaBitmap parameters and so on. In fact i'm so happy that it finally appeared, thank you guys! :D

2021-10-13, 06:46:11
Reply #154

henk95

• Users
    • View Profile
Why are the colors in corona color picker as if with the wrong gamma? I enter the color data (HSV) 147/51/53 and in the standard color picker - the color is what you need.
When I do the same in corona color picker, the color is dark. But if I add Corona Color Correct and enter gamma 2.2 into the frame instead of the standard 1.1, then the color matches.

It seems that the corona Color Picker does not put gamma 2.2 by default.
I don't know if it's a bug or I just didn't understand what I did wrong. But this has not been observed before. The colors in both color pickers were the same.

2021-10-13, 09:15:50
Reply #155

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the latest build, Corona Image Editor does not load CXR, crashes when loading.

2021-10-13, 10:16:55
Reply #156

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
In the latest build, Corona Image Editor does not load CXR, crashes when loading.
Hi,

I just tried with a simple cxr and it worked fine. Can you send over your CXR file and we'll investigate.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-10-13, 10:38:08
Reply #157

karnak

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Why are the colors in corona color picker as if with the wrong gamma? I enter the color data (HSV) 147/51/53 and in the standard color picker - the color is what you need.
When I do the same in corona color picker, the color is dark. But if I add Corona Color Correct and enter gamma 2.2 into the frame instead of the standard 1.1, then the color matches.

I don't know if it's a bug or I just didn't understand what I did wrong. But this has not been observed before. The colors in both color pickers were the same.

To have gamma correction on the Default Color Picker you have to go to Customize > Preferences... > Gamma and LUT.
Settings:
Enable Gamma/LUT Correction = check
Gamma = 2.2
Affect Color Selectors = check
Affect Material Editor = check

The Corona Improved Picker instead uses the checkbox sRGB to determine whether the numeric values you enter must be interpreted with or without gamma applied. There is a tooltip with further explanation if you hover the mouse on the sRGB checkbox.
Corona Academy (May 2017)

2021-10-13, 10:42:36
Reply #158

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow! "Added cdecal object - projects a selected texture on any geometry"? I love it.
Thank you!

But could you please add the support to the "use real-world Scale" for maps in Mask source "From material" use?
One more thing, it would be awesome to have a target for cdecol gizmo.
Decals are amazing, I wish we had separate button at the Corona Toolbar for CDecal object and the ability to add corona displacement modifier on top of CoronaDecal object, or simple override displacement spinners in CDecal parameters itself

P.S. And maybe in the future it will be cool to have an opportunity to assign "Corona Decal Modifier" to a custom geometry with proper UV coordinates, creating a "projection shell" to project for example stitches on the fabric, using one long stripe of polygons, detached from the original mesh
Thanks for the feedback so far, glad you like the new feature. I have logged it in our system and we'll let you know when we have more information.

Meanwhile we have created a dedicated Decals playground where we would be really happy to see some examples and continue to discuss feedback there. https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34613.0

Thanks!

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-1046)

2021-10-13, 10:57:34
Reply #159

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

here's your answer (look at the attachment).

2021-10-13, 10:59:48
Reply #160

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just tried with a simple cxr and it worked fine. Can you send over your CXR file and we'll investigate.

Thanks,

Rowan

Hello Rowan.
When installing daily-2021-10-12 I stop opening all the CXR, that I have stored from previous versions of Corona, to the latest.
Installing daily-2021-09-30 everything works well.

Upload 1634116118_living-room02-004.cxr.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-13, 11:09:47 by Feodor »

2021-10-13, 11:06:09
Reply #161

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
someting like this?
+1
It's planed on trello: Geopattern

2021-10-13, 14:00:25
Reply #162

KOGODIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, please could you provide a scene and some reproduction steps so I can replicate these crashes?

Instructions on how to do this can be found in my signature.

We are aware of this issue and looking into it.

(Report ID=CRMAX-1036)

Hi,

We are still working really hard on this, the reason it's not in the dailies yet is that it's not ready yet. Unfortunately I can't give you a timescale of when it will hit the dailies other than hopefully soon :)

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan, sorry for the late response, the scene tis the same i've uploaded before, had to go back to 7 to render it because it freezes continuously and it crashes ma with render, thins that didn't happened with 7, no extra memory consumption, actually it uses less than 80 gb of ram with displacement active, when i try to use latest build it crashes on interactive or it crashes when render, more than 200 gb of memory and no displacement active so its a huge difference of behavior.

if you need me to upload it again just let me know.
thanks.

2021-10-13, 14:30:56
Reply #163

henk95

• Users
    • View Profile

here's your answer (look at the attachment).

No, I tried turning on the srgb switch. Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. Also gamma 2.2 is enabled in the settings, Affect color selectors/AFFECT Material editor are also enabled.

The colors in different color pickers differ, despite the fact that the above parameters are enabled. If you turn it off, there is an effect, but in the opposite direction, the colors become even darker.
I am almost sure that the exposed gamma 2.2 does not apply to the Corona Color Picker. That's why the colors exposed through it are darker. And if you add a gamma, 2.2, to the color displayed in Corona Color Picker, then everything becomes correct.

2021-10-13, 14:59:31
Reply #164

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here's the proof that sRGB switch is working as intended. Just remember that you need to look at RGB values, not at HSV, because for some strange reason Corona shows the former with respect to sRGB switch, but the latter are always displayed in linear.

2021-10-13, 16:03:16
Reply #165

henk95

• Users
    • View Profile
Here's the proof that sRGB switch is working as intended. Just remember that you need to look at RGB values, not at HSV, because for some strange reason Corona shows the former with respect to sRGB switch, but the latter are always displayed in linear.

Oh, I think I got it. HSV is not always converted to RGB correctly. But RGB and sRGB in the color picker and corona color picker are the same colors. Thank you very much!

2021-10-13, 16:19:42
Reply #166

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No problem!

2021-10-14, 10:23:32
Reply #167

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Rowan.
When installing daily-2021-10-12 I stop opening all the CXR, that I have stored from previous versions of Corona, to the latest.
Installing daily-2021-09-30 everything works well.

Upload 1634116118_living-room02-004.cxr.
Hi,

Thanks, I reproduced this with your file. I have reported it to the dev team for further investigation.

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-1054)

2021-10-14, 10:36:26
Reply #168

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan, sorry for the late response, the scene tis the same i've uploaded before, had to go back to 7 to render it because it freezes continuously and it crashes ma with render, thins that didn't happened with 7, no extra memory consumption, actually it uses less than 80 gb of ram with displacement active, when i try to use latest build it crashes on interactive or it crashes when render, more than 200 gb of memory and no displacement active so its a huge difference of behavior.

if you need me to upload it again just let me know.
thanks.

Hi,

You mentioned that this is happening also on some small scenes. Would you be able to send one of these through along with some reproduction steps and/or a video?

I have been testing your scene on the last daily build (2021-10-12) and it doesn't seem to crash for me.

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-10-14, 11:50:37
Reply #169

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
hi
it seems to me that this function is completely useless / erroneous
the idea was that we could select one or several objects in the scene that will generate caustics - this will allow us to save CPU resources, not to count caustics from everything that has reflection-refraction, and now in the PBR era, all materials have reflection, count caustic from only one or more objects that really need caustic, such as water in a pool, glass in a house, vase on a table
I do not understand where you can apply the function - disable receiving caustics. This does not save CPU resources and does not allow the caustics to be calculated faster.
We need a function to disable / enable caustics for unnecessary / needed objects / materials
thanks

PS. thanks for CoronaDecal - the first tests look great!

2021-10-14, 11:58:37
Reply #170

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
hi
the idea was that we could select one or several objects in the scene that will generate caustics - this will allow us to save CPU resources, not to count caustics from everything that has reflection-refraction, and now in the PBR era, all materials have reflection, count caustic from only one or more objects that really need caustic, such as water in a pool, glass in a house, vase on a table
I do not understand where you can apply the function - disable receiving caustics. This does not save CPU resources and does not allow the caustics to be calculated faster.
We need a function to disable / enable caustics for unnecessary / needed objects / materials
thanks

Right now it looks more like an artistic tool rather than CPU helper. It allows you to control that you only want caustics to appear on certain objects e.g. a pool surround, ceiling, table etc. But I have to agree that it feels a backwards solution. In practice we're going to need to always exclude the entire scene models, and then selectively allow those few objects to remain. But as you build/change/increase the scene complexity as you work you're going to definitely forget to keep adding all the undesirable objects to the exclude list. It should just be reversed to an Include list.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-14, 14:57:30
Reply #171

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Right now it looks more like an artistic tool rather than CPU helper. It allows you to control that you only want caustics to appear on certain objects e.g. a pool surround, ceiling, table etc. But I have to agree that it feels a backwards solution. In practice we're going to need to always exclude the entire scene models, and then selectively allow those few objects to remain. But as you build/change/increase the scene complexity as you work you're going to definitely forget to keep adding all the undesirable objects to the exclude list. It should just be reversed to an Include list.

now I cannot use caustics in my exterior scenes, even my AMD 3970X cannot cope with it
if I turn on caustics, the rendering speed drops several times, there is almost no caustics itself, or these are different spots, it looks like there are not enough photons in the scene for caustics, there are too many objects with reflections and they do not have enough rays to form caustics
I do not want to render caustics on all objects in the scene, I want to be able to select the object that I need and let my CPU calculate caustics only from this object
this will remove unnecessary load from the CPU, increase the speed and quality of caustics
Now I can hide the display of caustics from some objects, but why do I need it - if my PC cannot calculate it
to hide the caustics from the object - first you need to calculate the caustics)))
where is the logic?
now I can only get caustics on tests with teapots or hide everything from the scene and leave only the elements that will generate caustics and those on which caustics will be displayed - that is, to show the caustics in the picture, I need to make 2 final renders and collect it in layers in photoshop
now caustics are useless for me, too much extra time and actions )

2021-10-14, 14:59:31
Reply #172

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
there is another problem - many (almost all) HDRIs do not have a sufficient brightness range, this makes the lighting not very good and in order to improve it, you need to use CoronaColorCorrect, increase the brightness and decrease the gamma - this makes the light better, but also does the HDRI not pretty for the background.
To fix it now - you have to have 2 variants of the same HDRI
The first is the HDRI setting for scene lighting
and the second one is HDRI configured to use slots with background replacement

I propose to make a new environment shader based on CoronaColorCorrect, which will have the same functions as CoronaColorCorrect, but there will be 2 versions inside!
The first set of settings for example will only work for lighting, reflection and refraction.
the second set of settings will work in the background,

we will put this shader in the environment slot and it will work separately for lighting / reflection / refraction / - the first settings and separately for the background - the second settings.
it will be very cool - we will be able to adjust the lighting without breaking the background, when for good light it is necessary to strongly distort the gamma or increase the brightness, while the HDRI, due to the gamma and brightness settings, looks terrible in the background

There is also a nice Volume effect function in CoronaSky, which only works with the corona sun so far, but most of the CG Artist uses HDRI for lighting, which makes the Volume effect function unavailable for them.
I suggest adding a Volume effect to the new environment shader so that we can use this cool effect in conjunction with HDRI lighting.

2021-10-14, 15:03:04
Reply #173

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Not sure what you're doing in your scenes but we're not having anywhere near the trouble you seem to be with caustics: https://www.recentspaces.com/latham-pools-collection

I'm not going to pretend that we've had no issues with caustics and the workflow because we have, and of course bugs, there are plenty of them, but you can work around them if you're careful, and the results can be spot-on. As you can see above we've happily rendered tonnes of stuff including 4k Cinemagraphs and all sorts.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the workflow with exclude list isn't backwards, because I agree that it is. But... the new system still seems a great step forward by the devs. I think if you can barely achieve caustics on teapots right now then you have bigger challenges to solve first perhaps.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-14, 15:10:00
Reply #174

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
there is another problem [..]

There are enviroment overrides for direct, reflect and refract, there is also ray switch material. All the tools are already there to use different maps for lighting, reflections and background. Why would anyone want such frankenstein color correct map that you're proposing? That makes no sense to me.

2021-10-14, 16:16:08
Reply #175

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hi
thanks

Hi,
do you know that you can switch it to include list in the exclude dialog, like all similar lists?
Rendering is magic.

2021-10-14, 17:23:03
Reply #176

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Hi,
do you know that you can switch it to include list in the exclude dialog, like all similar lists?
Hi Ondra
is there a way to select an object on which the caustics will be calculated?
for example, here we have 4 mirror objects - can we make the caustics generated from only one?
the function that is now, it works on the adoption of caustics, if I understand correctly, and not on the choice of the object that will generate
I am adding a test scene for 3dmax 2019
Thanks

2021-10-14, 17:42:00
Reply #177

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
There are enviroment overrides for direct, reflect and refract, there is also ray switch material. All the tools are already there to use different maps for lighting, reflections and background. Why would anyone want such frankenstein color correct map that you're proposing? That makes no sense to me

I know that there are slots for replacing the environment / reflection / refraction - but this is not very convenient
you need to have 2 slots in the editor material, where you will have 2 variants of one and the same HDRI which will have different settings via CoronaColorCorrect
1 CoronaColorCorrect will be adjusted for light
2 CoronaColorCorrect will be set to replace the background
it is not very convenient to have 2 separate CoronaColorCorrect and it wastes more time
it is faster and more convenient to have both settings for both the light and the background in one shader, haven't you thought about that?
It is faster to work, takes up fewer slots in the material editor and it is more convenient to control

and how do you set up the volum effect for the HDRI which currently only works with the Corona sun?

I can tweak the effects through volumetric BUT we always strive for convenience and speed, adjusting the volum effect in Corona sun is easy and fast, and I would like to have this option for HDRI, because it is fast

2021-10-14, 17:46:12
Reply #178

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Not sure what you're doing in your scenes but we're not having anywhere near the trouble you seem to be with caustics: https://www.recentspaces.com/latham-pools-collection

I'm not going to pretend that we've had no issues with caustics and the workflow because we have, and of course bugs, there are plenty of them, but you can work around them if you're careful, and the results can be spot-on. As you can see above we've happily rendered tonnes of stuff including 4k Cinemagraphs and all sorts.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the workflow with exclude list isn't backwards, because I agree that it is. But... the new system still seems a great step forward by the devs. I think if you can barely achieve caustics on teapots right now then you have bigger challenges to solve first perhaps.

do you calculate the caustics on the final render, with all the objects at once?
or do an additional render, where you hide unnecessary objects and render only objects that generate and receive caustics?

2021-10-15, 06:50:42
Reply #179

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

This changes everything! Haha... no, we didn't spot it. To be honest we've been going on Yuriy's remarks as we've not even had a chance to install the latest DB to check this out yet, that's a job for today. I would say though that to avoid confusion why not set it to Include mode in the first place? You could build in an error message to appear if you enable caustics but have nothing in the Include list, so the user has an idea why they're not seeing anything.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-15, 08:24:30
Reply #180

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
Hi Ondra
is there a way to select an object on which the caustics will be calculated?
for example, here we have 4 mirror objects - can we make the caustics generated from only one?
the function that is now, it works on the adoption of caustics, if I understand correctly, and not on the choice of the object that will generate
I am adding a test scene for 3dmax 2019
Thanks
Hi,

At the moment that's currently how it works. It is not possible to stop the caustics being generated from an object, it's only possible to stop objects receiving caustics.

We'll log this feedback and I'll let you know when we have some more information.

Rowan

2021-10-15, 14:33:10
Reply #181

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Hi,

At the moment that's currently how it works. It is not possible to stop the caustics being generated from an object, it's only possible to stop objects receiving caustics.

We'll log this feedback and I'll let you know when we have some more information.

Rowan

Hi
Thanks
It's a good news

I wrote my proposal on caustics a long time ago, then I was told that the idea is good and will be implemented later.
A lot of time has passed and I can see on the board in trello the item - "Include / exclude for caustics"
My first thought - is great! you finally did it! but after reading the description of the function, I was disappointed.
I hope you will make this feature soon.
as well as the new tone mapping, color spaces - we have been asking all this for not the first year.
I would like to see great development in the future.
Corona is an excellent engine, but unfortunately its development is extremely slow now ((

2021-10-15, 16:01:22
Reply #182

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The light leaks or "v-ray splotches" ;) are fixed in the latest daily build. Please try it out and let me know if you have any further issues. (Latest Build: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33839.msg190979#msg190979)

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-10-15, 16:02:34
Reply #183

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Fixed in the latest daily build, let me know if you have some more issues with this. (Latest build: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33839.msg190979#msg190979)

Rowan

2021-10-15, 20:09:52
Reply #184

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I found another mistake, when adding refraction in the physical material, something abnormal happens in the scene. I have met this glitch in my other projects, but this one is the most hardcore!

Found the root of the problem of this error:
In the Render settings, when the "refl/refr override" function is enabled

Sending the scene
« Last Edit: 2021-10-15, 23:09:51 by Feodor »

2021-10-15, 22:09:11
Reply #185

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And I found another mistake by accident. It is ancient, as it exists in both physical and non-physical materials. Incorrectly interacts IOR reflection in two-dimensional objects.

2021-10-18, 23:40:11
Reply #186

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Faced with a limitation that is not described in "Known bugs and limitations". SSS does not emit light.
Is this a known problem, or am I doing something wrong?

2021-10-19, 12:33:06
Reply #187

GeorgeK

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • George
    • View Profile
And I found another mistake by accident. It is ancient, as it exists in both physical and non-physical materials. Incorrectly interacts IOR reflection in two-dimensional objects.

This is actually a pretty strange one, granted it breaks under certain circumstances (0 thickness plane). I am reporting it to see if it's a limitation or if it can be improved.

(Report ID=CRMAX-1062)

Faced with a limitation that is not described in "Known bugs and limitations". SSS does not emit light.
Is this a known problem, or am I doing something wrong?

You will have to add some value of refraction for caustics or light to pass through, but I believe using Thin-shell with thin absorption color might be a better choice.

Hi, I found another mistake, when adding refraction in the physical material, something abnormal happens in the scene. I have met this glitch in my other projects, but this one is the most hardcore!

Found the root of the problem of this error:
In the Render settings, when the "refl/refr override" function is enabled

Sending the scene

This is a NaN error, thank you for uploading the scene I found it.

(Repord ID=CRMAX-1073)

« Last Edit: 2021-10-21, 14:27:36 by GeorgeK »

2021-10-19, 14:33:20
Reply #188

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
DB 2021-10-15    IR + Forest Pack 7 = crash
Max 2021.3

2021-10-19, 15:15:31
Reply #189

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Max 2021.3
Hi,

Please can you send the scene and some reproduction steps over?

We really want to investigate this, but we need more information.

Pretty please follow this guide when reporting bugs to us: https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402983255313-How-to-report-issues-3ds-Max- it will make it much quicker and easier for us to investigate and fix the issue.

Thanks,

Rowan
« Last Edit: 2021-10-19, 15:27:19 by rowmanns »

2021-10-20, 15:40:03
Reply #190

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Max 2021.3
Hi,

Please can you send the scene and some reproduction steps over?

We really want to investigate this, but we need more information.

Pretty please follow this guide when reporting bugs to us: https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402983255313-How-to-report-issues-3ds-Max- it will make it much quicker and easier for us to investigate and fix the issue.

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi
My Windows 10 has updated and IR+FP is working fine now. Sorry, that was something on my side

2021-10-20, 17:48:18
Reply #191

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
My Windows 10 has updated and IR+FP is working fine now. Sorry, that was something on my side

Hi,

Ok that's strange, let me know if you experience issues again.

Rowan

2021-10-21, 12:52:04
Reply #192

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
New CoronaDecal : if decal material have displacement, displacement of support objects are disable.

Regards

2021-10-21, 18:15:52
Reply #193

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I'm sorry to post this without any evidence, but I'm just reaching out in case this is a known issue:

Has anyone else experienced bad render quality after switching to the latest daily (15/10/2021)?

I updated from daily 06/09/2021 and immediately noticed two interior scenes I was working on became very very splotchy (light leaks and dark spots in corners). I didn't have time to fuck around as I had deadlines (I know it's not advised to be updating mid-project but Corona is usually so damn stable that it's often tempting) so I reverted back to Sept 06 version and all is fine again.

I'm asking as I'd like to upgrade again (decals has me hooked already) but don't want to mess around again with poor quality. Is this a known issue somehow or has anyone else reported such findings?

Thanks.

2021-10-22, 09:41:52
Reply #194

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to post this without any evidence, but I'm just reaching out in case this is a known issue:

Has anyone else experienced bad render quality after switching to the latest daily (15/10/2021)?

I updated from daily 06/09/2021 and immediately noticed two interior scenes I was working on became very very splotchy (light leaks and dark spots in corners). I didn't have time to fuck around as I had deadlines (I know it's not advised to be updating mid-project but Corona is usually so damn stable that it's often tempting) so I reverted back to Sept 06 version and all is fine again.

I'm asking as I'd like to upgrade again (decals has me hooked already) but don't want to mess around again with poor quality. Is this a known issue somehow or has anyone else reported such findings?

Thanks.
Hi,

The light leaks and splotches should have been fixed in the build from 15/10/2021. Maybe you will need to regenerate any secondary GI caches.

If you are still experiencing issues please let me know, and if possible submit a scene so we can investigate.

Rowan

2021-10-22, 09:48:50
Reply #195

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

Thanks.
Hi,

The light leaks and splotches should have been fixed in the build from 15/10/2021. Maybe you will need to regenerate any secondary GI caches.

If you are still experiencing issues please let me know, and if possible submit a scene so we can investigate.

Rowan

Ah! Great to hear. My bad, I actually installed daily Oct 12, not 15 as I said. So should be all good.

Thanks mate.

2021-10-22, 11:42:32
Reply #196

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Quick test with the new Caustics include/exclude: These are all the Caustics element:

Great progress! But some thoughts and issues:

As you can see the caustics are significantly reduced on all objects not in the "include" list (the pool geometry/water etc.), but they're actually still receiving caustics, if you look at the exposure-cranked versions on the right. I think this might be because they are still appearing on reflective objects? So in other words all those other objects that are excluded might not be DIRECTLY receiving caustics but they are still indirectly reflecting them maybe. I think this is not ideal as really the point is to exclude them totally as a visual control.

Also since this is working through include/exclude list it doesn't work at all through XREFs which is a productivity/management killer. Ideally this would work through GBuffer ID and Layer system.

Rendertimes were pretty much identical with/without exclusions (which is expected I guess, but not ideal).
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-22, 12:11:14
Reply #197

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quick test with the new Caustics include/exclude: These are all the Caustics element:

Great progress! But some thoughts and issues:

As you can see the caustics are significantly reduced on all objects not in the "include" list (the pool geometry/water etc.), but they're actually still receiving caustics, if you look at the exposure-cranked versions on the right. I think this might be because they are still appearing on reflective objects? So in other words all those other objects that are excluded might not be DIRECTLY receiving caustics but they are still indirectly reflecting them maybe. I think this is not ideal as really the point is to exclude them totally as a visual control.

Also since this is working through include/exclude list it doesn't work at all through XREFs which is a productivity/management killer. Ideally this would work through GBuffer ID and Layer system.

Rendertimes were pretty much identical with/without exclusions (which is expected I guess, but not ideal).

Hi Alex

Perhaps this is similar to what I raised a while back.  I noticed Caustics we still calculated even when turned off - perhaps the same thing/similar to what you're seeing here?  Here's the thread with responses from devs https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31655.msg178961#msg178961

2021-10-22, 12:22:28
Reply #198

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
I think it could be that, yeh. Although I think with an exclude you'd definitely expect and need it to act the way you would expect, i.e. be truly black/null. Hopefully the devs can find a solution, even a hacky one :)
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-22, 16:29:00
Reply #199

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Did anybody notice unusual freezing when rendering is on and you try to interact with VFB? I'm using Oct 12 build and i start to get those freezes very often, somthing that almost never happened before. At the moment i don't have time to roll back to v7 and see if the issue would be gone, but i thought i will ask on the forum if anyone else having similar issues.

2021-10-23, 12:13:07
Reply #200

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did anybody notice unusual freezing when rendering is on and you try to interact with VFB? I'm using Oct 12 build and i start to get those freezes very often, somthing that almost never happened before. At the moment i don't have time to roll back to v7 and see if the issue would be gone, but i thought i will ask on the forum if anyone else having similar issues.

same with latest daily build, and DR rendering, especially with it receiving passes. on th epositive the compute ris no longer stuttering.

2021-10-24, 01:38:48
Reply #201

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio

same with latest daily build, and DR rendering, especially with it receiving passes. on th epositive the compute ris no longer stuttering.

This is something that me and someone else already logged here and this is the reason I am not using the 2 last daily builds unfortunately.
I hope it ca be fixed soon.
& freelance 3D Artist.

2021-10-24, 11:27:09
Reply #202

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm too hoping for a prompt fix.

Request: Corona decals are not accessible through search 3ds max commands tool, default keyboard shortcut X. Please address it. And i think it would be nice if create decal button would be added to Corona toolbar.

2021-10-24, 18:07:02
Reply #203

larry3d

• Users
    • View Profile
I have 3dmax freezes during interactive rendering. When I switch between cameras or just go to the material editor

2021-10-25, 09:30:27
Reply #204

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it could be that, yeh. Although I think with an exclude you'd definitely expect and need it to act the way you would expect, i.e. be truly black/null. Hopefully the devs can find a solution, even a hacky one :)
Hi Alex,

Thanks for bringing this up. We'll look into it :)

Rowan.

2021-10-25, 09:33:36
Reply #205

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I have 3dmax freezes during interactive rendering. When I switch between cameras or just go to the material editor
Hi Guys,

I haven't noticed this. Can you send over a scene where this is reproduceable?

Rowan

2021-10-25, 09:34:06
Reply #206

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Request: Corona decals are not accessible through search 3ds max commands tool, default keyboard shortcut X. Please address it. And i think it would be nice if create decal button would be added to Corona toolbar.
Will log this, thanks :)

2021-10-25, 22:21:38
Reply #207

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If the topic has already gone about Caustics, they began to notice empty squares.

2021-10-27, 14:46:57
Reply #208

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Larry3d,

Can you send this scene over to us?

Instructions on how to do so can be found in my signature.

Rowan

2021-10-29, 16:33:42
Reply #209

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, any news about Tone Mapping? :)

2021-10-30, 10:33:57
Reply #210

larry3d

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Larry3d,

Can you send this scene over to us?

Instructions on how to do so can be found in my signature.

Rowan
Hi! I found a solution in another branch (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33948.0). The problem was solved by converting all bitmaps to corona bitmaps

2021-11-02, 09:22:57
Reply #211

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, any news about Tone Mapping? :)

I'm interesting too. V-Ray has ACES already a year. Geo Pattern - around 8 years. I think tone mapping will go to the pool of ideas as geo pattern again.

2021-11-02, 10:18:39
Reply #212

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
there will be a big update in november, we are preparing a blog post. Stay tuned.
Rendering is magic.

2021-11-02, 14:33:44
Reply #213

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
there will be a big update in november, we are preparing a blog post. Stay tuned.
look forward to
I hope it will be something really big and interesting )

2021-11-03, 09:55:54
Reply #214

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Great to hear, thank you for reply! Can't wait.

2021-11-03, 12:43:25
Reply #215

GraceKellyPerfect

• Active Users
    • View Profile
this is exciting

2021-11-05, 11:39:47
Reply #216

Kris H

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If the topic has already gone about Caustics, they began to notice empty squares.

Hi Feodor,

Could you please send us your scene?

Thank you in advance,
Kris

2021-11-08, 13:56:56
Reply #217

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
Just noticed this in the newest Corona 8 Daily Build changelog:

"Removed Disable Displacement Maps button from Corona Converter - it is much better to globally disable displacement through the render setup menu"

Let me not agree with the above statement that it's much better to globally disable displacement through the render setup.
I find disabling displacement maps through Corona Converter very convenient.
Imagine the scene with large number of imported assets from 3dsky etc, as it's often the case, materials in these models are usually far from perfect, often having unnecessary displacement on.
In such case I can batch disable all disp maps through Corona Converter (without a need to go through hundreds of shaders to find the one that causes i.e excessive RAM consumption in the scene), and simply turn it on again only for specific materials that I do require it to by ON.

Why remove such a functionality? To me it starts to feel like corona converter is heading in the wrong direction.

2021-11-08, 14:06:53
Reply #218

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Let me not agree with the above statement that it's much better to globally disable displacement through the render setup.
I find disabling displacement maps through Corona Converter very convenient.
Imagine the scene with large number of imported assets from 3dsky etc, as it's often the case, materials in these models are usually far from perfect, often having unnecessary displacement on.
In such case I can batch disable all disp maps through Corona Converter (without a need to go through hundreds of shaders to find the one that causes i.e excessive RAM consumption in the scene), and simply turn it on again only for specific materials that I do require it to by ON.

Why remove such a functionality? To me it starts to feel like corona converter is heading in the wrong direction.

I think the guys from the Corona team meant this function
it globally disables and enables displacement in the entire scene

2021-11-08, 14:14:55
Reply #219

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the guys from the Corona team meant this function
it globally disables and enables displacement in the entire scene

Hi Yuriy,
I know the Corona team meant the function from your screenshot.
What I'm saying is that these are two different things. If I disable displacement globally from the render setup window, it simply means all my shaders render without it.
Disabling displacement function from current version of Corona Converter allows me to first disable displacement on all my shaders, and then turn it on again for only some selected ones.
This is very helpful in debugging the scene and getting rid of unnecessary displacement from objects you don't want it to be on, while preserving it on the objects that should have it.
You simply cannot do the same with the render settings displacement checkbox.
« Last Edit: 2021-11-08, 14:20:45 by Ink Visual »

2021-11-08, 14:19:10
Reply #220

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Hi Yuriy,
I know the Corona team meant the function from your screenshot.
What I'm saying is that these are two different things. If I disable displacement globally from the render setup window, it simply means all my shaders render without it.
Disabling displacement function from current version of Corona Converter allows me to first disable displacement on all my shaders, and then turn it on again for only some selected ones.
This is very helpful in debugging the scene and getting rid of unnecessary displacement from objects you don't want it to be on, while preserving it on the objects that should have it.
You simply cannot do the same with the render settings displacement checkbox.

ah, sorry, I misunderstood
yes it really makes sense

2021-11-08, 14:50:15
Reply #221

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I understand it right, now we no longer have the ability to apply fake round edges on thin objects as it was possible with legacy behaviour? If yes, then I am categorically against such an innovation :D

2021-11-09, 10:44:00
Reply #222

karnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quote from: Daily Builds Changelog 08/11/2021
Physical material - fixed specular values not working properly below 0.5

Can you please explain this fix? What was the issue?

2021-11-09, 14:18:49
Reply #223

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Quote from: Daily Builds Changelog 08/11/2021
Physical material - fixed specular values not working properly below 0.5

Can you please explain this fix? What was the issue?
Hi,

This got broken a few daily builds ago. Basically values under 0.5 rendered as if they were set to 0.5.

Cheers,

Rowan

2021-11-09, 15:44:35
Reply #224

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good updates with decals and displacement, thanks.
Could you please add the Decal button to the Corona toolbar.

2021-11-09, 16:17:02
Reply #225

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Good updates with decals and displacement, thanks.
Could you please add the Decal button to the Corona toolbar.
We're planning on adding it to the toolbar, stay tuned :)

Rowan

2021-11-10, 08:16:57
Reply #226

karnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This got broken a few daily builds ago. Basically values under 0.5 rendered as if they were set to 0.5.

Thank you :)

2021-11-10, 19:39:06
Reply #227

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- Added option to drag&drop Bitmap, CoronaBitmap, or a bitmap file from windows explorer onto the "Fit to Bitmap" button of DecalObject. This triggers the sizing, same as if user clicked the button and selected the same texture.
I'm afraid this isn't working for me guys. If I drag and drop any bitmap it doesn't fit to its proportions.

- Added the option to drop bitmaps from Windows explorer directly into our material slots
This one is great!

I think it would also be useful to add a similar function to drag and drop any bitmap from windows explorer to CoronaDecal's mask source map slot.

Also, am i missing the decal order function or will it be added later?
« Last Edit: 2021-11-11, 00:39:13 by Dalton Watts »

2021-11-10, 23:11:04
Reply #228

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello.
Is it possible to implement snap to react to the Decal object?

2021-11-11, 09:04:48
Reply #229

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
- Added option to drag&drop Bitmap, CoronaBitmap, or a bitmap file from windows explorer onto the "Fit to Bitmap" button of DecalObject. This triggers the sizing, same as if user clicked the button and selected the same texture.
I'm afraid this isn't working for me guys. If I drag and drop any bitmap it doesn't fit to its proportions.

- Added the option to drop bitmaps from Windows explorer directly into our material slots
This one is great!

I think it would also be useful to add a similar function to drag and drop any bitmap from windows explorer to CoronaDecal's mask source map slot.

Also, am i missing the decal order function or will it be added later?
Hi,

It looks like the 1st thing is indeed not working. We have it logged and will fix it.

We also, have a couple of issues logged with ordering. Could you elaborate on what you have in mind?

Cheers,

Rowan

(Internal ID=789448091)

2021-11-11, 23:52:49
Reply #230

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, rowmanns!

I've put my suggestions over at CoronaDecals Playground! just to make things tidier.

2021-11-12, 23:43:15
Reply #231

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This last daily build also seems to have introduced a bug. I'm unable to delete a snapshot from render history without 3ds max crashing.

2021-11-15, 09:22:43
Reply #232

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This last daily build also seems to have introduced a bug. I'm unable to delete a snapshot from render history without 3ds max crashing.
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce it and I've sent it over to the devs for further investigation.

Cheers,

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-1101)

2021-11-17, 13:11:43
Reply #233

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page

it looks amazing!
I hope all this stays with us and gets into the final version of VBF, the whole list of functions that we see now!
all functions can be added several times and mixed like layers in Photoshop? Can I use several Luts in the picture and mix them up, how does it work now in Virey?
do we really have Aces? ))

PS. can't wait to test already
« Last Edit: 2021-11-17, 13:15:08 by Yuriy Bochkaryov »

2021-11-17, 14:43:47
Reply #234

TomG

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Please note that depends on what you mean by "do we have ACES" - what is shown is the color curve for ACES, nothing more (ie no changes to output formats etc.)

2021-11-17, 16:08:38
Reply #235

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom,

I'd like to suggest a color picker for white balance like in photoshop's camera raw filter.

2021-11-17, 16:12:09
Reply #236

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Tom,

I'd like to suggest a color picker for white balance like in photoshop's camera raw filter.

It's already there. The second icon in the color picker, next to the regular one.

2021-11-17, 16:20:30
Reply #237

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom,

It's already there. The second icon in the color picker, next to the regular one.

Thanks Maru. Are you getting that color picker by clicking on color tint?
I think it would be more obvious if there's a color picker next to white balance, since you're changing the frame buffer UI. It would be more user friendly in my opinion. Just a thought.

2021-11-17, 23:29:15
Reply #238

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Please note that depends on what you mean by "do we have ACES" - what is shown is the color curve for ACES, nothing more (ie no changes to output formats etc.)

So we are seeing a kind of ACES emulation, then?

2021-11-18, 07:06:45
Reply #239

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

i get an error on the latest daily when activate the refraction override settings in the scene tab (set to black)

2021-11-18, 08:42:30
Reply #240

GeorgeK

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • George
    • View Profile
Hi guys

i get an error on the latest daily when activate the refraction override settings in the scene tab (set to black)

Hi, can you please clarify what type of error, is it NaN related? If possible, can you share a simple reproduction scene with us?

2021-11-18, 09:42:58
Reply #241

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes its a Nan error.  I will try to upload it tomorrow

2021-11-18, 09:53:15
Reply #242

GeorgeK

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • George
    • View Profile
yes its a Nan error.  I will try to upload it tomorrow

Perfect, thanks! I believe we've reproduced and logged that one, but please do share your scene with us as well, as it might have a different reproduction.

2021-11-18, 14:20:18
Reply #243

kino_unico

• Active Users
    • View Profile
random mode will be implemented in the triplanartexture?
by ID, face, element, instance, etc.
« Last Edit: 2021-11-18, 14:25:05 by kino_unico »

2021-11-18, 17:11:20
Reply #244

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Tom,

I think it would be more obvious if there's a color picker next to white balance, since you're changing the frame buffer UI. It would be more user friendly in my opinion. Just a thought.

Correct. Use color tint for this and click on the inverse picker to specify which color should be considered as white.
This is in Corona 7 and older, I did not mean Corona 8 here.

2021-11-18, 17:16:23
Reply #245

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile

So we are seeing a kind of ACES emulation, then?

just the tone mapping part.
Marcin Piotrowski

2021-11-18, 18:48:58
Reply #246

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hi Tom,

Correct. Use color tint for this and click on the inverse picker to specify which color should be considered as white.
This is in Corona 7 and older, I did not mean Corona 8 here.

it's a bad idea to use a COLOR TINT to adjust the white balance. I would pay attention to how this is implemented in Fstorm, it's really very convenient ;)

2021-11-19, 09:45:45
Reply #247

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Out of interest, has some development been made on the bright white spot error when using reflective/refractive override?

I see that I have a scene where this doesn't seem to be a problem...

However I'm now getting some weird bugs (in the IR at least) when I switch around my HDRi and reflective/refractive/direct environments. The whole scene gets very very overblown white and I can't do anything to fix it other than close the scene and open again.

Is this known? Is this all related?

I'm using daily Oct 15. See attachment. Thanks!

2021-11-22, 12:53:52
Reply #248

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
hi corona team
When will you give us another DB with a new tone mapping?
we have been waiting for this for so long, I can't wait to try it))

2021-11-22, 13:05:32
Reply #249

TomG

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
When will you give us another DB with a new tone mapping?

As soon as it is ready :) Can't project or estimate dates of features in dailies beyond that - you'll know the date, once it shows in the changelog ;)

2021-11-22, 13:10:30
Reply #250

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
As soon as it is ready :) Can't project or estimate dates of features in dailies beyond that - you'll know the date, once it shows in the changelog ;)

Thanks TomG )

2021-11-22, 15:55:36
Reply #251

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Out of interest, has some development been made on the bright white spot error when using reflective/refractive override?

However I'm now getting some weird bugs (in the IR at least) when I switch around my HDRi and reflective/refractive/direct environments. The whole scene gets very very overblown white and I can't do anything to fix it other than close the scene and open again.

Hi,

Issues with fireflies with overrides were fixed in the v8 dailies.

The second issue sounds strange, would you be able to provide the scene in question?

Thanks,

Rowan

2021-11-22, 19:24:48
Reply #252

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The second issue sounds strange, would you be able to provide the scene in question?

Thanks,

Rowan

Has it been fixed?
I used to complain about this error, I sent this scene.
Now the last build, while the same NaN error.

2021-11-23, 08:27:49
Reply #253

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Great news about the fireflies! Thank you.

I'm pretty under the pump with deadlines at the moment, so if the bug happens again I'll try to replicate it and send it your way. It's a very heavy scene too at the moment, so we'll see!

Thanks again for your reply.

2021-11-26, 16:17:21
Reply #254

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, rowmanns.

Thanks

Ronald
Hi,

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue on either Corona 7 HF1 or the latest daily build. Would you be able to record a a video of the issue and send it over?

Thanks,

Rowan

Yesterday at 17:10:11
Reply #255

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, any news about the new build with new toys? :)

Today at 09:25:25
Reply #256

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, any news about the new build with new toys? :)
We're working on it ;)