Author Topic: Filtering  (Read 3647 times)

2021-03-04, 18:11:49

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does anyone else find the default filtering (High Quality Filtering) just a little bit too blurry?  I always seem to get frustrated with the lack of clarity in textures etc.

Does everyone else stick with the default or do you tend to change it something else?

I do notice this quite a bit in other peoples work on Behance etc, but then I see others and they look really crisp.

It could be bitmap filtering but I always use 0.01 on diffuse textures but even 8k textures that look crisp in Photoshop just look to soft/blurred when rendered

I'm not that technical so don't really know what contributes to the overall 'softness' of the final render.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-04, 19:14:50 by dj_buckley »

2021-03-05, 08:54:01
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-03-05, 17:02:20
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I love HQ filtering, but then again i never have problems with rendered image being too soft. Usually the more sharp rendering is, the more CGI it looks.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-05, 17:03:57
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The "blurriness" of the HQ filter is mainly visible at the beginning of the rendering. If you allow more time (more passes), then it should converge to almost identical result as using the Tent filter.
You can try lowering the GI vs AA value from 16 to 8 to get more passes within the same render time. This way you should get "sharper" antialiasing faster.
Here are some examples where you can see that the differences appear mainly in the visible noise, not edge or texture sharpness: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000056115-what-is-high-quality-pixel-filtering-

Update: another example - https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/BZ4EVv
« Last Edit: 2021-03-05, 17:56:54 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-03-08, 16:02:11
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I love HQ filtering, but then again i never have problems with rendered image being too soft. Usually the more sharp rendering is, the more CGI it looks.

Agree. I used to have this problem of blurriness before HQ filtering. Now I rarely sharpen the images.
Too bad I can't use GPU denoising with it.