Author Topic: Real or Not Real: Pham Anh Vu - Lego 6957  (Read 10796 times)

2020-11-19, 00:21:13

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Having a hard time believing this is full CG. I think I see some faceting on some of the cylinders, but other than that...

Pham Anh Vu - Lego 6957

Wondering if there are other aspects of the image that are giveaways that it's CG(?)

2020-11-19, 09:21:39
Reply #1

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization
Wow, that's impressive!
I agree that only the cylindrical object in the hand of the little guy in the second image tells you that it's CG.
Now I want to find that Lego, I should have it at home in some old box :)

2020-11-19, 10:26:00
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you think the lego is impressive (which of course is), then look at Marek Denko's chess set: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/582Kgw
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-11-20, 14:07:08
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Both artworks linked above are super impressive but,

I instantly know something is CGI because they all share very similar look I named "High Quality Vintage"

- Noisy (which is photorealistic), but noisy unlike old high-tech film cameras, new cheap hipster replicas, cellphones, or DSLRs/SLRs. No camera before or today produced this kind of look.
The noise imho either has to be done correctly with far more unregularity and further image artifacts if it is supposed to simulate old film, or have smeared look of modern demoisacing algorithm from digital sensors.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-11-20, 15:48:22
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The instant giveaway for me is DOF in both cases. Attaching some crops, hope I won't get sued for a billion dollars.

Regarding the noise pattern - the one in Marek Denko's shots actually reminds me of Fujifilm noise, which actually does have an "analog camera" feeling. If it wan't for DOF, I probably wouldn't be sure if that's a render. :)

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-11-21, 07:24:29
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, but Fujifilm film didn't give you ultra-sharp crystal clear 4K image with fabulous microcontrast and details :- ), even if you could scan such clarity potentially (you can scan it 1200 DPI but doesn't mean the detail is truly there).
I have plenty of Kodak photos from childhood from pretty high end camera at that time and the look is just imcompatible with how renderings look nowadays.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-11-21, 08:51:29
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I instantly know something is CGI because they all share very similar look I named "High Quality Vintage"

Haha, that's a good name for it

2021-02-16, 12:42:26
Reply #7

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very impressive work indeed. The instant giveaway I see is the huge amount of chromatic abberation in the first shot.