Author Topic: Anyone here have experience with the new AMD Threadripper Pro's 3955wx?  (Read 3019 times)

2020-10-16, 01:06:44

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
would this be a preferabe cpu over the 3970x?

I don't understand the specs at all but here's the list of comparison...

https://gadgetversus.com/processor/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3955wx-vs-amd-ryzen-threadripper-3970x/

2020-10-16, 08:37:43
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The naming is confusing because the WX "Pro-series" are OEM only, sold currently by Lenovo as prebuilt workstations only (later by other system integrators like Dell and HP probably). You shouldn't be able to buy them separately for custom build like X-Series.

But performance is pretty identical, 16-core WX will be on par with 16-core X. You liked 16-core CPU vs 32-core CPU, so one of them will be twice as fast as the other.

The WX has 8-channel memory support, but we haven't seen if it affects Corona positively further compared to 4-channel TRX40 platform since those chips/systems just aren't readily available and popular.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-10-16, 08:48:11
Reply #2

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Yeah you're right it's a lenovo system i'm looking at... just wondering if it's worth the money or if I can get a better deal/more rendering power elsewhere.. :)

2020-10-16, 09:38:34
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The equal to 3970X is 3975WX.  The Lenovo will be undoubtedly more expensive, as is expected from enterprise prebuilt workstations.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-10-17, 00:02:17
Reply #4

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D