Author Topic: Corona Renderer 7 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 175744 times)

2021-06-25, 17:43:47
Reply #510

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Doesn't look like the 2.5D Displacement issues have been entirely fixed.  Using RC3 - see attached

You can clearly see the artifacts in the render and the corresponding mesh in the viewport that has a denser mesh where the artifacts are occuring.

This is disappointing as there is currently no alternative and what I was dreading the most.

The displacement is only subtle and it's on a flat plane, so not even curved geometry this time.

This really really needs to be fixed before you release the final version without the old displacement.

Can't you just add a subdivide or tesselate modifier?

2021-06-25, 17:46:57
Reply #511

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I could yes, but wouldn't that be adding unecessary geometry to an already RAM hungry application?  Increasing the amount of geometry isn't always practical, especially if it's a scene that's already needing to be optimized because of RAM usage.

Especially when this was said a while back from one of the team "Subdividing the plane does not matter, as Corona's displacement is adaptive and it is calculated based on the max size controlled in the Render Setup > Performance tab."

It also completely defeats the object, these are the issues we were having last time, which we've since been told have been fixed, to the point where the old displacement has been removed.  These artifacts wouldn't be visible with the old displacement, yet they clearly haven't been fixed.

To generalise - we've removed something that worked and replaced it with something that doesn't work as well.  This is the first scene I've tried it on too, on a really simple piece of geometry.  Doesn't fill me with confidence on what I'll find when I'm working on much more complex geometry.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-25, 17:52:17 by dj_buckley »

2021-06-25, 17:50:29
Reply #512

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And just for clarity that it is being caused by displacement, the middle region here is with displacement off

2021-06-25, 17:56:49
Reply #513

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't mean to disregard your comment. But I think the 2.5 displacement is so good that I many times just use it instead of a bump map.

2021-06-25, 18:02:05
Reply #514

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It may also help if I narrow it down a bit.  The artifacts are much stronger/noticeable in strong direct light, and they become more pronounced the further away from the camera they are and the more oblique the viewing angle becomes.  Could it be a screen size issue?  I'll try lowering that

Edit:  Tested lowering the screen size and makes no noticeable difference
« Last Edit: 2021-06-25, 18:15:14 by dj_buckley »

2021-06-25, 18:03:59
Reply #515

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't mean to disregard your comment. But I think the 2.5 displacement is so good that I many times just use it instead of a bump map.

Haha you're not disregarding it, you can't.  I provided the evidence.  And I'm genuinely glad you find it great.  I really want to find it great too, as I now have no choice :)

2021-06-25, 18:17:01
Reply #516

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Let us know how it goes with screen size, it could be a factor for sure if it is only far away from the camera. You could also use World size, and to avoid that affecting the whole scene could do that in a Corona Displacement Modifier so that only the problematic plane uses World Size (or, a smaller Screen Size).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-06-25, 18:19:53
Reply #517

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom

I updated the post about screen size, it made no difference.  Will try with world size on a modifier.

2021-06-25, 22:19:20
Reply #518

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Doesn't look like the 2.5D Displacement issues have been entirely fixed.  Using RC3 - see attached

You can clearly see the artifacts in the render and the corresponding mesh in the viewport that has a denser mesh where the artifacts are occuring.

This is disappointing as there is currently no alternative and what I was dreading the most.

The displacement is only subtle and it's on a flat plane, so not even curved geometry this time.

This really really needs to be fixed before you release the final version without the old displacement.

I´m suffering these very same artifacts on a couple of facades in the same scene where I rendered my Atmospheric persp Magenta tint issues. I tried to increase screen size a lot for this object, but it didin´t work. I tried to subdivide my poly object with several subdivide methods, but it just made the issue a bit more subtle. The problem I find is that it is not easy to subdivide an object that comes from external sources with very nasty topology (as this client´s Rhino file). So I end up with uneven distributed triangles density and shape, and Corona 2.5 Displacement strugles with it.

We love using Corona, it is our only engine for production, but sadly, we always complain about Displacement quality internally while we work. Maybe this is just subjective but we feel that Displacement has always been a weak point of this nice software when compared to other engines. I´d love to have an alternative method to avoid using this Displacement method, maybe something like vRay´s 2d displ. or FStorm´s parallax bump (not sure if they would help, but I´d really like to give them a try).

Later I will try to find a gap to post a crop render example of the real production shot, so you can see how visible these artifacts are on my facades.
Thanks

2021-06-25, 22:22:51
Reply #519

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I´m suffering these very same artifacts on a couple of facades in the same scene where I rendered my Atmospheric persp Magenta tint issues. I tried to increase screen size a lot for this object, but it didin´t work. I tried to subdivide my poly object with several subdivide methods, but it just made the issue a bit more subtle. The problem I find is that it is not easy to subdivide an object that comes from external sources with very nasty topology (as this client´s Rhino file). So I end up with uneven distributed triangles density and shape, and Corona 2.5 Displacement strugles with it.

We love using Corona, it is our only engine for production, but sadly, we always complain about Displacement quality internally while we work. Maybe this is just subjective but we feel that Displacement has always been a weak point of this nice software when compared to other engines. I´d love to have an alternative method to avoid using this Displacement method, maybe something like vRay´s 2d displ. or FStorm´s parallax bump (not sure if they would help, but I´d really like to give them a try).

Later I will try to find a gap to post a crop render example of the real production shot, so you can see how visible these artifacts are on my facades.
Thanks

Or Coronas original displacement that pretty much had zero issues except RAM consumption ... but it worked.  Come on guys, you said this was fixed, what scenes are you testing it on?

2021-06-25, 22:28:48
Reply #520

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks

Or Coronas original displacement that pretty much had zero issues except RAM consumption ... but it worked.  Come on guys, you said this was fixed, what scenes are you testing it on?

Yeah, original method was better on this topic, but for us RAM usage was really an issue, so we coulnd´t use that method with enough quality, so the results were poor too. We added 128gb of RAM to all PCs and even with that, we are usually too near to 80-90% of usage. Of course, we are really bad optimizing our scenes, so it is not only Coronas fault ;)

2021-06-26, 14:34:34
Reply #521

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
noticed this pixel missmatch in the center of the image while using IR.. If i copy to max window it isn't visible anymore. I tried to reproduce it in a new scene but i couldn't. So it happens when using CoronaCamera or in my specific scene.

2021-06-27, 18:42:48
Reply #522

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
noticed this pixel missmatch in the center of the image while using IR.. If i copy to max window it isn't visible anymore. I tried to reproduce it in a new scene but i couldn't. So it happens when using CoronaCamera or in my specific scene.

I've had this bug for a long time. 1+ year.

I have never bothered to report it as it doesn't worry me so much, but yes, this should be made aware of and fixed...?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-06-28, 10:53:42
Reply #523

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile

Thanks

Hi,

Please can you provide the scene in question and we'll look into it.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-06-28, 11:11:03
Reply #524

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can although it contains forest packs and I never seem to be able to archive forest pack scenes.  Leave it with me and I'll see what I cand do