Author Topic: Flicker in displacement  (Read 1906 times)

2020-05-24, 06:00:16

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG
Hello, I have a question about the displacement for animations. I am seeing a lot of flicker in materials with stronger displacement. On the Performance tab, I'm using the Screen size option. I know that this is not the best option for animations and that the World Size option solves this. The World Size option is extremely heavy and makes rendering very slow.

Is there any way around this situation? In animations, every second less is important

2020-05-25, 14:22:48
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you considered using World Size only for the objects that need it, by using the Corona Displacement Mod? That way you can have screen size for most things, but the hero objects or ones that don't work well with screen size can have the benefit of World Size.

Also, are you using 2.5D displacement, and using AutoBump, both of which should let you keep displacement "lighter" without losing detail (so you could either a) switch to World Size because it has less impact or b) increase the Screen Size accuracy in the hope that it removes the flicker).

The thing about Screen Size is the savings come from exactly this - displacement is calculated on-the-fly based on the camera, which lets the scene be lighter by calculating a lower detail of displacement outside of the camera field of view. The downside is that since it's on-the-fly and recalculated each time, it can change as the camera moves; so it's an inevitable part of Screen Size, the recalculation is what lets it be lighter, but also what means it can change between frames. So the benefit and drawback are tied together :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-05-25, 18:40:43
Reply #2

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG
I understood perfectly, I will do some tests, Thank you very much :)

2020-07-23, 00:44:57
Reply #3

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Good info thanks TomG! ;)

2020-07-23, 16:01:02
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users