Author Topic: Benchmark slowed down 3 secs over time... why  (Read 2177 times)

2020-04-29, 00:59:38

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Hey all,

Just wondering what would/might cause my benchmark results to slow down over time? I know this is broad but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2020-04-29, 08:38:57
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It shouldn't.

Although:
- There is some variations between runs, esp. since they are so short and thus depend how the CPU will react with boosting, current voltage/temperature (if your room is hotter that day that alone will reduce boost clocks),etc.. For Corona this can easily be 2-3 seconds for 20 second run, and up to 4-5 second per minute.
- In reviews, benchmarks are run at fresh OS installation, before anything else. It's natural that there will be chance of interference from competing processes, perhaps the Defender decided to scan some files, or Photos app decided on cataloguing, on Windows started compressing files, etc.. that can be million things alone.

- Occasionally software mitigations (like Spectre for Intel CPUs, etc..) are fixed through patches that slow performance down to some degree to fix the loopholes. This is rather unfortunate.. ( I personally have these fixes disabled for my i9 for example, as they're really obscure issues)

If the discrepancy is bigger, some underlying issue can be suspected (quite often memory related).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-04-29, 10:28:27
Reply #2

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
It shouldn't.

Although:
- There is some variations between runs, esp. since they are so short and thus depend how the CPU will react with boosting, current voltage/temperature (if your room is hotter that day that alone will reduce boost clocks),etc.. For Corona this can easily be 2-3 seconds for 20 second run, and up to 4-5 second per minute.
- In reviews, benchmarks are run at fresh OS installation, before anything else. It's natural that there will be chance of interference from competing processes, perhaps the Defender decided to scan some files, or Photos app decided on cataloguing, on Windows started compressing files, etc.. that can be million things alone.

- Occasionally software mitigations (like Spectre for Intel CPUs, etc..) are fixed through patches that slow performance down to some degree to fix the loopholes. This is rather unfortunate.. ( I personally have these fixes disabled for my i9 for example, as they're really obscure issues)

If the discrepancy is bigger, some underlying issue can be suspected (quite often memory related).

cool thanks mate 👍 I wont stress too much about it...