Author Topic: Render to network path & open rendered image in VFB  (Read 3162 times)

2019-10-21, 11:11:46

mancdan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm sure this may of been asked before, but I'm struggling to find anything that helps.

I want a render to save onto a network drive at render end (output path). I would also like to be able to re-open this render into the VFB (with all the included elements) at will at a later date.

I'm from a vray background, so this was all quite straightforward in the past. In Corona it seems, everything saves locally via autoback path?

Any help here?

Thanks

2019-10-21, 14:15:55
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you mean saving of history elements? Using Save from the VFB (or Save All), or save through the Max process, should be able to save to any path, network or otherwise - but you might mean some sort of autosaving?

As for opening the render later, you can't open a render in the VFB - that's what the Corona Image Editor (CIE) is for. You need to save to CXR or EXR to be able to open the image later in the CIE for post processing and LightMix (LightMix and denoising only if it's a CXR; EXRs will just be able to have regular image post-processing done on them). You can also Resume Render from a CXR, which would reload the image into the VFB and resume rendering (but that doesn't sound like what you want to do?)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-10-22, 11:02:29
Reply #2

mancdan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah CIE, I had no idea it existed. Exactly what I'm looking for thanks. Any reason 'Open' is not an option in the main VFB? Why do we need a separate standalone application for this? Could it not just be part of the VFB? Just curious.

What I mean by autosave. Well, it's not really autosave just a specific output path on render completion.
Say I render View_A and set an output save path to P:/xxxx/xxx/View_A.cxr, that finishes rendering and it saves the .cxr to that directory. I move on to View_B set output path to P:/xxxx/xxx/View_B.cxr, press render. That finishes and saves to that directory.

I will generally have a number of views in my max file, and (in vray) I save all of my render settings as an .rps for each view. So if I have to revisit the view and render it again, I just load in the .rps, select the correct view in my scene -render, and it will save out the image to the previously specified network directory in the .rps when it's finished.

Essentially, I want set an output path for renders onto our network on render completion. At the moment, for me at least, it seems I have to wait for the render to end and save out a .cxr to a specific netowrk directory manually. Then move onto the next view and so and so on...
« Last Edit: 2019-10-22, 11:06:45 by mancdan »

2019-10-22, 12:00:53
Reply #3

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
VFB is not image editor, if you save CRX for resume rendering it will be very big with tone of layers, if you rendering animation this will be huge folder. For image viewing 3ds max have own tools. Also corona have autosave feature in system settings
Also saving on network this is bad idea, you may sync folder to copy your files but not saving during rendering, this is slowly down rendering and may lose files.

2019-10-22, 12:24:03
Reply #4

mancdan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just want Corona to save out my render to a network path as .CXR at render completion. Is this possible or not?

I do not like the idea of relying on an autosave feature to do this on my local drive.

2019-10-22, 12:33:39
Reply #5

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

You can use the Render Output path in the 3ds Max Render Setup -> Common Tab.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-10-22, 13:27:01
Reply #6

mancdan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy moly I'd completely forgotten about the max file output after using vrays for many years.

gah

Thanks!

2019-10-22, 14:38:29
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Lots of reasons for the CIE - e.g. you just want to do some adjustments to an image, you don't have to wait for Max to open. You want to just edit an image, you won't have the chance to confuse yourself that the image in the VFB is from the current scene where you can get into a bit of a mess by erasing your image by starting or resuming a render where the scene doesn't match the image. The CIE is "leaner and meaner" so can do some things faster since it's not inside Max. You can batch script the CIE to process multiple images at once. And so on :)

2019-10-22, 14:41:54
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW, in case you didn't know - you can save post-processing .conf files and LightMix .conf files from the VFB and the CIE, and load them into either too, making it easy to save and reuse particular settings across multiple images and so on. So if you come up with a great LightMix in the CIE while simply editing a previous render, and want to apply it to the next render you do from another camera, you can save the LightMix .conf from the CIE and load it into the VFB (and vice versa, if during the next render you come up with an even better LightMix, can just save from VFB and load into CIE - same with tone mapping settings).

2019-10-22, 22:57:47
Reply #9

mancdan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lots of reasons for the CIE - e.g. you just want to do some adjustments to an image, you don't have to wait for Max to open. You want to just edit an image, you won't have the chance to confuse yourself that the image in the VFB is from the current scene where you can get into a bit of a mess by erasing your image by starting or resuming a render where the scene doesn't match the image. The CIE is "leaner and meaner" so can do some things faster since it's not inside Max. You can batch script the CIE to process multiple images at once. And so on :)

Interesting!

Cheers for this!