Author Topic: Please invert-Y on normal maps  (Read 4763 times)

2017-11-10, 20:12:18

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Could this be please changed to work finally work the same as all other renderers.
The default settings are fit for DX maps but OpenGL maps still have to be inverted.
It can be quite tedious to have to invert them manually when using many maps.
It would also decrease the (small degree but still relevant) amount of threads/posts of people saying that their bump/normals are broken.

2017-11-11, 00:10:57
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you looking for the settings that are in Corona Normal Map Shader?

2017-11-11, 01:18:38
Reply #2

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
No, I know of that Setting.

The thing is that for OpenGL Normal Maps to work properly, they have to manually be inverted along the Y/Green in the CRN NRM Shader.
This, however, shouldn't be as only Game engines and a few other programs use that as their default.
So it would be time to set it to the normal standard.

We've had a topic about that we're "we" found out that Corona doesn't behave like other renderers concerning those maps but nothing has happened since and I think it would be time to remind the devs of that.
edit: here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17406.0
« Last Edit: 2017-11-11, 01:28:17 by Eddoron »

2017-11-11, 02:29:00
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. We had that discussion in Max too. And after changing the default back and forth, Corona decided to keep it as the default in Max. Some user use primarily one kind of standard, and other uses primarily the other standard, and then some use both equally much.

Might be different for C4D users, but "like every other renderes" doesn't quite sound right from a Max users point of view - unless there's a bug.....

2017-11-11, 03:38:40
Reply #4

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
For me, it just seems logical to do it.
The devs are trying to please the C4D users by making many things work as the people are used to from the native settings.
For MAX it might be different, the axis configuration is also different. I'm aware that "not all renderers" use the same normal map format but nowadays, those two setups have emerged as something like a standard for the type of content one wants to create.
Btw, now that Arnold is Max's default renderer, how's the setup there? Was the order changed specifically for MAX users? I'm curious.

If C4D CRN default isn't changed inside or a default checked box for the Y inversion in the shader, then it'd be nice to have a setting in the global preferences or a button to switch them in the materials.

Or maybe, I'll make an xpresso script for that, sell it and sleep on a pile of cash.
« Last Edit: 2017-11-11, 03:50:04 by Eddoron »

2017-11-11, 05:46:01
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
there are many different standards, i use whatever works.. otherwise do the homework
i know that thread, tested, saw the results, thought "TYVM!", then left the building... & IMHO is about simple preferential problem

do let me see what the real problem is here, because if i set it good it shows as good... also, Y can be inverted

& pls, don't beat around the bush
keep topics together

tnx

2017-11-11, 10:41:52
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
IMHO Corona should respect its host app's standards. 3ds Max by default uses DirectX (-Y) normal maps, so Corona Team wisely decided to stick with that as default, but if C4D uses OpenGL, then Corona for C4D should be set to OpenGL by default too, unless it could cause problems with export to standalone...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures