Author Topic: Render Node using More Ram Than Host in DR  (Read 7780 times)

2017-11-03, 18:03:45

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As the title suggests when I use DR, my render node is using nearly 15GB more RAM than the host workstation.

Any reason why?  Seems odd

2017-11-03, 18:11:53
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also when I start the DR server on the node it says it's using 5.8GB of RAM and it isn't even doing anything.  No other programs are open, it's a brand new machine (i9 Extreme).

My host workstation is an older twin Xeon E5-2640 v3, when rendering the i9 uses nearly 50GB of RAM and the Xeon uses around 35GB

2017-11-05, 17:03:38
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just bumping this - it's pretty urgent, my node is slowing down dramatically as it's maxing out the 64GB RAM, even though the scene is only using less than 40GB on the host machine.

2017-11-06, 09:55:54
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, and sorry for the delay.

First of all - is this happening only in one specific scene, or is there also a big RAM difference if you render something super simple like one teapot, one light, and one texture?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-07, 15:26:06
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Happens on all my scenes, doesn't help that the DRServer sits idle at 7.8GB.

I've checked with a friend who uses Corona via DR and it's the same for him.

I'm due to render later and will grab a screenshot showing host ram and dr ram during the render - but they're insanely different.

2017-11-15, 16:38:21
Reply #5

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok so finally got a photo of this.  The image is of the Host PC (Twin Xeon - Win 10 - 64GB RAM)

You can see in the DR tab the Node PC (I9 - Win 10 - 64GB RAM) is using nearly 50GB RAM.

The render dialogue and task manager of the Hose PC clearly show it as using around 28GB RAM.

So why is the Node PC using an additional 20GB RAM+ to render the exact same scene?

There are 6 render elements (3 CMasking_Mask, 3 RawComponent).

This is happening on all of my jobs.

As previously mentioned, just launching the DR Server on the Node PC, it uses 8GB of RAM when it's not even rendering?

2017-11-15, 17:11:01
Reply #6

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I could be wrong but I don't believe this is unusual behavior. The DR status is reporting all the RAM being consumed by the system, not just the corona Dr server. The 7.9 GB you're seeing is just what the system is using at idle. If you open task manager on your node while rendering you should see similar consumption when rendering. 

Currently my DrServer is reporting 11.4GB used on my render node, with only the DrServer running on that machine (along side other software my company runs in the background) and my primary workstation is reporting only 10.9GB (from task manager>performance) with multiple tabs open in Chrome, Affinity Photo with a 32-bit document open, Skype, Outlook, and the same background software running. It is a little peculiar to me my node is using that much RAM without additional software, but I never encounter issues with my node exceeding memory limits when rendering scenes that push my RAM to 98% capacity.

Maybe it would be helpful if you post screenshots of your task manager on all active machines while rendering. Edit: I see there is a 15% disparity between your host machine and node. I'll be rendering later this afternoon and I'll check to see if the behavior is the same for me.

2017-11-15, 22:22:31
Reply #7

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The node should be using less - it's a brand new machine, never been used for anything other than installing max and corona, clean install etc - in that screenshot - on my host machine I also had photoshop open, auto cad, chrome with a million tabs open etc etc

2017-11-16, 11:41:32
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think what is reported in the VFB is the commit size or virtual memory. I will try to find out what it is exactly and return here with a better answer.
Meanwhile: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17892.0

2017-11-16, 14:25:24
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, the nodes are reporting all the currently used virtual memory, so I think it is normal that some very high numbers may appear in there, even higher than the amount of RAM physically installed on the node.

2017-11-21, 13:08:05
Reply #10

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmmm, let me check the task manager on both for what Max is using then.  I'm getting out of RAM errors on the node and not the host.  The host has a number of different applications running, the node has had a fresh boot and DRServer is the only thing I've fired up.

2017-11-22, 01:09:02
Reply #11

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok so I've just checked this in task manager on both Host and Node.

3DS Max on both reports RAM usage as follows:

Host - 24GB RAM

Node - 39GB RAM

Just to confirm that's directly from the task manager, checked locally on both machines.  15GB more RAM being used by Max on the node to render the same scene?

2017-11-22, 09:37:50
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you post screenshots of the task manager from node and master? I think it is possible that more RAM is reserved for the node.

2017-11-22, 14:31:23
Reply #13

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It’s not going to tell you any more than i’ve already said.  I’m not making it up.  And going back to my origi al question.  WHY would it reserve/use more RAM on the node?

There are no other instances of max open on either machine.  I launch dR server on the node.  I press render on the host.  Leave them for a bit to get into the render and finish parsinrg etc.  Then check task manager on both, and 3ds max is using 15gb more ram on the node.  There’s nothing else to say.  To get screenshots i’ll need to refender it and i’m working on something else right now

2017-11-27, 22:16:28
Reply #14

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just bumping this as I'm back in the office, just checked on a different scene and the same thing is happening.

I checked both Task Managers during the render, all I looked at was the memory usage for 3ds Max, and the node is 100% using A LOT more ram than the host.