Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Bug Reporting

Forest invisible on Camera doesn't work.

(1/2) > >>

Herve-Marmillot:
Hi,

I would like to report something who doesn't seem to work for me, maybe it's the same for some of you :

I'm used to render scenes with Vray with Forest objects (trees) as non-visible for the camera (right click -> Object properties -> "Visible for the camera" UNCHECKED)
In sort of render just the shadows of my trees in my picture, but witouth the 3D trees... Let me know if you don't understand my case.

This is not working with Corona, and either not in the Interactive Mode, the Forest trees are still visible in the frame.

I just downloaded Corona 1.8 and it's the same.

Can someone check if it's also the same problem ?
Maybe someone have a solution to get around this and to have to results wanted ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if the subject was already treated.

Hervé Marmillot

TomG:
Sounds like a case for the RaySwitch material - create a RaySwitchMtl, add a CoronaMtl into the Global Illumination slot, and leave the rest blank, and apply the RaySwitchMtl to your trees. They will then affect GI (e.g. cast shadows, bounce light) but be invisible directly. You could make the CoronaMtl pure black if you didn't want them bouncing light.

Frood:
Corona can do the rayswitching internally, so no twiddle with materials is needed:

- find the objects you are scattering (not the ForestObject itself)
- select object properties
- untick "visible to camera"

Same for render pass selections where you have to select the instanced objects. This behaviour is discussed frequently and may change in future.

Good Luck

Herve-Marmillot:

--- Quote from: TomG on 2017-10-25, 19:16:13 ---Sounds like a case for the RaySwitch material - create a RaySwitchMtl, add a CoronaMtl into the Global Illumination slot, and leave the rest blank, and apply the RaySwitchMtl to your trees. They will then affect GI (e.g. cast shadows, bounce light) but be invisible directly. You could make the CoronaMtl pure black if you didn't want them bouncing light.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your help, but doesn't work when I apply the RayswitchMtl on the Forest. It should be applied on the scattered object itself, but it's a Forest Library so the scattered object isn't in the scene... And I would find a better solution than open the 3D object, apply the RaySwitchMtl, save it, reopen the global scene, scatter the new object...

--- Quote ---Corona can do the rayswitching internally, so no twiddle with materials is needed:

- find the objects you are scattering (not the ForestObject itself)
- select object properties
- untick "visible to camera"

Same for render pass selections where you have to select the instanced objects. This behaviour is discussed frequently and may change in future.
--- End quote ---

Same problem here, I should open my 3D trees in an other max, untick "visible to the camera", then reopen the scene... That''s not as fast as I did with Vray.

But thanks for your help, this two method can be solution for the moment...

Hervé

Frood:

--- Quote from: Herve-Marmillot on 2017-10-26, 09:43:06 ---Same problem here, I should open my 3D trees in an other max

--- End quote ---

So you are using custom xref objects to scatter? Because Forest standard libraries do not xref anymore by default since a few versions (objects get allways copied to forest_templates layer). Well in this case it's in fact as cumbersome as you described.

Good Luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version