Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Bug Reporting

Render to Texture issue (Normal Map Raytacing issue?)

(1/6) > >>

Cobra8472:
Hi Everyone,

Our texturing process is built upon baking in lighting information and data into a flat diffuse.
I'm running into an issue, where normal maps when doing a diffuse render to texture are providing incorrect surface information.

It may be easiest for me to illustrate via some simple imagery.

Here is a simple viewport render with a simple reflective material and HDRI background:
www.leatherneck-sim.com/RTT_Bug_01.jpg

Here is the exact same setup, rendered to texture. Note the seams on the front.
www.leatherneck-sim.com/RTT_Bug_02.jpg

If I unify the normals on the part in question, I get the same issue in the viewport render. See image below.
www.leatherneck-sim.com/Issue_01.jpg

Here is a more illustrative view of the issue in the RTT window:
www.leatherneck-sim.com/issue_02.jpg

This leads me to believe it may be something smoothing group/vertex normal/face normal related?
Perhaps there is a difference in how the surface normal is used in RTT? It happens on almost every surface, it's just most obvious on the front corners.

This happens with: Corona 1.4, Vray 3.2, MentalRay in 3Ds Max 2017.
Here is a image for reference of the complete asset: www.leatherneck-sim.com/HUD.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Nick

More info on the issue and scene to reproduce are in #24 post
romullus

romullus:
Corona doesn't support projection mapping RTT, so you have to bake your normal maps elsewhere. You can read everything you need to know about normal maps here: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map an here: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Modeling

Cobra8472:
Hi Romullus,

Thanks for the reply-- but this is not about baking normal maps. The normal maps is done, baked by another tool and applied to the object.
The issue, in short: The normal map in render to texture is rendered incorrectly on the object. It works fine in the viewport.

romullus:
Can you tell how normal maps on your model looks when doing regular rendering, not RTT? Maybe you have somerender time modifiers that affects smoothing on your object?

lacilaci:
This issue looks like exactly what happens when you don't use cage for normal projection or average normals function(substance painter) the curvature of that rounded edge is being projected on the planes from 90 degree angle instead averaging it towards the edge.

Are you sure your normals aren't showing those seams elsewhere, only after RTT?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version