Author Topic: picker RGB / sRGB  (Read 5656 times)

2016-10-25, 23:59:08

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
What does it mean "Mono" in pixel information? Is it luminosity value in RGB space? Can I get this info in sRGB?
Is there any way to get average luminosity value of bitmap in preview in material editor? May be some plugin?

PS. How to get this color picker? Is it from daily build?
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,13570.0.html

2016-10-26, 09:44:32
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think mono is R+G+B/3.
You can change default colour picker there: customize>preferences>general>color selector>Corona improved picker
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-26, 10:26:41
Reply #2

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Wait hold on a sec..
Can anybody please explain the above to me.
Lets say for example I want to make a wood material , do I take my colour picker
and pick the colour on this chart and paste into albedo slot for example and similarly then for the
gloss and reflection ? I have just kinda always fiddled with these setting until it looks right.

2016-10-26, 10:43:44
Reply #3

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
Wait hold on a sec..
Can anybody please explain the above to me.
Lets say for example I want to make a wood material , do I take my colour picker
and pick the colour on this chart and paste into albedo slot for example and similarly then for the
gloss and reflection ? I have just kinda always fiddled with these setting until it looks right.

Sure. It's a goal. :)

http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/materialref02.png

2016-10-26, 10:46:43
Reply #4

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
I think mono is R+G+B/3.
You can change default colour picker there: customize>preferences>general>color selector>Corona improved picker

Thank you Romullus. It's great.

Is there a list of all improvements which we got and don't know about? :)

2016-10-26, 10:53:58
Reply #5

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
2 Jadefox.

There is no need to take RGB value for albedo, cause you have your own wood bitmap. But luminosity of your albedo bitmap you may change according to this chart. And of course reflect and specular you may take as is or, if you use bitmaps for them, to adjust their luminosity too.

2 all

My question is about how to check average luminosity of bitmap inside max... Especially after color correction...

2016-10-26, 11:20:12
Reply #6

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
Another question:

In color catalogs we have LRV number  (Light Reflectance Value) for every color. What does it mean in Corona material terms?

2016-10-26, 11:23:05
Reply #7

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
This is why the Reflectance and Transmittance values we fount in the Material Editor are so useful as they do this job "automatically", They give Avg and Max values for each plain color or bitmap used.
But with Corona don't work. I always used them with Iray and MR years ago.

2016-10-26, 12:23:12
Reply #8

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
This is why the Reflectance and Transmittance values we fount in the Material Editor are so useful as they do this job "automatically", They give Avg and Max values for each plain color or bitmap used.
But with Corona don't work. I always used them with Iray and MR years ago.

Hey!!! It works when you enter into the bitmap and turn off "show end results".
Great !!!!!!!!!

2016-10-26, 12:35:42
Reply #9

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Yes but it doesn't calculate the reflection and refraction values + the diffuse numeric values as well. By doing this in the bitmap level it sees only the bitmap and that's it.
In the other hand Iray does! I remember I asked to the Iray dev team this and in a few days was all setup! :)

2016-10-26, 12:48:08
Reply #10

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
Never used it before. If I understand right, I get the luminosity value of bitmap here, so I can play with output or color correction to get needed value for my reflection, refraction, glossy slots etc.

2016-10-26, 13:36:28
Reply #11

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
With the Colrona shader you miss the influence of all the root values: Reflection, refraction, self illumination ecc.
The Iray Material for example when it gives Reflectance and Transmittance values takes in count all of the values in the material and I think this is very useful and great!

In any case here is how it works (very simple):

To be physically corrected your Reflectance value must never go over 80% / 85%. A white paper, which is the most white element we have in the real world, after the snow, should use 80% of Avg. value. A white paint wall is around 65% / 70% and so on...

What is the Reflectance value? Very simple: A paper (Avg. 80%) receives 100% of luminosity and reflects 80% of it in the space.

The Avg. value represents the average value of your bitmap while the Max value reads the most bright pixel of it. This is very useful as you may have a 65% Avg. value while some pixels are positioned to a 90% Max. and this is not ok. In this case you should go in Photoshop and lower the bright levels of it till you read a lower Max. value.

It's a shame we can't use this tool in Corona as it can help a lot to avoid easily albedo problems.

2016-10-26, 14:09:29
Reply #12

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 would be a great tool to review shaders

Edit: we should make a feature request for this