Author Topic: 1.5 DB 13-7-2016 - SSS Artifacts and slowness  (Read 3922 times)

2016-07-14, 10:14:04

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The latest 1.5 DB shows some problems when SSS is used, see attached images. When using SSS the material displays facets, this didn't happen in 1.4.
Also, it seems that SSS is slower, mostly noticeable using maps in diffuse/reflection etc channel. Displaying a simple material preview takes 4 seconds with some maps for example, with SSS enabled (setting Absorption distance to >1) the time it takes to display the preview doubles.

2016-07-14, 11:00:37
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, forgot to add that the facets only appear when using SSS with refraction, using fraction only works fine and doesn't show them, it's also rendering faster than with refraction.

2016-07-14, 15:06:37
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think the faceting is something new, see:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000012390-my-sss-objects-are-faceted-

But it would be great if you could check if there is any difference between the newest daily and any other builds (1.4? 1.3?) nonetheless.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-07-14, 16:27:49
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Never came across this, probably because I didn't care to open the material preview in a bigger window - my bad.

Still, I'm seeing slower update times if SSS is based on refraction... I'm quite certain this was not the case before.

2016-07-22, 16:41:14
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Can you provide a scene/material sample where a significant difference (either in quality or speed) happens?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-07-22, 17:08:29
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This happened on a fresh simple scene, with a sphere with an SSS material - nothing complicated really.
The difference was noticeable between the two SSS modes - fraction and refraction - where the refraction mode was the one that took longer to update and render.

2016-07-22, 17:17:09
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
still though, without solid evidence, there is no bug. It is perfectly normal that the different modes render differently, I was under the impression that it was not the case before - that would indeed be a bug
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-07-22, 18:44:18
Reply #7

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
still though, without solid evidence, there is no bug. It is perfectly normal that the different modes render differently, I was under the impression that it was not the case before - that would indeed be a bug
I didn't test against 1.3, and as you say no hard evidence, more along the lines of 'this used to be faster'.
Maybe move to post to resolved and I'll keep an eye on this and report back once I have a more solid impression.

2016-07-25, 11:29:13
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yep... it is nothing personal, just my experience that "feeling this used to be faster" disappears when compared with older version ;)

2016-07-25, 12:34:28
Reply #9

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, probably safe to assume it's in the same category ;)
Thanks!